It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:54

Page 22 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 00:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While Macross II was better and closer to the story it wasn't great either.

You can make lightning strike twice but who cares when the first was an amazing spectacle.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 02:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Plus is fine...it's just not Macross. Probably should have just called it something else.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 02:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

“Jealous Hot Heads With Pointy Noises”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 03:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:

:clap: :lol:

I forgot to mention that, I hate this era of anime, its really horrible and you can see they were trying harder than hard to get
us to accept it as mainstream.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2019, 21:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
While Macross II was better and closer to the story it wasn't great either.

No it wasn't but it the VF-2SS is a classic. Mikimoto designs, decent dogfights compared to Macross 7 and the story in concert with the video games is good. It all builds on the DYRL? telling of events. It was made before the market for anime completely changed. Apparantly it's all made for young women in university or something now.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was thinking about buying this myself, but if anyone's interested, Mandarake has this Tetsujin 28 laserdisc for sale.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 17:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i rented both MACROSS II; THE MOVIE and PATLABOR 2 from HOLLYWOOD VIDEO
when i staying at my grandma's back around 1996.

MACROSS II was sensationally awesome, easily the best Anime i had yet seen to that point.

PATLABOR 2 however, was... the most mind-numbingly dull anything i had seen in recent months at the time.

i suppose that speaks volumes on just how base and simple i actually am.

still and all, i own MACROSS II on MANGA VIDEO MOVIE form, on both VHS and DVD,
as well as the original U.S. RENDITIONS three-part VHS release;

however, to this day, i haven't bothered to see PATLABOR 2 again since i was 14/15 back in '96,
while i've seen MACROSS II numerous times since i first got my MANGA VIDEO MOVIE VHS copy around 1997/'98.

that said, i really ought to make an effort to pick up a good copy of the HONNEAMISE DVD special edition of PATLABOR 2,
if nothing else than to be a proper companion to the same edition of PATLABOR I
i picked up for dirt cheap on the BAY a couple years back...

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 19:06 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

:clap: :lol:

I forgot to mention that, I hate this era of anime, its really horrible and you can see they were trying harder than hard to get
us to accept it as mainstream.

(I meant to say pointy noses.)

I can’t agree with that. Loads of good stuff came out at the same time, like Giant Robo for example.

In Plus I appreciate the attention to detail as far as the aerospace aspect of things go. It’s both realistic and able to convey excitement which a lot of things don’t. The concert experiences are super cool and the subsequent decades have brought us slightly closer to Sharon Apple. Top tier shows (ie Roger Waters: The Wall, Lady Gaga, whatever) now have muti channel sound, holograms, etc.

However it’s the characters I hate and that’s probably what breaks it for most people. I guess Isamu is the least hate-able but...I find depictions of human behaviors in sci-fi is often like this for some reason. At one point most sci-fi had a military or nautical discipline to it, like Flash Gordon or Doc Savage or Journey Into Space or Buck Rogers but then at some point that became super stale and people wanted the...I don’t know. Sort of Marvel Comics or maybe it’s Star Wars type individualism versus Star Trek, something like that. “Flawed characters”, some would say.

Exactly where it becomes hack is debatable but at some point it just fails to be believable. I mean, don’t get me wrong, Navy test points have alllll sorts of personal problems I’m sure but it does take a very disciplined person to be a top shelf pilot or crack marine unit or super SEAL or whatever. These are people who keep military hours, study and train all through their professional lives, and were able to rise above all their contemporaries...yet they can’t stop sleeping with each other and decking each other out while on duty? These jerks would be fired from McDonalds on their first day for failing the psychological profile.

Guld is walking around in a 24/7 ‘roid rage and they give him a ship he controls with his mind? WTF?!? It’s makes no sense. I mean, it so stupid it makes even less sense that a guy controlling his plane with a guitar. It’s totally preposterous. Even in a world with magic song cannons and 50 foot clone warriors and transforming jets it’s super unrealistic. You just don’t give your most high end experimental fighter plane to an obvious psychopath. Michael Vick is not an F-35 pilot.

I’ve been watching Araiguma Rascal: Memorial Box [PILA-1450], this time with my three year old. It’s much different now since I went to the Sterling North home in Egerton, Wi in 2018. I now have seen and touched the very things depicted in the show, like Rascal’s high chair. The anime is extremely respectful of the source material as you’d expect from 70s NHK depictions of western works. Rascal’s tree fell over before I could see it, sadly, but there is still a lot to see for any fans of the show who happen to be in a nowhere location like central Wisconsin. Rascal is still one of Nippon Animations most lucrative merchandising franchises even 40 years after the show aired yet no one I talked to in Wisconsin or Michigan remembers the book at all from my experience except for people in the Sterling North Society. It’s a very good book. Like an Old Yeller for indoors kids, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by signofzeta on 10 Jan 2019, 19:29, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 19:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Been watching Macross Plus.

WTF how does this have anything to do with the original series in anyway??
Am I missing something here.

From the one Macross 7 film I saw that fits more into the series than this.

Yep, it's an off-the-shelf OAV series based on Top Gun that Kawamori shoe horned into the Macross franchise.

Impressive sequences in parts but is not in any way Macross.

I don't consider any Kawamori-verse Macross to be true canon either. Macross ends with the Saturn/PC Engine games/Macross II in the true canon.

It was a common thing at the time. Gundam 0080 and 0083 are the same idea. The original universe was so pristine they were afraid to do anything so until they could get their stuff together they put out side stories where no matter what happens it’s contained. They were afraid to make something not worthy of the name “Macross” so they call it a Macross side story instead. When Star Wars did this they called it Shadows of the Empire.

The real sequel was of course 7 (even has at least four of the same characters in it) but it was made for Japanese TV audiences who loved it to death. Plus was made for the international market and was retooled for tools who only had VCRs (no otaku market anime on TV at the time in the US/UK) who loved it it death. It worked out pretty well for both types. I know a lot of people who really like Plus and 7 but they are often not fans of both. :)

II was a cheap churned out sequel but it had much more in common with Macross on the surface so for several reasons has international fans. I do like the designs a great deal and certain scenes look wonderful but it’s a bunt if there ever was one. A bet played so safe that it’s boring. Everything is the same with a “II” added onto it and nothing is achieved. Cel work is good but the animation itself isn’t very good at all. It’s also got dust and scratches on everything. I know, I saw the US theatrical release of this at the Nickerbocker Theater in Holland, Mi. I don’t remember the year but LD-era OVAs look terrible on a massive screen, I remember that.

All of them are better than Gundam’s MS Igloo.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2019, 23:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Characters should absolutely have flaws, it makes them more real. That's why stuff like Cowboy Bebop is actually great (overrated maybe but still great). Shows where all the protags are superhero invincible white knights are boring.

All the actual Macross shows are pretty good tbh. I've got a few figures from Frontier, since I can't buy DVD or BD of it in this country. Frontier is GREAT.

Oh and since you mentioned it, f**k Igloo Gundam.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 00:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Frontier made a better PSP game than a show, IMHO.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 01:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Tasuke, respect for the original US Renditions tapes. I wanted them so bad when I saw the ads on the back of mags like Protoculture Addicts and in comics..never got em

signofzeta wrote:
forper wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Been watching Macross Plus.

WTF how does this have anything to do with the original series in anyway??
Am I missing something here.

From the one Macross 7 film I saw that fits more into the series than this.

Yep, it's an off-the-shelf OAV series based on Top Gun that Kawamori shoe horned into the Macross franchise.

Impressive sequences in parts but is not in any way Macross.

I don't consider any Kawamori-verse Macross to be true canon either. Macross ends with the Saturn/PC Engine games/Macross II in the true canon.

They were afraid to make something not worthy of the name “Macross” so they call it a Macross side story instead.

No I think it was just Kawamori's taste. It is and has alway been "official" Macross canon. Ever since Kawamori took over..It was in the timelines since it and 7 came out.

0080 and 0083 are far superior products, worthy of Gundam.

Quote:
The real sequel was of course 7

No it wasn't, both it and Plus were both Kawamori-verse sequels.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019, 21:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched 4 episodes of Zeta Gundam today. Kamille really is an a*****e.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 00:52 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:

What translation are you viewing, btw?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hey, no LD boxset for V-Gundam or Vifam/Vifam 13?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 03:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Whatever is on the US BD. I would assume it is the same as the translation on the old US DVDs but sometimes things do get retranslated.

forper wrote:

I need to grab the BDs for this while they are still in print. Pretty much the only UC thing I am missing along with Ep 5-6 of Origin.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 05:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I might be crazy but I only like Macross Plus both OAVs and edited movie

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 09:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Whatever is on the US BD. I would assume it is the same as the translation on the old US DVDs but sometimes things do get retranslated.

forper wrote:

I need to grab the BDs for this while they are still in print. Pretty much the only UC thing I am missing along with Ep 5-6 of Origin.

I was just wondering. I find a lot of people don’t like him and he’s not exactly supposed to be likeable but back in the day he seemed less hated by fans I knew who only saw Gundam before it was out in the US.

When he’s in the MkII, in the old fansub I had, and he’s threatening to squash the guard the beat him up he says, “How’d you like to be lynched unilaterally!?” instead of in the US DVD where he says something like “how’s it feel to be bullied”. Sometimes the little things make a big difference and with Japanese being such a crazy simple and vague langue yet filled with subtlety it’s hard to strike a consistent tone. In this case it’s the difference between him sounding like a smart punk student or just a brat.

I think Tomino does that thing that Lucas does where he makes “the youth” so damned annoying you actually want him to fall in the lava. Eventually he grows up fast. It’s best to make peace with him early on in the show or it will only delay your seeing the tears of time and that’s the important thing. He’s a tragic character and he’s one of many. That show is a meat grinder.

I don’t go to many forums these days but I’m curious what the take is on Zeta these days. Are the movies considered cannon or the show? And how does Zeta’s revised ending in the movies change things. For example ZZ, which would have massive knockon effects for Unicorn?

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Zeta movies aren't canon.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 14:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Subtle changes in subtitles can definitely make a big difference. I wish in general that the original writer/creator could be more involved, at least leaving some tone notes or something. I suppose ideally I'd know Japanese, but I am dumb and old.

He's a dick at times and he clearly has issues with killing still as well.

Page 22 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 64  Next