It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:18

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: How good is a Sony MDP-800
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 07:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

my smartphone is an unlocked Japanese market Docomo Sony Xperia SX SO-05D. I got it in 2012, still goin strong after a battery changeout. They don't make phones this small and pocket friendly anymore, never want to upgrade if possible. If I can find another SO-05D in mint condition I'm buying, just as a backup. Never had any BS like cases or screen protectors or anything for it and the screen is still almost unscratched.

Runs podcasts and email so I'm good.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 17:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Had a Sony MDP-A3 (Asian version of the MDP-650--newer model than the one in this thread.)

Though it was a good player until it got the dreaded darkening image problem. Back then I just thought that it was just a piece of video equipment getting worse with age like how a TV or VCR would (even if it was only after 3 years of usage.) After replacing it with a DVL-919 (which even my friends commented that the picture was WAAAAAY better than the Sony for LD) and reading up some more on the webs, I learned that the problem I had was not unique and quite common with Sony players. And also that many other older LD players are still running strong without much issues.

I just found it odd that Sony being such a great electronics company and did so many other products so well, just couldn't get LD right.

Even their pressing plant was horrible for turning out a high rate of rotting LDs (beware anything from Sony DADC!!!)

Now, I certainly wouldn't point and laugh at anyone who's got a good working Sony LD player. If it works what's wrong with that?

Just that I'd be apprehensive about getting another Sony LD player. Maybe if I got one for really cheap or free, but I'd have to test it out.

Hell, I was thinking about giving another Sony player another chance after reading up on the MDP-605, but even that appears to have gremlins in it as the caps leak--ultimately destroying the player.

So I'll stick with my other Sony products/tech that they got right, like Betamax (both my Betas from the 80s and early 90s still work like a champ!), Minidisc and Trinitron.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2019, 18:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
my smartphone is an unlocked Japanese market Docomo Sony Xperia SX SO-05D. I got it in 2012, still goin strong after a battery changeout. They don't make phones this small and pocket friendly anymore, never want to upgrade if possible. If I can find another SO-05D in mint condition I'm buying, just as a backup. Never had any BS like cases or screen protectors or anything for it and the screen is still almost unscratched.

Runs podcasts and email so I'm good.

Most people I know and in my family have an iPhone. My company gives out iPhones as company phones. When almost everyone you text with uses Messages it becomes very handy. Losing the Messages app would probably not be worth a switch however Sony has the only USDM phones I actually like. Mainly because they still make a smaller one. My carrier doesn’t do Sony though so I’d have to lose Messages and switch carriers which is all just not worth it. Also Sony is as headphone jackless as everyone else now so I’m going to run this iPhone SE into the ground. It’s already outlasted every iPhone I’ve had.

So I have a NW-A45 which clearly has a lot of phone parts in it. :)

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:29 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Back to the OPs question for a minute - I can't comment on the MDP-800 but still use a Sony MDP-600 which I bought brand new back in 1993. I am not sure what the difference is between the 600 and the 800, but they have the exact same chassis so I'm sure the 800 has improved electronics over my 600.

Everyone here says Sony PQ sucks but personally I've never thought the PQ on my 600 was bad. After joining LDDB and reading all the hoopla about Pioneer players I went out and picked up a Pioneer LD-S9 last year expecting to be blown away by the difference between it and my Sony. To my eye, anyway, they're pretty comparable. I'm using a modern TV so maybe it would be more dramatic if I hooked it up to a good tube.

At any rate, from what I've ready Sony definitely had some lemon players early on, but based on my own experience my 600 has been pretty rock solid for being 25 years old. My Sony sat idle for many years recently but when I finally pulled it out to start using it again all I had to do was blow some dust off the lens. It's developed a random problem where sometimes when it gets to the end of a disc or when I hit Stop something goes wrong and the unit stops responding (sled doesn't home and the unit does a graceful power down). If I unplug it for a while or whack the right side of the case it usually comes back to life - but that's a recent problem, likely due to age.

Again - not sure what the differences are between the 600 and 800, but as a general purpose LD player I'd say go for it.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 10:36 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

randyv wrote:
Back to the OPs question for a minute - I can't comment on the MDP-800 but still use a Sony MDP-600 which I bought brand new back in 1993. I am not sure what the difference is between the 600 and the 800, but they have the exact same chassis so I'm sure the 800 has improved electronics over my 600.

The difference appears to be digital field memory on the 800 so one can freeze frame w/ CLV discs (also gets the job/shuttle remote) and potentially slightly better picture quality. Other than that, they are essentially the same machine.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 19:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If an S9 and any Sony look the same on your TV, IMHO you need to learn how to calibrate your TV. I can only assume they both look terrible.

Btw, there is no Pioneer “hype”. Most of us have Pioneers because they were %95 of the market in the US. They made the discs, they developed the incremental tech like Digital Sound, AC3, both side play (or rather it was all four side play originally) all the karaoke stuff, the CDV, Trick Play, every laser arcade game I’ve ever seen, etc. Pioneer didn’t technically invent Laserdisc but by 1986 it may has well have been the case. Pioneer isn’t “hyped” it’s simply the standard. The top ten best players are all Pioneer and for all we know the bottom ten are too. They made TONS of players. Sony just wanted some of the action and they never got as good at it. I’m not surprised. It must have sucked to do all that work from scratch to build competing players.

When it comes to Minidisc I’ve only ever had Sony. They invented it and ruled at it totally. I’d only ever consider Sony, Sharp and Panasonic back in the day and now I’d stick to Sony and Panasonic exclusivly. When it comes to LD it’s a similar situation. You had Pioneer and maybe I’d get a Panasonic but mainly I’m sticking with Pioneer.

It’s like if you’re drag racing. You just don’t choose Chrysler. Everything is 10x as expensive and nowhere near as proven as the small block Chevy.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 22:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Randy V, you basically support what I've said all along, the only issues I've ever had with Sony players are doors and trays which are sometimes overly complex. I had an S9 and I have to say the picture WAS better, but the sound? Not at all, inferior. None of my Sony's have had this so called dark, fading picture issue, they've all had a solid picture and extremely solid sound. Pioneers I've had, including my "mint condition" S9, all had serious laser issues, sound breaking up on highs, wobbly picture, freezing mid way through a side. Overall I'd definitely say Pioneers are less reliable.

People like Zeta will just say I'm trolling but I've said the same thing here for years.

I've had roughly half a dozen players from each brand over the last decade so my experience is not insignificant.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 23:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sony's **might** someday develop this crazy dark fading picture issue that **some** describe but all S9s (and 704s, 79s, 99s, etc) smear like crazy 100% of the time guaranteed.....

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2