It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:26

Page 3 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 05:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
forper wrote:
I don't care what the director intended. If I did then I would prefer the special edition versions of Star Wars to the '80s home video releases. The special editions are of course what Lucas apparantly "would have done" and wanted.

I want the version that people, including me, actually saw when it came out. You shouldn't mess with history. If some hack producer forced some changes then that's part of history. The movie might have subjectively suffered from changes the director didn't want but maybe not. Whatever, it was the movie you loved or you want to experience as people actually experienced it in that time. you shouldn't mess with history.

I still want a theatrical version of Star Wars. I would buy that on DVD.

So how do you watch Bladerunner, Brazil, Leon, or other movies where the theatrical version was kneecapped by hack producers and finance people and where it’s generally unanimous that re-edited versions are better? What about movies where the version that premiered at Cannes is 8 minutes longer than the eventual world release? Which one is the “original” when there isn’t one?

What about Touch of Evil?

I'd always prefer an original run theatrical version but when that's not available then my ideal version of anything is the best laserdisc version. That's the version that those dudes with cash and taste I talked about before, the ones that I envied, had in their homes in the '80s and '90s.

I basically want to stay in that time forever. The best time. And it's definitely not just nostalgia talking. This world we live in now is completely f***ed up. Go watch The Last Jedi and see some of the reasons why.

This I agree. Late 80s to mid/late 90s were the pinnacle of human society. The best cars, best music, best movies, best electronics. This was the end of the industrial revolution era and the most mature.

We are now in the infant stages of the industrial revolution 2.0 with the advent of high speed internet being broadly available. We will eventually mature but for now very short attention span for anything, fast change, disposable everything, and so on.

Newbies perhaps don’t mind because they don’t know better. Those really old simply have difficulty adopting the new era. Us in between are in struggle.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 09:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Heh, yeah...the 80s sucked, guys. It may have been good for Laserdisc players and the sliver of society that even knew what they were but it was also really great for AIDS, apartheid, Iran-Contra, a bunch of financial deregulation that exploded stuff decades later, GM laying off half its workforce, two major nuclear plant disasters, the space shuttle exploding, televangelism, The Home Shopping Network, someone KILLED that guy from the Beatles (WTF), 34 people were killed by a vocanao IN THE US which is a weird place to die from vocano, there was a famine in Ethiopia that killed a million people, the first Bush invaded Iraq for no reason for the first time, China slaughtered hundreds of student protesters and still bans talk of it from their internet, CNN, Oprah, crack, U2, shoulder pads, the 1989 Pontiac LeMans...

I mean, I like Ghostbusters and acid house as much as anyone but it’s cool to have more than one computer on my block and really awesome brakes on every car sold. I miss some of that stuff but I’m not missing late period Columbo or 1-900 numbers so as long as I’m being selective I might as well enjoy the place where I actually exist. Here a decent video machine isn’t $1200 and recovery time from common surgeries has been reduced by %75. And we get to see whatever happened to that real estate dick from NYC. Go 2019!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 14:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't forget The Young Ones.

This topic is now brilliant!!!!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 16:55 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
Heh, yeah...the 80s sucked, guys. It may have been good for Laserdisc players and the sliver of society that even knew what they were but it was also really great for AIDS, apartheid, Iran-Contra, a bunch of financial deregulation that exploded stuff decades later, GM laying off half its workforce, two major nuclear plant disasters, the space shuttle exploding, televangelism, The Home Shopping Network, someone KILLED that guy from the Beatles (WTF), 34 people were killed by a vocanao IN THE US which is a weird place to die from vocano, there was a famine in Ethiopia that killed a million people, the first Bush invaded Iraq for no reason for the first time, China slaughtered hundreds of student protesters and still bans talk of it from their internet, CNN, Oprah, crack, U2, shoulder pads, the 1989 Pontiac LeMans...

And if you're British, it gets even worse!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 22:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Police Story 1/2 getting a Criterion release. Out in April. Previous BD releases were really disappointing.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019, 23:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
Police Story 1/2 getting a Criterion release. Out in April. Previous BD releases were really disappointing.

I just looked at Criterion's page and it seems they are also releasing a DVD.
I thought that Criterion gave up on DVDs and were just releasing Blurays, very happy to see that they haven't given up on DVDs.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 00:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

There is definitely still a big market for DVDs.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 01:55 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There was something that I wanted from Criterion but didn't see it on DVD, can't remember what it was now?
And they only had the Bluray with no DVD, I wish I could remember, everything I see on their site has a DVD also release.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 02:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
the first Bush invaded Iraq for no reason for the first time,

? That was '91. He called off the full invasion of Iraq, many say foolishly, he just liberated Kuwait.

This was the best war. Reagans awesome war machine that had been built up to fight the Soviets and defeated it without firing a shot (Thank you Reagan, another awesome thing about the '80s the USSR was brought down) was unleashed and boy was it awesome. For a 12 year old war nerd watching at home in my school holidays it was the greatest thing ever, seeing all that hardware kick a**.

Quote:
China slaughtered hundreds of student protesters and still bans talk of it from their internet

Yep and our Prime Minister, Bob Hawke (back when we had real leaders who the people actually liked) sobbed over it in Parliament. He openly criticised the Chinese government, something that now just doesn't happen, because it's "racist" or something to do so.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 03:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:

Oh that is good news.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 03:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
There was something that I wanted from Criterion but didn't see it on DVD, can't remember what it was now?
And they only had the Bluray with no DVD, I wish I could remember, everything I see on their site has a DVD also release.

Yeah I'm not sure what that would be. Everything I can think of also has a DVD release.

signofzeta wrote:
gypsy wrote:

Oh that is good news.

Definitely. I'm pre-ordering once it is up on Amazon.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2019, 23:15 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just finished watching House of Sand and Fog on DVD ( Region 1 DVD ). To me it is a perfect film showing how decisions can alter your life in a life one would have never imagined. Just brilliant.
I don't think this one was ever released on Blu-Ray which is a shame because it is an excellent film.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 15:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Watched a copy of 'It's My Turn', an early generation LD (some snow/rot but mostly in good shape). Jill Clayburgh and Michael Douglas. Not to overgeneralize, but like most guys I'm not into romcoms. When I watch them, they pass/fail based on the chemistry of the leads - which in this case is basically zero. Seems to be a tail-end 'neo-verite' work, replacing glamorous dialogue with workaday, and characters that don't seem to have any problem with cheating/one night stands. Jill seemed to have more chemistry with her (dumped) paramour played by Charles Grodin - as in a value greater than zero! In fact, not sure it qualifies as a romcom as there were no laugh-worthy lines. Even the score got on my nerves.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 05:42 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have just about finished all of STNG. I am about to start watching the X-files :D.

*Just realized these aren't movies :lol:. The most recent movie I watched was the director's cut of Blade Runner, but I watched the criterion version of it right before, but that is another section on lddb all together.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 05:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Maltese Falcon (1941)

Quality acting all around and a fun ride.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 03:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just finished watcing: Gamma 3 or The Green Slime.

Gamma sango uchu daisakusen (Green Slime) (1968) [LSTD01058]

What's interesting is that this is a shorter directors cut of the film that was never released in the USA.

Good monster fun all around. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 13:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Been through a few LDs this weekend.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/50556/G108M5510/Motown-25:-Yesterday-Today-Forever

Good sound quality, great artists and performances and crystal clear picture.

Reminds me of the sheer greatness and of and proliferation of American music. Without it the world would be so much worse.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/33628/L088-5053/Bubblegum-Crisis:-vol.4-Revenge-Road

In 1988 this was impressive cutting edge animation, better than anything done direct to video before. It's still impressive and better than anything in animation today. True bubble era lavishness. Excellent LD PQ and SQ..

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/51058/L098-1045/Minako-Honda:-The-Virgin-Live-in-Budokan

I paid a pretty high price for this, Y5000 but it's worth every yen. Probably view once a month, easily my favorite music LD out of my whole collection. I just noticed the DVD release is a full 36 minutes shorter (!) and doesn't include one of my favorite tracks "hymns don't sing", I guess that's why the price of the LD is high but I would have paid the high price just for the super smooth analogue video. Still I'm curious about the DVD SQ, the LD is very good but not great.

All these titles remind me that the world definitely peaked in the '80s and '90s.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 16:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Been through a few LDs this weekend.

https://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/50556/G108M5510/Motown-25:-Yesterday-Today-Forever

Good sound quality, great artists and performances and crystal clear picture.

Reminds me of the sheer greatness and of and proliferation of American music. Without it the world would be so much worse.

That is so very true. That is why I am planning to visit Clarksdale, Mississippi, this year as a lot of great musicians came from that place ( Ike Turner, John Lee Hooker,
the great Sam Cooke, even Nate Doog and the rapper Rick Ross are from that place and others ). The world would be a sad place without all of these great African-American musicians.
Of course I also wish to visit Civil War related places when I go there such as the former home of Jefferson Davis.

That sounds like a very nice disc !

I watched A River Runs Through It last night. I was underwhelmed. Yes, the cinematography was great and it deservedly won an oscar for it and the performances were good but
the story overall was a bit boring and predictable. You wait and wait for something exciting to happen and ... nada. I understand that this film got a MUSE release and it is a perfect
film for this sort of medium at that time. But I have seen better films from that period. It is an OK+ film.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 17:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I watched Chinatown about a week ago. I was impressed with the quality of the LD.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2019, 00:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Strange Days

Good AV quality discs, decent movie. Not terrible not amazing.

Page 3 of 76 [ 1502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 76  Next