It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:38

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: [DVL-909] Issues with first minute of side B?
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2015, 12:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a DVL-909, it plays fine for all of side A and 99% of side B but skips and loops a couple of times in the first minute of side B. Always within the first minute, after that it plays through fine 100% of the time. If I FFWD through the couple of skips it will play fine through the rest of side B. I have tested with multiple discs, same result every time. Note that DVD playback is fine, no issues.

I have tried -

1. Cleaning and greasing the rails.
2. Removing, scrubbing, and reinstalling the plastic rail.
3. Shimming the plastic rail to stabilize it.
4. Removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the plastic lever that the assembly stops at when it goes to side B.
5. Adjusting the centering of side B, this seems to have an effect but does not fix (instead of skipping at 14 sec I get it to skip at 20 sec or so).

Any idea what else to try? I am suspecting an issue with that plastic lever because it seems like the assembly just has an issue getting started on side B like it goes too far on the rail and has trouble getting on track but once it starts it is fine.

Should that lever be loose and easily moved back and forth? It almost seems like it should be spring loaded or something to prevent the assembly from going too far but the service manual I found does not show a schematic so I cannot tell?

Is there anything else I should look at / try? The player is in perfect shape otherwise so I really want to get it working 100%. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Post subject: Re: DVL-909 issues with first minute of side B?
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 12:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I was able to get this working fine apparently by (very) fine tuning the centering. I am guessing that a small turn of the white adjustment screw goes a long way, all is good now.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 20:04 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have the EXACT same problem on my DVL-919!

Exactly what adjustment screw did you adjust? What was your method, where it is located ect...

Thanks!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 21:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I would still keep on centering side B if I were you. Seems like you are on the right track since you got some results. Take it slow and mark every turn/move you make, so you can return to base if everything gets worse.
Not an unusual problem with the model, I had some problems within the 20 seconds of side B - scene went into a loop. In my case, - cleaning and new grease applied, solved the problem.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 15:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sega_nomad wrote:
I have the EXACT same problem on my DVL-919!

Exactly what adjustment screw did you adjust? What was your method, where it is located ect...

Thanks!

Sorry just saw your post, here is what I adjusted, they are INCREDIBLY FINE adjustments, just a hair turn is the difference between smooth play and skipping. Once I got it I put some nail polish on the black screw to keep it from coming loose. I had the exact same issue pop up on a DVL-90 so I am guessing this is a common adjustment. Note that both took me hours of trial and error before I finally found the sweet spot....

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2016, 19:11 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you very much for this information! Its so great to have access to all the knowledgeable people on here, the more detailed information like this can help many others for a long time to come. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 12:08 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sega_nomad wrote:
Thank you very much for this information! Its so great to have access to all the knowledgeable people on here, the more detailed information like this can help many others for a long time to come. :thumbup:

Did you get yours fixed?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 03:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pbiancardi wrote:
Did you get yours fixed?

I have yet to get into my DVL-919, I have been side tracked by my current (in progress) CLD-79 repair. I will post my results after I finish the 919.

PostPosted: 15 May 2016, 10:18 
True fan
True fan

I just did the adjustments on the white nob and had the black screw loose, after some fine tuning the player stopped skipping, but when i tightened the black screw back it started skipping again.. losnig up the screw and the player didn't skip. what should i do? :P

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 21:23 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

cpix wrote:
I just did the adjustments on the white nob and had the black screw loose, after some fine tuning the player stopped skipping, but when i tightened the black screw back it started skipping again.. losnig up the screw and the player didn't skip. what should i do? :P

Be patient is my advice, it can be a struggle getting it right.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 16:41 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Hiya pbiancardi

Did the issue have any affect of playing a DVD or just the LD mode only.

Did the player stop playing and go into stop mode?

I'm trying to diagnose the problem with my DVL-909. The issue happens just about any side of the disc after playing for a while I see a bit almost like crosstalk noise then the image goes dark with a some sort of video noise on the screen then the player goes into Stop mode.

The spindle motor sounds fine to me I not heard any squeaking or rubbing noises like the bearings are wearing down.

DVD mode plays fine with no troubles of any sort it seems to be the LD mode.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 03:22 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I think I am on to something. I looked again at the player, and seem to have jogged some memory. In this first image, we see the player, and the red box outlines the second, closeup image.

In the close up, we see the set screw, in black, and what I am calling the cam, in white. This is the adjustment screws we are talking about I think.

I got out my small flathead screw driver and found the cam, was 'loose', and roughly pointed to the position marked by the small red line. With the player playing side B, and in the process of actually skipping at around 56 seconds, I gently turned cam clockwise. The pickup head suddenly moved to around 2 minutes. I stopped the disc, and began again at 0, and it started skipping at around :45. Gently turned just a tiny schosh clockwise, the cam feeling a bit tighter each time. it jumped again. Stopped, and started at 0. This time it played all through 2:00, and I felt the problem was fixed. So I may be onto something. Didn't mess with the set screw yet. I wonder if its loose? or if the cam jumped in transit from the electronics shop?

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 11:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

problems like this are typical with Pioneers. Good luck!

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 19:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
problems like this are typical with Pioneers. Good luck!

No this doesn't count. Nor do the countless Pioneer's that need loading belts, rubber cushions, trays, etc, Pioneer is the most reliable brand dammit!!!!

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Issues with first minute of side B?
PostPosted: 29 May 2020, 23:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hello,
I saw that I am not the only one that have that first minute side B looping issue on my DLV-909.
I tried the method exposed in this page, it was a struggle but it's works!
My experience is explained in this 2 images bellow :
Thanks!
Attachment:
File comment: p1
ReglageLecteurLaserdiscDVL-909LoopingSideB-001.jpg
ReglageLecteurLaserdiscDVL-909LoopingSideB-001.jpg [ 415.11 KiB | Viewed 6871 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: p2
ReglageLecteurLaserdiscDVL-909LoopingSideB-002comp.jpg
ReglageLecteurLaserdiscDVL-909LoopingSideB-002comp.jpg [ 317.39 KiB | Viewed 6871 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 01:20 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think I've posted this before, the real issue is the Pioneer tried a new design for the upper track in the DVL players, there is a piece of the track that extends toward the spindle motor that does not have extra support like the CLD players that used this pickup. I have seen this piece sticking out actually bowed up instead of extending out straight. Resulting in the depth of the pickup gear teeth going into the track in insufficient and the pickup gear will move but it does not contact the track properly to move the pickup. So you can replace the track with one that is not bent up or add something at the end of the arm in a spring tension that puts the track in its proper position but will also allow it to spring up if the switch that informs the electronics that the pickup is near the spindle motor fails (when the switch fails the pickup hits the spindle and the gear keeps turning and the track needs to be able to flex up so that damage does not occur). The older players used a side b track below the pickup and had springs to pull the track up for proper gear contact. Adjusting the top tangental screw on the pickup will sacrifice the alignment and can increase crosstalk and spindle motor centering is not as bad but both are bandages to work around the real design issue.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 02:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rodo wrote:
Hello,
I saw that I am not the only one that have that first minute side B looping issue on my DLV-909.
I tried the method exposed in this page, it was a struggle but it's works!
My experience is explained in this 2 images bellow :

(Message will be removed when fixed)

Hey, your email address is wrong, please fix it soon!

Julien

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 16:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

All DVL models have this issue. I've had to correct it on everything from the DVL-9 through the DVL-H9.

Centering is critically important as mentioned above. I have also found the following to be helpful.

1) Clean off ALL lubrication from the plastic arm. While one might think lubrication will improve the situation, it seems to actually make it worse. I have not tried a silicone lubricate - The lube I've been using is Singer Sewing Machine Lubrication #2129. Do NOT use this on the gears on the pickup.

2) There is a thin lip on the edge of the plastic arm where it rubs up against the pickup. Using a nail file, round off and remove that lip. It only takes one or two swipes with the nail file.

3) The Tangential rest for "B" rides on the lip in the upper carrier. Be sure this area (and on the pickup itself) is clean. Old lube and grime will bind the pickup. I've noticed this not at the beginning of the side, but part way through the side, where it will start to skip back in the middle of the side.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]