It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:38

Page 3 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Japanese Anime releases with English Dubbing
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 11:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
I would recommend staying away from 2.0 unless you like a painfully obvious new CGI mixed with old CGI. The ruined the classic opening for some awful new CGI that doesn't work and the music is different. I would just get the LDs and the 2 disc DVD special Edition. If you have BD then only get the Japanese imports. If you just stick with the LD then copy it to the Harddrive or something so If you can't play the LD anymore you can still watch it.

Wow, glad I don't care for GITS. Appleseed is all I need! And the '80s comics and OVA only!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 16:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
and the only way to see the one for Akira with subtitles instead of the painfully awkward dub is the original Pioneer DVD!

Is this for real? This is the desired release? I actually don't have Akira at all right now and need to remedy that.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 17:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
and the only way to see the one for Akira with subtitles instead of the painfully awkward dub is the original Pioneer DVD!

Is this for real? This is the desired release? I actually don't have Akira at all right now and need to remedy that.

Oh Akira how hard this one is.

I did know at one time but not all of it now.
There were 2 DVD releases and both had subtitles but only one had the original streamline dub, which I like but I would always watch
the LD in Japanese anyway so who cares about the dub.

Both are pretty bad considering they spend a shitton of time and money to sync the voices of the actors with the mouth movements on screen.

So you're better off just watching it in Japanese with English subs only.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 17:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Wow, glad I don't care for GITS. Appleseed is all I need! And the '80s comics and OVA only!

no one would shut up for half a second about GitS back in my early OTAKU days of the mid/late-90's.
it was ALL about MACROSS/ROBOTECH for me back then, with some freshly-discovered GUNDAM thrown in for kicks.

then, suddenly, thanks to stumbling upon series like Galaxy Fraulein Yuna and TENCHI MUYO! my hormones finally began to kick into gear.

it took me until coming across a copy of the MANGA VIDEO LD edition of the GitS movie -in a large-ish Anime LD lot i got for cheap-
before i ever got to see it for the first time, and, to this moment, i'm still wondering what the big furry deal with it actually was, back in the day.

just not my kind of jam, i suppose...

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 17:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:

There were 2 DVD releases and both had subtitles but only one had the original streamline dub, which I like but I would always watch

Both are pretty bad considering they spend a shitton of time and money to sync the voices of the actors with the mouth movements on screen.

I 100% planned to watch the sub, but Takeshi's post made it read like there aren't real subtitles on the BD? I heard from a friend that the US BD is a hot mess anyway.

tasuke wrote:
forper wrote:

no one would shut up for half a second about GitS back in my early OTAKU days of the mid/late-90's.
it was ALL about MACROSS/ROBOTECH for me back then, with some freshly-discovered GUNDAM thrown in for kicks.

then, suddenly, thanks to stumbling upon series like Galaxy Fraulein Yuna and TENCHI MUYO! my hormones finally began to kick into gear.

it took me until coming across a copy of the MANGA VIDEO LD edition of the GitS movie -in a large-ish Anime LD lot i got for cheap-
before i ever got to see it for the first time, and, to this moment, i'm still wondering what the big furry deal with it actually was, back in the day.

just not my kind of jam, i suppose...

It's a masterpiece with interesting things to say. But I digress, the real reason I quoted this was to say EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MANGA. :lol:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 17:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
rein-o wrote:
gypsy wrote:

I 100% planned to watch the sub, but Takeshi's post made it read like there aren't real subtitles on the BD? I heard from a friend that the US BD is a hot mess anyway.

I was talking about the production report...

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 18:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well then, I got really confused there. My bad.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 03:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
xtempo wrote:
I would recommend staying away from 2.0 unless you like a painfully obvious new CGI mixed with old CGI. The ruined the classic opening for some awful new CGI that doesn't work and the music is different. I would just get the LDs and the 2 disc DVD special Edition. If you have BD then only get the Japanese imports. If you just stick with the LD then copy it to the Harddrive or something so If you can't play the LD anymore you can still watch it.

As a manga Appleseed is the best Shirow thing. The thing is, GitS the film isn’t a Shirow thing, it’s an Oshii thing. Shirow wouldn’t have the brains to make the GitS movie, as smart as he is. Oshii essentially pulled a Kubrick on Shirow’s King. The OG Appleseed OVA just sucks. I’m sorry, it sucks. It’s not it’s fault, it wasn’t planned well, but it sucks.

If I meet Oshii at any point I’ll be sure to mention that as good as GitS is, if he wants a REAL hit (which, oh, I’m sure he does) then he needs to have more frilly panties and collectible robot toys to make you and tasuke happy and less of like...accurately predicting the nature of cyber crime before the internet even went public. Too egghead! I mean, near the end of GitS I thought we were going to get some real mall otaku pleasing action when the Major changed to the body of a child but we didn’t even get to see her take a shower so what the hell, amirightoramiright?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 03:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I knew deep down that Zeta was going to unload.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 04:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Hey, I like the OVA of Appleseed, it was one of the first LDs bought almost new, around 1990 from an LD store in San Francisco.
Watched the hell out of it too.

The real thing about anime is that there are 3 categories.

1 the original material like the 6 volume Akira
2 the spin off like the 2hr movie Akira
3 many mangas with 30 or so volumes
4 the 30-90 minute OVA Theatrical or home released movies which are just great for the Otaku so they can "see" their beloved character in motion.
5 the films that were made for OVA or theatrical only which never had any manga.

pretty much sums it up if you ask me :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 05:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If Oshii had done an Appleseed movie instead of GitS I think I'd be very happy with that. It took me a decade to appreciate GitS. I was at the GitS North American premier at which time I didn't like it very much at all but eventually I had to accept what I didn't like and admit it is genius movie work. If it were Appleseed (probably a trilogy) I would have been on board from day one presumably but its impossible to even guess what that would have even been like. You'd need to keep all the emotion and wackiness which isn't *impossible* for Oshii but isn't too common in his roadshow releases.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 08:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I always found Oshii pretentious. Patlabor 2 and GiTs are good examples of his pretention to me. I think I saw Angels Egg on a fan tape once. I can't really remember but I wouldn't mind watching it again. I can do art movies but why let him take over a franchise like Patlabor or a Shirow comic?

The Appleseed OVA from the '80s isn't even close to the manga but at least some of the look of the comics is there. The later CGI Appleseed is unbearable to me.

The best Shirow adaption is still Black Magic M66 imo.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 15:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Oshii is a top 3 anime director.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 16:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

found an original U.S. RENDITIONS VHS of the APPLESEED OVA at a thrift, over a decade ago. didn't seem particularly great...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 17:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
If I meet Oshii at any point I’ll be sure to mention that as good as GitS is, if he wants a REAL hit (which, oh, I’m sure he does)
then he needs to have more frilly panties and collectible robot toys to make you and tasuke happy and less of like...
accurately predicting the nature of cyber crime before the internet even went public...

original 1971 "THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN" is one of my favorite films of all time, right beside the initial, 1979 STAR TREK film.

i've been a TREK nerd since childhood, though pretty much limited to the original TOS cast films and the TNG series, still to this day one of my all-time favorite T.V. series.
BUCK ROGERS T.V. is another of my favorites.

i spent much of my teen years in the 90's, wasting my time
sitting through good, decent, right-wing hard-boiled Cop dramas/action flicks, and bad, throw-away Sci-Fi with my parents.

so i'm also a fairly average heterosexual male, that also happens to adore cute and pretty Anime women, wearing cute, pretty, flattering clothing?

if that has somehow become a Federal offense while i wasn't looking, well i suppose it's off to Leavenworth with my creepy a**...

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 19:49 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Its not a Federal offense, it absolutely is creepy.

Last edited by signofzeta on 30 Jan 2019, 19:53, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 19:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
Yeah I always found Oshii pretentious. Patlabor 2 and GiTs are good examples of his pretention to me. I think I saw Angels Egg on a fan tape once. I can't really remember but I wouldn't mind watching it again. I can do art movies but why let him take over a franchise like Patlabor or a Shirow comic?

The Appleseed OVA from the '80s isn't even close to the manga but at least some of the look of the comics is there. The later CGI Appleseed is unbearable to me.

The best Shirow adaption is still Black Magic M66 imo.

You think anything aimed at a 100 IQ adult is pretentious. Anything trying to take anything to anyplace but stuff you memorized when you were 8 and toy tanks. What was your major, btw? If you have a BFA and you want to call Oshii pretentious that's fine. If you've never done anything in your life creatively that you're proud to call your own then maybe you don't have any scope of what you're talking about.

Last edited by signofzeta on 31 Jan 2019, 03:24, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 20:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
Its not a Federal offense, it absolutely is creepy.

I say call Leavenworth, hes still collecting VHS for gods sake. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 20:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
I say call Leavenworth, hes still collecting VHS for gods sake. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and virtually everyone present here all maintain collections of a long-obsoleted analog Videodisc format. what's your point?!?

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 21:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:
rein-o wrote:

and virtually everyone present here all maintain collections of a long-obsoleted analog Videodisc format. what's your point?!?

Just making a point about nothing :lol:

Page 3 of 4 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next