It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:10

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What's up with "The Sixth Day" LaserDisc ?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 09:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

As I dig deeper and deeper on this forum and on the site to look for certain movies or info, I strangely discovered that The Sixth Day is running at a very very expensive price on the internet and I'd like to have you guys enlighten me on why is this movie so expensive as can't seem to find any specific reason for it.

Post subject: Re: What's up with "The Sixth Day" LaserDisc ?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 11:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

One of the last Laserdisc releases. That's about it really.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 14:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the very few Dolby EX on LD as well.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 14:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well same as The Phantom Menace but The Phantom Menace is a way better movie and it's a Star Wars.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 15:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Nobody really knows for sure why its worth so much, some say that there are 6 with golden tickets to see Willy Wonka's chocolate factory but none have found them yet.

Veruca Salt's father won't stop buying them until he finds his little girl a ticket.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 17:11 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

1- It is a late release for LD
2- It is one of the six DD EX encoded LDs
3- It is a very rare title because LD was even less popular towards the end of it’s life. Manufactured fewer copies and sold even less.

Only few sellers have it available in stock and they won’t let go for cheap. It’s that simple. SW Ep1 was probably the best selling LD after Terminator 2. Star Wars movies were not available on DVD until 2004 and LD was the only way to own EP1 at home. Almost everyone with an LD player imported one back in 2001.

It is supply and demand. There are even fewer copies of the last few LDs released and they have even higher asking prices.

I am not interested in these discs but I totally get it. If you don’t agree with it, just don’t buy. You can find the much superior Blu-ray for a few bucks. For those who spend crazy money on these, well it’s their money. At the end whatever makes you happy.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 17:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s expensive because it’s expensive. That’s really all the logic collectors have.

People try to pile logic on that, technical data, made up production numbers, etc but none of that really tracks. There are HUNDREDS of LDs titles that NOBODY on this forum has EVER seen and nobody cares at all because they’ve never seen them...for sale...on eBay...with a huge price. It’s seeing those dollar signs that excites simple people with big money. Yes, it’s the end of a format’s life but that is not explaination of anything. WHY is the end of a format more desirable than the beginning or the middle? I’m fairly certain this fad was small until video game people supercharged it. The last games for a video game console are often quite special because the hardware is totally mastered by that point and the ROM sizes and add on chips are all improved. Laserdiscs are just movies though and the final string of LDs is actually a pretty bad choice. No Criterion or anime or Jet Lee or whatever. Just a few random Hollywood things and a few stinkers like that Jackie Chan produced martial arts movie with all young people in it...sorry, can’t remember the name.

Some people by nature want to get into whatever party has the longest line out front. Seeing the line is all the proof they need that this is that greatest party in town. A bad party wouldn’t have a line, duh. Inside they could all just be falling into a big spam grinder like in that Pink Floyd video and they’d never know. The entire experience is about the line.

Last edited by signofzeta on 01 Feb 2019, 20:25, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 18:46 
Serious fan
Serious fan

these late releases are limited and for certain titles with huge demand like this ld its almost impossible to find it for cheap.Some people might love this movie and want to have it in every possible format.others love the format and want to have all late releases

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 20:03 
Serious fan
Serious fan

It's still kinda stupid, do people actually buys movies at these prices ?
Nothing should actually cost more than it's retail price, especially movies, it's just movies, no matter how rare or whatever.
giannis wrote:
certain titles with huge demand like this ld

Huge demand for The Sixth Day ? lmao

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 20:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Well same as The Phantom Menace but The Phantom Menace is a way better movie and it's a Star Wars.

Episode 1 was readily available in shops.
Akihabara's Liberty shops had tons of them advertised and easy to find near the entrance.

6th day was advertised on Yamanote Line posters on VHS, LD and DVD but LD would only be available via mail-in pre-orders.
Production number was expected to be around 5,000 but they probably made a lot less than that.

I don't know when the pre-order only started but most of the late PILF-28xx were probably only available like this.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 20:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

ryosaeba84 wrote:
It's still kinda stupid, do people actually buys movies at these prices ?
Nothing should actually cost more than it's retail price, especially movies, it's just movies, no matter how rare or whatever.

Well keep in mind no one is buying it for the actual movie content. People buy it as a trophy.

Edit: Whoops.

Last edited by gypsy on 01 Feb 2019, 22:50, edited 1 time in total. _________________
I have added a shop on lddb.com. Check it out, items are priced to sell.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 21:28 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

giannis wrote:
these late releases are limited and for certain titles with huge demand like this ld its almost impossible to find it for cheap.Some people might love this movie and want to have it in every possible format.others love the format and want to have all late releases

I demand that you prove to me that anyone loves this movie. Not the LD, the movie.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 21:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Someone else taste shouldn’t be judged....

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 22:24 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

giannis wrote:
Someone else taste shouldn’t be judged....

I don’t see why but that’s not my point. I’m not judging anyone for liking the movie. If anything I’ve already judged that humanity overall has too good of taste to like this movie since nobody ever talks about it except to remark on the price of the LD. It made less money than Arnie got paid to be in it. Critics hated it. I can’t hate anyone for liking this because nobody likes it!

I’m saying that someone posted a theory that The 6th Day may be someone’s favorite movie and unless someone can prove that is the case with at least one person on planet Earth then I think we can discount any theories that rely on this idea and we can focus on the hype/value aspects that clearly drive the price up on their own. It may be someone’s favorite LD but it’s nobody’s favorite movie, at least as far as I’m concerned, until someone exibits signs of that being true.

Is it your favorite movie? If it is then I’m totally wrong here.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 22:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just find the negativity on this issue so interesting

signofzeta wrote:
t’s expensive because; the entire experience is about the line.

The expected 'collectard' response is at least consistent and so some way reassuring.
Who cares if the movie is good or s**t in anyone's particular opinion? What is consistent is that it is a late release, and so likely in quite limited numbers. Straight away we have a supply and demand issue. You don't like the movie? What would I know - never even seen it nor even read a review. Even a mega Arnie fan who thinks this is his worst effort may see value in it as a late low volume release to enhance their Arnie collection.

I just don't get why some people get so strung up on others paying high prices for things. You might think it's the biggest piece of crap in the world but obviously enough people didn't think that to get the price up there in the first place; and who's to say any one of us has the ultimate say in taste??

If not some pathological inability to allow for different tastes and preferences the only other explanation I imagine for the most part is some kind of stupid jealousy that if their own personal holy grail came up; that they might never afford any of those up there prices to out-bid any other 'collectors' with the same tastes.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 22:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
Just find the negativity on this issue so interesting

signofzeta wrote:
t’s expensive because; the entire experience is about the line.

The expected 'collectard' response is at least consistent and so some way reassuring.
Who cares if the movie is good or s**t in anyone's particular opinion? What is consistent is that it is a late release, and so likely in quite limited numbers. Straight away we have a supply and demand issue. You don't like the movie? What would I know - never even seen it nor even read a review. Even a mega Arnie fan who thinks this is his worst effort may see value in it as a late low volume release to enhance their Arnie collection.

I just don't get why some people get so strung up on others paying high prices for things. You might think it's the biggest piece of crap in the world but obviously enough people didn't think that to get the price up there in the first place; and who's to say any one of us has the ultimate say in taste??

If not some pathological inability to allow for different tastes and preferences the only other explanation I imagine for the most part is some kind of stupid jealousy that if their own personal holy grail came up; that they might never afford any of those up there prices to out-bid any other 'collectors' with the same tastes.

To be fair to Zeta, someone literally asked why it is expensive and he answered.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
To be fair to Zeta, someone literally asked why it is expensive and he answered.

And so did I.

What exactly is your point?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You seem just as upset at his reply as you claim he is in general. Maybe you have an axe to grind here? I don't know but it seems like maybe you do based on some of the wording. That's all I was getting at there.

Anyway enough of that and back to the subject at hand... I don't think he is wrong, price memory is a pretty real thing. There are several situations where a price shoots up very high and it becomes a struggle to find a willing buyer at that point. So then it's nearly impossible to sell or buy because the sellers probably paid too much and don't want to lower their prices. So the price stays high and maybe slowly decreases in the hopes of finding a new but still high price point. Case in point: is there even a documented sale of this LD in the last 3 months? You can also see that there are some super high listings on the site here, probably just people showing off that they have it more than anything. I will admit I don't know as much about LD in this area and most of my experience and this commentary are in other collectible hobbies. This is in situations of course where supply is locked, if new product is made then this scenario is voided. And like I said before this is only a collectible, as the BD is super cheap.

So, basically, it's expensive because it's expensive.

Collecting is a mental thing and I would bet that the brains of collectors are similar to each other, and different from people that don't care as much about having the most toys at the end. I say this as a large collector too.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 00:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It’s perfectly OK to do everything possible to jack up prices but anyone working the opposite angle is “negative”...negative because $6000 LDs are a good idea (positive, I guess) in the eyes of people who buy and sell them.

We can talk about how much The Sixth Day is “worth” (you know, it a positive way...which is defined by how much it’s value is positively incriminating during the thread) but we can’t question those claims of value without super collectors and wannabe super collectors trying to shut the coversation down because it violates their world view.*

It’s pretty easy to see the people who got into this scene late and for hype based reasons. He jumped into this thread to argue the “pro” for $6000 LDs. He’s politicking as much as I am, he’s just worse at it. He probably thinks I’m trying to tank his retirement plan. :)

It’s in no way whatsoever a matter of artistic preference, as people keep bring up. The bad taste I’m dumping on is the African dictator school of LD collecting. I own dozens of objectively bad movies on LD. We talk about those all the time here. Nobody talks about The Sixth Day. It isn’t popular. It isn’t taste bad or good, it’s a forgotten film. Only people who buy $6000 LDs even know what it is by and large. I’ll buy and watch objectively bad movies on all sorts of formats all day but I’ve never bought one to brag about it’s value. That’s just gouche in the worst way. Like dubs on a Dodge. If someone asked me if I wanted to see their collection of “late rare LDs” I’d say, no, show me your misspelled tattoos or your mini football hemlets. Something you really have passion for. :)

* That being pretty much, “I never really got into punk rock”

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 09:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Bad late night wording?

My quip about the "collectard comment" (a bit of a personal favourite made up word he came up with iirc) was that for anyone who's been around these forums for more than about five minutes zeta's response to this topic is; well; very well known and quite predictable. He tends to have quite the flair with words making the point but it is always the same point (apologies zeta!).

It's a valid point too, though I just don't believe that everyone prepared to pay a premium for something they're passionate about fits that mould. And it's not uncommon to see people getting worked up over some high prices on various FB groups; I really do think some kind of envy plays a role in some of that, especially when they then later are there showing off their own high priced or desirable items; after all FB seems largely about showing off what you've got!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next