It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:03

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: S*** I so wish I had could buy this LD-S2
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 07:02 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

So there is an LD-S2 in MD though its not far and $850. Damn I wish I could buy it but I'm saving right now and having to go through some of my collections and sell them off.

I am so mad I saw this at this time in my life. I hope I will have another opportunity later but damn it.

Post subject: Re: S*** I so wish I had could buy this LD-S2
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 09:09 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Funny you mention this...

I wasn't really looking for any new players lately but my wife happened to put in a search for LaserDisc players on Facebook Marketplace and there on the site was a CLD-97 for $400. I didn't think much of it since like I said I wasn't really looking. However, after spending a day or two reading up about the benefits of the 97's design, I started to get the itch to see if maybe I might want this player (especially since I still have that AC3-RF retrofit bug that keeps me wanting to retrofit anything I can get my hands on :roll: ).

So after some back and forth w/ the seller, my wife was able to negotiate it down to $375 and it was going to be a sale. Unfortunately, after scrutinizing the picture more, I realized the player was missing the wood side panels and I just felt that now the player wasn't as worthwhile to me. Thus, I asked my wife to tell the seller that I had a change of heart for that reason. A day later, the seller gets back to us and offers it for $250. It took me about 15 min to decide and in the end I accepted the offer.

I picked it up this last Sunday and it's in fairly good condition where it counts (no scratches on the front panel and the panel door is intact). It plays LD's fine but does seem to lose tracking in the beginning when I FF (might be some dried up grease maybe impeding the sled) but I'm not too concerned and will look into it.

Anyway... my wife is getting tired of me acquiring players (she thought I had way less than 12 players :shh: ) so now she's asking me to get rid of at least one of them. I guess I will have to unload an LD-838D that I got a few months back. :(

Last edited by ldfan on 18 Feb 2019, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 15:34 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Damn, my wife's eyes bugged when she found out I only have 4 player with one coming soon...

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 15:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i always did rather lust after an LD-S1.

still kind of do, to this day, though i long ago made up my mind to stick by my very first love in LDPs, the CLD-3030...

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 18:16 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I love my LDS1 and hope beyond hope it still works though I do need my CLD-79 repaired again. I wanted an LDS2 since it was a more updated version of the LDS1 but stick with what I have and just be thankful and hope it lasts a good long time.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 18:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

tasuke wrote:
, .....though i long ago made up my mind to stick by my very first love in LDPs, the CLD-3030...

Yeah.... I still have a thing for my 3030 as well which explains why after 31 years it's still my primary player for my main set-up.

So now.... I have one of the thinnest profile players (CLD-3030 and LD-838D) and one of the thickest (CLD-97). ;)

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 18:56 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

ldfan wrote:
Funny you mention this...

I wasn't really looking for any new players lately but my wife happened to put in a search for LaserDisc players on Facebook Marketplace and there on the site was a CLD-97 for $400. I didn't think much of it since like I said I wasn't really looking. However, after spending a day or two reading up about the benefits of the 97's design, I started to get the itch to see if maybe I might want this player (especially since I still have that AC3-RF retrofit bug that keeps me wanting to retrofit anything I can get my hands on :roll: ).

So after some back and forth w/ the seller, my wife was able to negotiate it down to $375 and it was going to be sale. Unfortunately, after scrutinizing the picture more, I realized the player was missing the wood side panels and I just felt that now the player wasn't as worthwhile to me. Thus, I asked my wife to tell the seller that I had a change of heart for that reason. A day later, the seller gets back to us and offers it for $250. It took me about 15 min to decide and in the end I accepted the offer.

I picked it up this last Sunday and it's in fairly good condition where it counts (no scratches on the front panel and the panel door is intact). It plays LD's fine but does seem to lose tracking in the beginning when I FF (might be some dried up grease maybe impeding the sled) but I'm not too concerned and will look into it.

Anyway... my wife is getting tired of me acquiring players (she thought I had way less than 12 players :shh: ) so now she's asking me to get rid of of at least one of them. I guess I will have to unload an LD-838D that I got a few months back. :(

There's...no wood?

Oh well, if it works $375 is a good deal for a 97. The wood is all square so easy to reproduce of higher quality stuff.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 21:18 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The wood panels (as well as footers that were missing), are coming next week. :thumbup:

Wasn’t cheap but I really wanted the parts to complete her look.

Last edited by ldfan on 02 Feb 2019, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 21:22 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I would have made new ones for my 99 but I’m not sure how to get the radius on the front exactly correct. There’s nothing wrong with them it’s just that hardwood would be a lot cooler.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 21:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
how to get the radius on the front exactly correct

What do you mean?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 22:18 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The panels on the 99 are rounded in front like the rest of the player. It has to be a perfect cut which isn’t always easy. The 97 is 90° on all corners.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 22:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

ldfan wrote:
A day later, the seller gets back to us and offers it for $250. It took me about 15 min to decide and in the end I accepted the offer.
Image. :(

That's less than £200 GB sterling..... great price.

Not much chance of picking up one here in the UK at anything like that price if one crops up at all.

Enjoy :thumbup: .

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I do definitely feel lucky about it. Even with the added cost of getting the missing parts, the price is still a steal.

Anyway, my apologies for possibly hijacking this thread from xtempo since it was about the LD-S2. I just thought the topic was somewhat similar about obtaining players when one least expects. :roll:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2019, 23:57 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I don't care. We always do this in threads here anyway :D
I hope you love the player. it is a beut!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 19:50 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Is that the same LD-S2 that was on eBay recently for $1,000? I saw it was in MD, local pickup only.

Either way, I'd love to have a LD-S2 or even a $250 CLD-97 :D

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 21:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well, my ticket came up. I just got back from purchasing a functioning LD-S2 for $600 that was under an hour's drive from me. No remote, cosmetic condition would be at about 7/10 and the tray is a little sluggish. Purchased from a man selling it on behalf of the original owner.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 21:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

cplusplus wrote:
Well, my ticket came up. I just got back from purchasing a functioning LD-S2 for $600 that was under an hour's drive from me. No remote, cosmetic condition would be at about 7/10 and the tray is a little sluggish. Purchased from a man selling it on behalf of the original owner.

How is your back :lol:

The tray could be due to the cold, my 3070 is very slow the first opening but then after that its fine, and I had Grasshopper
clean the old grease etc.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2019, 22:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:
How is your back :lol:

Managed to get it out of its car to its final destination. I have a feeling if it had the side panels on it, that extra 2lbs would have been too much :lol:

$600 is a lot of money. I feel you either need to be affluent or have an unhealthy obsession with LD. I'm the latter. Yes, it does look ridiculously good.

I'm hoping there are no issues with it since I was only able to spot check it. No telling if this was moved improperly before I got there. :|

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2019, 02:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'd buy a working top tier LD player for $600 easily. Maybe I belong in an asylum as well. ;)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2019, 08:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nice.... my Emperor finally got its clothes (and shoes) on. :D

So now I have the wood panels and a complete set of silver footers that were also missing (still need to restore the foam under the footers).

Unfortunately, I do have this one knick on one of the wood panels.....

... but I'm working on an idea to use a wood filler to fix it and then apply some combination of paint and a gloss coat to see if I can match the finish.

Down the road I'm going to have the player modded w/ my last AC3-RF Demodulator board (if space permits). Otherwise, it will for sure get an AC3-RF mod.

Last edited by ldfan on 20 Feb 2019, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next