It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:54

Page 24 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 18:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Just finished watching the first episode of Evangelion, first episode reminded me more of Godzilla or other single TV series like Inazuman, Ultraman, Iorn king
rather than Sentai.
Loved the blood spurting from the Eva robot/thing in the middle of the second episode.

Anybody else notice the nod to Abyss with the liquid stuff before he goes into the Eva robot/thing?
Wonder what this series would have been if they hadn't seen such USA dregs.

I just hope this doesn't turn into some religious stuff with the angels etc.
Also watching the English dub as I'm working at the same time, its a joke as all English dubs are, will watch it in Japanese when I have time to sit and read
the subs.

I hope its not a super letdown like Cowboy Bebop. :|

Last edited by rein-o on 07 Feb 2019, 18:37, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 18:35 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I absolutely hate that show.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 18:40 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

signofzeta wrote:
I absolutely hate that show.

Well if it ends like crap then the entire series is crap.

Just like Cowboy Bebop, that ending with some rando was so annoying that it ruined the entire series and then he had to die :yawn:

It also reminds me of Inazuman and such, after WWII the kids had no parents so the shows would reflect a lot of that.
The men that they would encounter were older or younger that would have not been in battle.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 21:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t share that sentement really. I don’t really see tragic endings as bad or unrealistic or anything. Where better for something to end than with the death of the main character? I didn’t like Akira and that girl getting gruesomely killed at the end didn’t help but really isn’t why I don’t like it. A lot of people die at the end of Giant Robo but it’s just part of the overall story and doesn’t change my (extremely positive) opinion of it.

In many shows I’d say the tragic endings make the show. Tomino is too anti-war to let anyone in Gundam live for too long but...that’s cricket, Harry. Would you rather GI Joe?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 21:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I agree, but when the show sucks and you get a s****y ending it makes the entire show garbage and not worth watching ever again.

I don't need a happy ending in anything but Cowboy was just waiting from something that never happened, and the story sidetracked 3 or 4 episodes before
it ended.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 21:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Eva is f***ing great. Super DAT walkmans, sliding beer racks in fridges, retractable cities, huge sniper rifles. It's Gainax going bananas and at it's best with world design and now I've seen Zambot 3 (so good), I get the influences more.

Eva was the end of anime for me.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 21:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'm binging on it today, at episode 10.
Don't think its the best thing since sliced white bread but its pretty much like 3 or 4 genres of anime and live action Tokusatus all put into one.

Also I hate to say this but until today I've never heard of "Fan Service" and boy am I sick of it.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019, 21:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
Eva is f***ing great. Super DAT walkmans, sliding beer racks in fridges, retractable cities, huge sniper rifles. It's Gainax going bananas and at it's best with world design and now I've seen Zambot 3 (so good), I get the influences more.

I agree. Eva was the end. That’s a big part of why I hate it. It killed off mecha anime. It’s also sort of hard to separate the show from its US fandom which was exploding at that time and after that “anime fan” no longer usually meant “college educated”, to put it bluntly. Dumb mouth breathing perverts became half the audience by the time US fandom was at critical mass. Conventions where people could meet to obsess over anime and manga became cosplay orgies where USDM products were %90 of the dealers room. These people loved the hell out of dubbed Eva and they have a stack of VHS somewhere to remind them of it but probably haven’t paid for anime since.

My reasons for hating this show are obviously personal but the incredible violence and psychic torture all those kids are constantly being subjected too is like something made for goths to wank too. It’s borderline torture p0rn. Even 80s Tomino is nicer to his kids.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 00:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:

Oh Zambot, I couldn't sell the LD box set fast enough after watching that one.
Can't stand the kids in that one, they are starting to wear on me in Eva right now too.
Its like it has every single anime cliche, almost like a Tarantino anime series.

Get all the good parts of stuff over the past 50 years and make one giant special series.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 00:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I f***ing loved Zambot 3. Which is weird because I usually hate the overly bleak crap. Maybe it's because the villains are so goofy and over the top that I can never take it too seriously so it doesn't get to me in the same way as, say, End of Evangelion.

signofzeta wrote:
I agree. Eva was the end. That’s a big part of why I hate it. It killed off mecha anime. It’s also sort of hard to separate the show from its US fandom which was exploding at that time and after that “anime fan” no longer usually meant “college educated”, to put it bluntly. Dumb mouth breathing perverts became half the audience by the time US fandom was at critical mass. Conventions where people could meet to obsess over anime and manga became cosplay orgies where USDM products were %90 of the dealers room. These people loved the hell out of dubbed Eva and they have a stack of VHS somewhere to remind them of it but probably haven’t paid for anime since.

The AVGN guy does another video series where some of his friends hang out and talk about movies under the pretens of being in a rental shop (that's actually just his basement decked with VHS tapes).

They did an episode on Akira recently and when one of the guys started raving about Evangelion, I started cringing.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 00:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

First of all I agree with Zeta that tragic endings can be good. I actually felt the ending for Cowboy Bebop was close to perfect and really fit the show. That's not something I often say of an anime.

signofzeta wrote:

My reasons for hating this show are obviously personal but the incredible violence and psychic torture all those kids are constantly being subjected too is like something made for goths to wank too. It’s borderline torture p0rn. Even 80s Tomino is nicer to his kids.

lol

I don't like Eva either, not one bit, I just found this post really funny.

takeshi666 wrote:
The AVGN guy does another video series where some of his friends hang out and talk about movies under the pretens of being in a rental shop (that's actually just his basement decked with VHS tapes).

They did an episode on Akira recently and when one of the guys started raving about Evangelion, I started cringing.

It's a bit hit and miss, but I've been enjoying those. Just relaxed movie talk. Through the similar videos on youtube I actually did find a couple interesting critical analysis of film series videos from other people as well.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 00:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Don't misunderstand me, I'm fine with tragic endings, everybody thinks I don't want that since I made that post.

In ways Evangelion is also reminding me of The Guyver.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 03:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I think you nailed it with the Tarantino reference.

“The kids half my age all living in the sticks have never seen any of my favorite trashy movies. I’ll roll them all into one and make a mint!”

He also loves torture. A lot of people love torture, actually. A lot of people are horrible.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 05:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I suppose I might be the resident Eva otaku here as I have way to many editions of it both Japanese and US as well as the rebuild stuff, figures games and what not. Asuka is my my favorite character of all time though I have no idea really. possibly because she's very complex wanting to mature and also still being a child and feeling unloved by those around her or something. I think it's not completely religious in a way that westerners are use to it, its more a mesh of Japanese values and how they see themselves and the world since they still don't understand completely western culture and society in some since after all their Japanese and not western.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 13:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

xtempo wrote:
I think it's not completely religious in a way that westerners are use to it, its more a mesh of Japanese values and how they see themselves and the world since they still don't understand completely western culture and society in some since after all their Japanese and not western.

I get the impression that Evangelion is partly a critique of what is a very Japanese way of thinking. Every character in the show essentially embodies specific psychological issue that never get addressed by the characters, because it's really not something that gets spoken about in Japanese culture; they're just expected to tough it out, and that's probably why Anno was motivated to make the series what it was because he was suffering from severe depression himself. Tomino was also apparently quite miserable around the time he made Zambot 3 and Ideon, both of which coincidentally also inspired Evangelion.

It's only the angels in the latter episodes where they finally have to confront those issues. It's like the only reason the angels have any success is because none of the pilots have ever been to a therapist! Which sadly makes Evangelion strangely reflective of today's society; very few people seem to bother with introspection so they project their problems onto others.

Just like Asuka.

And that's why I cringe so much when I see people call Evangelion "deep" but they never once address the whole psychological aspect of the series, because that's where the meat is. Everything else, the politics, the religious imagery, all of that is just fancy set dressing.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 19:32 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

They mean its deeper than Star Wars, which was previously the most comprehensive piece of art they knew. And hey, they aren't wrong about that, just extremely underexposed to the world.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 19:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I think it is deep but could have gone deeper in the psychological things and more explanation.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 21:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Isn't that what the TV ending is for? :P

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 21:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was thinking more along the lines of the other characters not Shinji but anyway I wonder how Anno is going to end rebuild. but yeah I've not watched in years so I completely forgot how the ending was.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 21:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well don't ruin it for me, I'm at episode 17 or around there, he just ate the angel and I think I saw two episodes after that.

Page 24 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 64  Next