It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:29

Page 25 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 05:37 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

which angel? the hovering pyramid thingie? I am so going to have to do a marathon of this when I get all my stuff but now I'll have to figure out which the Japanese BD box, Archives DVD box, 2007 Edition DVD box or the first release or the platinum release or just stick with the Japanese LaserDiscs. decisions decisions...

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 05:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think it was the angel that had ribbon arms and he ate it after destroying it.

But I've binged on it so hard that I'm in the middle of the last episode.

Man how many years of therapy do I need to understand WTF is going on in these last 2 episodes.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 06:24 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Even with therapy it is difficult. there is evageeks.org which is a useful site or even evamonkey.com. just don't read the fan fiction though.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 07:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My memory of the last ep of Eva is fading too. It was just a pretentious, self indulgent, meaningless-to-all-except-Anno mess I'm pretty sure? I rewatch the first few eps of Eva pretty often but I have to do a full rewatch of my LDs this year I think..

Takashi, I loved Zambot 3 a lot too. Now THAT had a decent ending. The classic Japanese monster designs straight out of an episode of Ultraman were a big thing I liked also. Implanting bombs in and blowing up little kids was so far over the top also in a kids show (even in Japan) it was just subversive and cool I thought. The fact that the Zambot 3 causes so much collatoral damage and kills potentially hundreds of innocents in it's battles and this is actually explored is so unique, even Eva, directly inspired by this doesn't explore this as much. It's such a cool show that I just got around to watching at the end of last year and I'm pretty glad I picked it up just on the basis that it was Tomino all those years ago in a Hard Off for 1000 yen. I knew nothing else about it at the time..

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 15:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Takashi, I loved Zambot 3 a lot too. Now THAT had a decent ending. The classic Japanese monster designs straight out of an episode of Ultraman were a big thing I liked also. Implanting bombs in and blowing up little kids was so far over the top also in a kids show (even in Japan) it was just subversive and cool I thought. The fact that the Zambot 3 causes so much collatoral damage and kills potentially hundreds of innocents in it's battles and this is actually explored is so unique, even Eva, directly inspired by this doesn't explore this as much. It's such a cool show that I just got around to watching at the end of last year and I'm pretty glad I picked it up just on the basis that it was Tomino all those years ago in a Hard Off for 1000 yen. I knew nothing else about it at the time..

What I liked so much about the human bomb plot was that the villains didn't immediately abandon it on the first sign of a problem. It's a somewhat annoying MOTW cliche when the bad guys come up with a plan that makes you go "hey, that's actually pretty clever" but drop it the next week regardless of why it failed.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 15:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh boy after watching the entire series and thinking about it last night I think Zeta is correct in this one.
Its one of the worst anime's I've seen, I want to say its even worse than Cowboy Bebop on my list....

I'm glad I found a bootleg on ebay for 13 bucks, won't be able to sell without a hassle from some evataku but at least I'm not out some
stupid amount like the real sets go for.

This box set that I picked up has the movies, do they help or just add to some Japanese version of what Tarantino and Aronofsky would make if they did an anime.

Torture and suffer.

Just make us all suffer through why you do something.
I guess if I knew the premise before I would have to say that I watch anime to watch and enjoy it not to figure out I am me and She is she......

CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS

And another thing is that I can't stand this era of anime, its just not for me, its at the pinnacle and they just over exaggerate everything.
I couldn't even stand it when I was at comic and toy conventions and they were importing it then, just can't stand the style.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 16:19 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A City Hunter Special 20 years after City Hunter Special: Death of Ryo Saeba (1999) [VPLY-70729]?

Julien

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 16:20 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

rein-o wrote:
Oh boy after watching the entire series and thinking about it last night I think Zeta is correct in this one.
Its one of the worst anime's I've seen, I want to say its even worse than Cowboy Bebop on my list....

I'm glad I found a bootleg on ebay for 13 bucks, won't be able to sell without a hassle from some evataku but at least I'm not out some
stupid amount like the real sets go for.

This box set that I picked up has the movies, do they help or just add to some Japanese version of what Tarantino and Aronofsky would make if they did an anime.

Torture and suffer.

Just make us all suffer through why you do something.
I guess if I knew the premise before I would have to say that I watch anime to watch and enjoy it not to figure out I am me and She is she......

CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS
CONGRATULATIONS

And another thing is that I can't stand this era of anime, its just not for me, its at the pinnacle and they just over exaggerate everything.
I couldn't even stand it when I was at comic and toy conventions and they were importing it then, just can't stand the style.
First off...why are there any bootlegs of this show? Aren’t there just mountains of copies of it all over the place? I guess maybe that’s just VHS/LD land but dang it’s common as dirt in SD.

Secondly, I don’t have any problem with Cowboy B. Even the dub is good.

Maybe I didn’t mind him dying because I saw the movie before the end of the show. The movie came out after the show but was an earlier story where he’s still alive. I guess to me Spike has always seemed a lot like Lupin III. If Lupin III died it wouldn’t change anything. They’d still make a new movie every year or so that takes place before he died.

I have some sort of super power that lets me explain away things like this I guess...

As for Eva, as much as I hate it, I have give it credit. It gave me strong emotions, albeit negative ones, which is more than I can say for any Marvel Studios movie. You hated it, I hated it, and not because if it’s quality, but because of what it said. I respect that. I do hate the show a lot though. I don’t make it anywhere near the end. IIRC I quit at episode 18.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:

Nobody else liked the ending either and that's why End of Evangelion was made.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 17:08 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

OK.
CB was fun and it would have been more fun and interesting had we seen more of his backstory before just getting 1 or 2 episodes before he died.
His character changed from the funny Lupin style to this samurai in a suit and gun deal, that was more my issue of consistency.
Also the girl, bringing her as this cryogenic who knows what and now master con thief.

I do wish Eva ended on that episode with the angel boy rather than going into this sub whatever.
It was almost like that horrible reboot of the Prisoner TV show where everybody had their minds melded into the desert or whatever.

I'm too old for these types of making you think stuff anymore, I guess if I saw Akira today I would be saying the same stuff but since I was younger when I saw
it and could think then it was easier?

So I guess I'll watch the movie.

As for the City Hunter, I loved part of that show but part was just too much, way too horny and never getting any :crazy:
I loved the almost stoic Togo feel but then it went to humorous.

And yes its a bootleg, very odd as there are so many copies but everybody on ebay sells them for 60-120 for the regular edition,
the platinum is even more, around 80-140.
But as with anything on ebay you can get a deal if you wait long enough.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 17:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Well, for that reason and also for the massive mountain of money it was guaranteed to make. Gainax looooooves to go back to the ol Eva well every once and a while and see how much will gush out. They do very few remakes or sequels to anything else.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 20:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Honestly I never cared much for Cowboy Bebop. I guess people just like it because it goes for a more universal aesthetic than falling for the usual anime trope of everything being like Japan where it's this weird hybrid of technologically advanced and super futuristic but simultaneously kind of backwards and traditional. When it comes to that kind of action anime with a dash of comedy in a world heavily influenced by western sci-fi tropes, I'm definitely more of a Space Adventure Cobra guy.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

signofzeta wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Well, for that reason and also for the massive mountain of money it was guaranteed to make. Gainax looooooves to go back to the ol Eva well every once and a while and see how much will gush out. They do very few remakes or sequels to anything else.

If it matters Anno left to form Khara and thus brought Eva with him but their is still a legal case between Gainax and Khara over Eva which is very complicated to understand [at least to me].

As for the bootlegs I don't think ADV printed that many copies for the different editions and possibly rare due to the fact of its popularity increasing or that people don't want to let go of their copies.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 01:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
A City Hunter Special 20 years after City Hunter Special: Death of Ryo Saeba (1999) [VPLY-70729]?

Julien

Really cool. Real animation and '80s TMN on the sound track! This probably signifies it's a prequel story.

Never seen Cowboy BeBop, it was after anime ended for me and even if it was pre about '96 it wouldn't have interested me. Was never a Lupan fan either, just Cagliostro because of the Miyazaki genius.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 05:18 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

You should watch Cowboy Bebop, its fun and if you like these other anime's for the reasons you have posted you will like it too.
DVDs are cheap on ebay, I'm sure the LDs are cheap too.

Wow, so I just finished end of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth, wish someone would have piped up and told me to just watch those as I wouldn't get any of the story
anyway and its a recap in about 3hrs not 15hrs.
And I don't get the stupid Congratulations deal.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 09:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
You should watch Cowboy Bebop, its fun and if you like these other anime's for the reasons you have posted you will like it too.
DVDs are cheap on ebay, I'm sure the LDs are cheap too.

It just doesn't interest me at the moment or ever, Jazz music and cool guys and comedy just isn't what I'm into. Unless it has a brutal war story I don't care right now. Currently really want to rewatch Orguss or watch Fang of the Sun Dougram before I get into Votoms properly. Still prepping my Japanese for my epic Universal Century Gundam rewatch..

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 10:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
It just doesn't interest me at the moment or ever, Jazz music and cool guys and comedy just isn't what I'm into. Unless it has a brutal war story I don't care right now. Currently really want to rewatch Orguss or watch Fang of the Sun Dougram before I get into Votoms properly. Still prepping my Japanese for my epic Universal Century Gundam rewatch..

Maybe " Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku " aka " Now and Then, Here and There " would be something for you then.
The LD's are really good too, but might be slightly hard to get.
But it came after anime ended for you.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 20:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Not sure why I have to like anything after 1996? I took a quick look at now and then..where are the bad a** mecha? Nah, the '80s is all I need, humanity had already peaked. The ultimate time.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 20:50 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Not sure why I have to like anything after 1996? I took a quick look at now and then..where are the bad a** mecha? Nah, the '80s is all I need, humanity had already peaked. The ultimate time.

Everyone thinks that about when they grew up.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 21:34 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

forper wrote:

would it also depend on the fact you might be tired of it and just stick to what you know and love? I mean I've gotten tired of it all and not really watch anything unless I have it. I've also been going through my lists to see what I really want to keep as I can't keep everything but I wish I could.

Page 25 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 64  Next