It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:42

Page 27 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 64  Next
 Post subject: Re: what anime's have you guys been watching recently
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 07:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There was a BBC show in the 80s that many people enjoy for the different reasons. Its full of terrible FX but it also has those Guide animations by the guys who would eventually create Max Headroom (I think) and those are ageless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuumnjJWFO4

But yeah, the first three books are the meat of it.

The second book is called The Restaurant at the End of the Universe because it takes place there, which is a time traveling restaurant that goes to the chronological end of creation to entertain its guests and then flies back after there's nothing left, every night. There's a rock band that is so loud they can't play on the same planet as their speakers. One of the guys in it is dead but because he owes taxes his body is being dragged along in stasis to allow the band to tour. There is a factory that makes entire planets to order and in fact made Earth. This all had to be done with the same budget as Doctor Who so...its extremely bad looking. Like, I'd expect better FX live on stage from high school kids. I love those animations though.

There is also a film that for some reason never generated sequels. I personally liked it but I later learned I'm wrong and stupid, I guess, because everyone else hated it. I think most would agree the Guide animations were good in that one too.

Having been a fan of both Who and Hitchhikers for a loooooong time I can't even imagine where I'd tell anyone to start. I was preconditioned before I was critically minded! I've always loved it, since I was about 6 anyway, so now anything new is like buying your favorite band's new stuff. Its just cool to see them still doing it but it will never effect me the same way. Most would agree the best stuff is Tom Baker and Peter Davison. Before that is great, I love them in b/w as well, but after Davidson it just suuuuucked. The original end was a mercy killing. The 2005 reboot really surprised me. I'm so used to reboots being bastardizations but they really did make something with the same spirit as the best of the original and I hope it runs another 50 years.

Maybe watch City of Death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxYA3FEN2-g

This counts as high budget footage for Who since its on location even though its literally just two people in almost normal clothes taking mass transit in Paris like millions of people do every day. THIS IS THE MAGIC OF DOCTOR WHO!

BTW, the girl here eventually married that jerk Richard Dawkins back when he wasn't quite so annoying. Both were pals with Douglas Adams.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 14:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The tv show I was referencing was from 2016 and was Dirk Gently.

The 10th Doctor is actually the Dr Who I watched the most, it was passable. Then it kind of went downhill (11th Dr) and I've heard the writing is trash now but it's not like I am still watching so idk. The problem with the old stuff is that I watched it so long ago I really don't remember which one I watched as there is so much of it. I will try the two you mentioned, because looking at some clips, I don't remember watching either of those two.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 15:13 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Ha! I didn’t even know there was a Dirk Gently TV series. I’ll have to check it out.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2019, 15:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I didn't care for it, but of course you might. I think I actually fell asleep during the 2nd or 3rd episode.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019, 03:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched Ghost in the Shell again just now on the LD I just got. Fantastic as always.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2019, 07:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
There was a BBC show in the 80s that many people enjoy for the different reasons.

Yeah I remember this, sometimes my dad would let me stay up and watch it with him. I watched Tom Baker Doctor Who every day after school. That was when it had British Army guys in it fighting giant insects, lots of daleks and cybermen. I remember it was pretty dark and you had a sense that people could die. It was so cool. I watch today's Doctor Who and I don't get it at all.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 22:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

forper wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
There was a BBC show in the 80s that many people enjoy for the different reasons.

Yeah I remember this, sometimes my dad would let me stay up and watch it with him. I watched Tom Baker Doctor Who every day after school. That was when it had British Army guys in it fighting giant insects, lots of daleks and cybermen. I remember it was pretty dark and you had a sense that people could die. It was so cool. I watch today's Doctor Who and I don't get it at all.

Haha, good old ABC. My favourite channel as a kid. I was never much a Who fan, thought it was dumb. It was on before Monkey, so I always saw bits of it. Of course my favourite ABC show from back then is Astro Boy. I got excitted every time I saw it printed in TV Week that it was starting again. Always cried at the Greatest Robot In The World P1&2 as well.

The people that made our version did it really well but made stupid decisions like scrapping the Atom vs Atlas episode, I could never understsnd why I had never seen the "flashback" scenes of Astro fighting child Atlas! It made a big hole in the story and makes no sense that they did it. Making Greatest Robot the final 2 episodes though was genius.

I could not believe when I bought the Jp DVD box sets in 2004 that it was ep 25 and 26! It was just wrong. When the show was re-released here in 2007 with correct episode order, I always saved those two episodes until the end. It just could not be any other way. Atom no Hatsukoi as the final episode just has not got the impact. It is a shame the 80's version only ran 52 episodes seeing what a huge hit it was.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 22:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've been reaaaally sick lately so I have been watching Lupin Part 2. It's a great choice because it is enjoyable but also because it doesn't matter if I pass out which has happened a couple times.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019, 23:44 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I recently saw a newer anime Glitter Force and I could barely watch one episode. The dub was horrible but even so it did not pull off what a Magical Girl show should be or at least to me.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 14:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

just finished "Shining Hearts" aannddd... it SUCKED. (i know, BIG SURPRISE, eh?)
there i go again, letting character art sell me on something. at least it was cheap, thanks to the SENTAI BLACK FRI. sale.

oh well, surely NADIA and PATLABOR T.V. won't be letting me down, Right? RIGHT?!?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 19:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If they do, that’s on you. They are both great.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2019, 22:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Finished the original Fist of the North Star the other day.

Still not a fan of the absurd retcons in Hokuto no Ken 2.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 15:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
If they do, that’s on you. They are both great.

let us hope not. i've heard too many great things about ether series, for just about as long as i've been into Anime (since the mid-90's)
so i've high hopes and expectations for both. in fact, PATLABOR goes practically all the way back with me in several ways.

for one, the AV-98 INGRAM was my first "Got to Have it" heartthrob Mecha beyond the one that started it all for me, the MACROSS VF-1 Valkyrie.
i had to wait damn near forever to finally get hold of a worthy model of one, but in 2015, the long overdue opportunity finally came my way;

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 22:42 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I still want that resin 1/24 movie ver Ingram with the reactive armor vest. That’s one of the coolest robots EVER and in 1/24 it will go perfectly with most model cars. I think Wave made it. There were option parts for the gun to be held in different positions

EDIT: my mistake, it was from Volks.

Here is a pic of a polyester copy. Good pics are scare, it seems. Pre-Japanese internet for the most part. https://sg.carousell.com/p/huge-patlabo ... -76574887/

Last edited by signofzeta on 06 Dec 2019, 23:37, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 22:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Patlabor, from my memories watching at the Canberra Anime Society in the '90s and in my friend's bedroom (he loved it) was a slice of life drama/light comedy with some mecha. That is what is different about it, the mecha are just in the background as tools, some episodes they don't even use them, the're just in the shop or something or they do some mundane task like stop traffic.

I had an Ingram kit back then. It had a slide on armor/tactical? vest. Don't know what happened to it, it was very posable and had rubber covers for the joints that were already deteriorating back then. Probably chucked it because of the state of that rubber.f

Overall I wasn't really a fan except of the mecha. Not a show I need to own or watch again.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2019, 23:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Thanks, I knew of Nadia back in the day but I have no need to experience another gainex after evo and gunbuster, these just aren't for me.

Patlabor I only know of as the films, but again I was never into it back in the day but may try but may not after the slice of life drama.

Would rather re-watch GE999 series, Akira or even Future War 198X

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 00:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There are a lot of different kinds of Gainax anime. Eva is garbage but Gunbuster is like the best thing ever so you’re probably right, just not your thing.

However, for my generation of fandom “Gainax” meant Royal Space Force, Daicon Film, and Otaku no Video more than it meant anything else. By the time they get busted for tax evasion they are making ultra otaku cash grabs on purpose and it’s not the same. It’s all panties and hyperguns and self references and it’s aimed at American mall ota.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 01:08 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I feel like Evangelion for the most part is misunderstood, even by people who claim to like it. They get hung up on things that are ultimately nothing more than fancy set dressing and ignore the psychoanalysis which is the real meat of the series.

Gunbuster was "throw everything at a wall and see what sticks" to a point of near incoherence, although I did like the realistic take on time dilation, but even then I bet there's a better anime out there that also deals with it.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 01:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s one of the most frustrating things about Eva. It was made so that I would like it, and I don’t. Instead it’s the favorite anime of dpis**ts that just love seeing kids be mangled. Eva was probably the first R rated thing a lot of kids ever saw. Their least favorite parts of it would be my favorite parts if they didn’t suck.

I really hate that show, how it took over the scene, how it won’t go away, how it assumed the mantle of “cerebral” so if you dump on it people think you’re probably just an angry Overfiend fan.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2019, 01:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well at least it's not Gurren Lagann.

Page 27 of 64 [ 1277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 64  Next