It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pricing guidance (query from inexperienced seller)
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 12:20 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Flame suit on: Check. Hiding under desk: Check.
I'll preface this by saying: Yes, I know. Search is my friend. I have done the requisite searches. So far, this question has not been clearly addressed.

I'm a new seller here. I have a handful of discs I bought for my own use in the LD heyday. It's now time to sell them. In the spirit of
"highest and best use," I would like to get them into the hands of people who will get something out of them. I'd rather do that than toss the lot
of them into the trash. And, there's enough trash in the world without them.

I can't figure out how to price the discs fairly. I want to maximize my return. I don't want to scalp buyers. And, I don't want them sitting posted
here for months and months and months.

I have the values for each disc from the "search" function here, but that only seems to provide somebody's listing price. Searching eBay was somewhat
of a travail: It's a rabbit hole for 1000 listings that aren't related.

As I said, I have a handful of discs. I am not willing to spend hours and hours searching for data to post something that's going to sell for $20.
How do I fairly price discs without investing an hour each in determining fair price?

Any advices are appreciated. I would request that anyone filled with vitriol and rancor at reading this post, rather than useful comments, simply refrain.
There is enough ill will in the world without adding any more to this post.

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Pricing guidance [query from inexperienced seller)
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 13:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi,

the "selling" prices really are irrelevant, you want what they have actually sold for. On here there is a past sales bit that shows what titles have sold for in the past & ebay also has the same information.

Most LDs really are only "worth" what someone is willing to pay though the so called rare titles can go for quite a bit but in reality there are not that many that go for what could be called big bucks.

How many do you have? What are the titles? The LD catalogue number would help as some titles have been issued a few times.

Sorry & not a dig in any way but unless you are holding any really sought after discs most are likely to be a few dollars each at most, that is if they do sell as there are lots out in the market place.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

szdoc wrote:
I want to maximize my return.

Good luck with this one.

szdoc wrote:
And, I don't want them sitting posted here for months and months and months.

And this one too.

Ebay will be your fastest method of unloading such a product.

Its not like you can setup at a fleamarket and expect anybody to pay you more than .50 cents each.

Man when I look at some of the CDs I've bought over the past few years for 1-3 dollars and think what people actually paid for these.
I've been looking at these Looney Tunes Golden Age DVDs.
A person just listed and sold the lot of 6 DVD volumes on ebay BIN for 65 bucks, she posted that her husband bought them new and
never watched them :sick:

Do you realize that these cost 50 bucks each new at Best Buy.

Good luck, if you don't want to deal with shipping you may be well off with craigslist too.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:41 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Since you didn’t list anything you have I can’t offer any advice on how to get rid of them. I don’t know why this is so often the case with one post dumpers but it is. It’s like they think we’re playing poker here and they can’t tip their hand or something...chances are you’re staring at 2, 5, 7, Q, J, no need to hide it.

If you want rid of the stuff just put it on Craigslist. If you actually have something significant (ie: not Speed, Star Trek, Forest Gump, etc, the most common worthless LDs) then just tell us and if it’s any good someone will want it here or on eBay. If it’s Hunt for Red October and Aladdin just dump it as fast you can and don’t waste time trying to get $$$ for stuff that lost %99 of its retail value ages ago.

Most LDs cost more to ship than they sell for. A good going price for mainstream Hollywood stuff is like $1 and that’s usually in lots of dozens. Individually it’s hard to get anyone interested in single discs unless they are music related, imports, Criterion, anime, or some sort of special interest.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:43 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Points taken. I'm in a fairly small community, so CraigsList is not a viable option.

As to maximizing return, my point is just to get what these things are worth. If the Criterion discs are worth $1, then it's not worth my time to post them.

What I can't figure out is how to determine past sales prices on this site.

Signofzeta: I haven't listed them because if the price is de minimus, it's not worth my time to do so. There is no need to belittle me for this.

Thanks to the above people who responded.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:48 
Site Admin
Site Admin

szdoc wrote:
What I can't figure out is how to determine past sales prices on this site.

That's an easy one, each LD page has the previous stats + graphs available.

Example for a popular title such as Matrix, The (1999) [17665]

Qty   Min      Avg      Max
Sealed   5   $123.00   $166.96   $205.00
Mint      42   $8.00   $111.48   $248.23
Used      6   $7.00   $93.83   $155.44

And the graphs are: https://www.lddb.com/past/9271/

I know the static images generated in PHP are not the best, I'm working on integrating with AnyChart.

Julien

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 16:55 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Oh. Oops. Totally missed the statistics.

Thanks much

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 17:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Zeta is grumpy but pretty much correct. On my last order from G&J I tossed in a few cheapy movies just because I'm already paying enough for shipping. Out of the loads of LD titles out there, most domestic releases are pretty cheap. He nailed it with "music related, imports, Criterion, anime, or some sort of special interest."* Special interest covers a wide range but I would say definitely releases that are collectible for one reason or another and then stuff like Star Wars and The Matrix. Star Wars because of it's raw unedited nature and The Matrix because it's not color ruined with green tint. There are other examples as well of course those are two of the big ones.

*The only LD movies I've ever bought individually are anime, Criterion and foreign films.

And he is right in that your best bet is just listing the titles here if you want it done fast. You said there are not many and you will get enough honest posters to reply and let you know what is and isn't valuable. You could even let us know your threshold for if a movie is worth selling or not and maybe someone would be interested in the bulk as well if you'd be willing to ship it. While value is an inexact science I would bet almost everyone here could tell you if each disc is worth say, at least $15 or not. Cheers.

The stats on the site that admin referenced are good as well. Easy to check, much moreso than eBay.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019, 17:06 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Will review and list my Criterion discs forthwith. Thanks, all

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]