It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:18

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: LD vs. DVD
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 14:39 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

spudeus wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Films like Flash Gordon and Predator are always going to be better on LD than Bluray form all the issues they have.
I don't know about the newer BD of Predator, they just release another version and it may be better now? 10th time is the charm?

I have the Ultra HD edition of Predator and thought it looked and sounded great - taking full potential of the medium. In fact, I would have been utterly ticked off if it didn't, since the LD was, what, 4 generations of format ago?

I've seen a lot of versions in pictures and in motion and the DVDs and Blurays of those films are Horrible.
Like I was saying, I have seen a new re-re-re-re-release on Bluray at Wallyworld and haven't seen that one yet, could
be the same as the Ultra you have so it is possible that after 30 years they finally put out a nice release.

There is a lot behind that film, its not supposed to look "great" as others have said in other forums and even here.
It was shot on cheap stock, it was a fast film in the jungle and they just wanted to make money off of it.

cplusplus wrote:
I sometimes forget DVD exists to be honest. I probably own 5 or so and only have a PS4 to watch them on. To me, the format is in an awkward position between LD and Blu-ray.

This is exactly why I am buying up all DVDs that I can of unique films, others will want them that never knew that they were even released.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 17:06 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If you really want to make a few bucks, stock on 4K UHD discs, not DVDs. 4K discs will be the first to get discontinued and there will be nothing to replace them for a long while. Streams already surpassed DVD quality but they won’t touch 4K Blu-rays for at least 5 years. Those who want the top quality playback will pay big bucks to buy the defunct 4K discs.

There is literally zero point in buying DVDs even now, let alone after they are discontinued. Laserdiscs had a few things going for them like uncompressed audio, nice cover arts, and star wars that DVD did not fulfill. There is nothing about DVD that Blu-rays don’t have. There is also so many DVDs, way more than all LDs ever sold, how can you know which will be valuable? There are only a handful 4K discs, you know half of them will be sought after.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 17:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I'll only pickup those when they are dirt cheap or 2 bucks each, that's when you can cash in on stuff when people and sellers just dump or overlook the stuff.

Look at CDs, when searching I find some rare stuff.
Take Classical for example, nobody wants it but it sells for big money overseas and domestically to the right person.
I just saw a Melodiya CD selling for 200-500, SELLING not asking.
People would just pass that in order to get their Jack White multicolored vinyl.

And another thing about your comment above, you are stating that the population of the world really wants the best quality thing.
When has this ever happened??? :P

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019, 19:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
There is nothing about DVD that Blu-rays don’t have.

Certain bonus features.

I just get mad every time they don't just port all the extras from the DVD release onto the blu-ray, especially when it's by the same studio anyway so there's not even a licensing issue involved, resulting in me having to keep both because they couldn't be bothered.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2019, 13:01 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Most R2 music DVDs with PCM sound are archive quality to me. If I have the choice I prefer silky analogue LD video but there are some very good DVDs that are completely satisfactory.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
Most R2 music DVDs with PCM sound are archive quality to me. If I have the choice I prefer silky analogue LD video but there are some very good DVDs that are completely satisfactory.

Only way to see LD in pure analog form is to get a player from like the early or mid 80's that has no digital features, and then watch early 80's LD releases on a CRT set from the same time period.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
spudeus wrote:
rein-o wrote:
Films like Flash Gordon and Predator are always going to be better on LD than Bluray form all the issues they have.
I don't know about the newer BD of Predator, they just release another version and it may be better now? 10th time is the charm?

The orignal 2008 Blu-Ray of Predator has been available for 11 years, and it's head and shoulders better than any LD or DVD transfer. The other transfer of Predator on Blu-Ray that your talking about with all the issues is the Ultimate Hunter Edition from 2010, and the 2013 3D Blu-Ray (which also used the same horrible DNR, brightened master as the UHE).

The new 2018 UHD 4K release of Predator is fantastic, and is by far the best transfer of Predator on the home video market.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
The orignal 2008 Blu-Ray of Predator has been available for 11 years, and it's head and shoulders better than any LD or DVD transfer. The other transfer of Predator on Blu-Ray that your talking about with all the issues is the Ultimate Hunter Edition from 2010, and the 2013 3D Blu-Ray (which also used the same horrible DNR, brightened master as the UHE).

The new 2018 UHD 4K release of Predator is fantastic, and is by far the best transfer of Predator on the home video market.

I have that BD and it's really bad.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Unless you are going to give me a 4K player I'm only going to own Predator on LD.
Not going to buy another format. So LD is the best option to own the original Predator unless you want to spend on a new format that
as substance said is gone already.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
I have that BD and it's really bad.

It's only bad if you hate grain. Granted the 2008 Blu-Ray is flawed (MPEG-2 encoding, 25GB disc storage, lowish bit rate etc), but it has the right intentions as far as presenting how the film is suppose to look.

It has much, much more detail than any LD or DVD and looks far better overall, that much is a fact.

The 2008 Blu-Ray was the best way to watch Predator up until last year when the 4K UHD came out.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 01:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
Unless you are going to give me a 4K player I'm only going to own Predator on LD.
Not going to buy another format. So LD is the best option to own the original Predator unless you want to spend on a new format that
as substance said is gone already.

So you don't own a Blu-Ray player? Because as I said the older 2008 Blu-Ray of Predator is objectively better than any DVD or LD edition, and it's better than the 2010/2013 Blu-Ray releases as well.

You could even buy the new 2018 4K transfer via streaming in a 1080p version on iTunes, and by doing this it's a lot better than even the 2008 Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 04:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I own a Bluray player but I am boycotting discs whenever possible and any newer format.
I also boycott any apple stuff and or downloads.

If I own it I can sell it later, even if I lose 90% I still make 10% with downloads I lose EVERYTHING and can recoup NOTHING.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 11:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

alien wrote:
forper wrote:

Only way to see LD in pure analog form is to get a player from like the early or mid 80's that has no digital features, and then watch early 80's LD releases on a CRT set from the same time period.

Am I wrong that LD video is read from an RF signal? An analogue RF signal...

If LD is actually digital as you claim why can I fast forward in perfect clarity on one but I can't do that on a DVD?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 13:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
I own a Bluray player but I am boycotting discs whenever possible and any newer format.
I also boycott any apple stuff and or downloads.

If I own it I can sell it later, even if I lose 90% I still make 10% with downloads I lose EVERYTHING and can recoup NOTHING.

Everything the same for me !
Especially apple stuff.
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2019, 14:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

My house is Apple free.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 08:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
alien wrote:
forper wrote:

Am I wrong that LD video is read from an RF signal? An analogue RF signal...

If LD is actually digital as you claim why can I fast forward in perfect clarity on one but I can't do that on a DVD?

LD video is analog but most players past the mid 80's have digital functions and processing in the signal of various degrees. It's a similar kinda thing with most TVs.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 11:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

But digital at the source (DVD) is different to " analogue video going through certain digital processes", so essentially I AM watching silky smooth analogue video (that's been through some processing). Well of course if it goes through my DVDO it has experienced digital processing too, there's still nothing like the smoothness of video that is analogue at the source and you can't deny that.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 16:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

forper wrote:
But digital at the source (DVD) is different to " analogue video going through certain digital processes", so essentially I AM watching silky smooth analogue video (that's been through some processing). Well of course if it goes through my DVDO it has experienced digital processing too, there's still nothing like the smoothness of video that is analogue at the source and you can't deny that.

Is it really? The film (analog) is transferred to D1 or D2 (digital) tape in order to make a quasi-analog disc we call LD.

That means it goes through an Analog to Digital conversion to get on the tape. Of course that means it is sampled and quantized. Its now a YCbCR 4:2:2 digital signal on a D1 or D2 tape. It is transferred to the disc as pulses of information with variable width (Pulse Wave Modulation). Similar to, but not the same as, pits and lands in a (digital) CD.

Nothing says Analog like PWM, Sampling and Quantization! Not to mention all the Digital processing in the player before it comes out of the yellow hole....But you already knew that and I hear what you're saying but still, not really Analog at all by the time your eyeballs are seeing it.

The only Analog aspect of it is that all that Digital stuff gets converted BACK TO NTSC (or PAL) in order to watch it because the display technology of the era was Analog.

Let's not even discuss Digital CRTs... ;)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2019, 21:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Really I don't give a s**t about technical details. I've always said it's about the experience for me, I’m pretty dumb about all that technical stuff and I can never remember what it all means.

All I know is LD looks a lot smoother than a DVD to me. Pans and freeze frames are clearer and less jarring, ie "silky smooth". It looks like a movie to me, it looks seamless whereas a DVD looks artificial often.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2019, 00:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I think the jarring has to do with refresh rates and such due to these newer TVs and other issues.

While I do love LD I have to love DVD in the same matter on the other side of the coin.
I do love that you can usually fit a film on one disc without flipping.

LD is great in its own right and I will always own something LD related as there are more than a handful of films I must own and
watch.
Also I never feel like the image on LD is on par to VHS, anybody who says this doesn't have their TVs calibrated properly.
Even when going from a Bluray to LD I never feel like I'm choking the image down, LD is nice on its own and even compared to other stuff
when calibrated properly, even on an 80" screen.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next