It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:34

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rant: Music laserdisc prices on ebay are overinflated
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 19:55 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hey guys,

I feel like I have to have a rant here. I'm collecting mostly laserdiscs with music videos on them. I see people selling for prices that are well above market value (e.g. $50 for a disc with 5 music videos). When someone has a Buy It Now option, I'll research completed listings as well as low/median/high sold prices on discogs and offer on the high side. For example, I'll usually offer the highest value I've ever seen it sold. Invariably, they will counteroffer with something that's halfway between their original crazy price and my realistic price (and I will decline) or they will decline without counteroffering.

It seems that people equate rarity with high prices without consideration of market value and what real people are willing to spend. What's worse, because of the already insane buy-it-now prices on eBay, someone wanting to sell their laserdiscs will see those prices and list theirs at a similar value. They never seem to look at completed listings - I realize this is true of eBay in general, but the relative scarcity and the niche market status of laserdiscs seems to make this way worse than for other items.

Anyway, I wonder how you guys feel about this. Thanks for letting me rant :)

Post subject: Re: Rant: Music laserdisc prices on ebay are overinflated
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:01 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I have to ask this question: what titles, why do you want them anyway, and how long have you been in the market?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well, there have been quite a few examples so far, but off the top of my head, I was looking into the Rolling Stones Greatest Hits laserdisc. The reason I want it is because they have never made their music videos available in DVD format to my knowledge. This particular title is on VHS and laserdisc only. As I collect music videos and care about quality, I want to get the best source available.

I've only been in the market for a few weeks, but I've made quite a few purchases. If it makes any difference, I've bought hundreds of music video DVDs, and I've also collected a lot of vinyl in the past. So I understand the general market even if the particular format is new to me.

And completed listings on eBay as well as the pricing history on Discogs are a very real indication of market value of an item, given a large enough sample size. You may see things that were sold under market value, but if you repeatedly see something that *hasn't* sold at a particular price, you get a good idea of what people are *not* willing to pay.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Welcome to the new norm, hopefully these people will either die off and their collection will become available or they will be tired of sitting on it and sell them.

But its hard when these sites like lddb, discogs, reverb and even ebay have NO listing fees so the sellers don't give a s**t and they can sit on it while they work
at wallyworld getting paid the big bucks.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Welcome to the new norm, hopefully these people will either die off and their collection will become available or they will be tired of sitting on it and sell them.

But its hard when these sites like lddb, discogs, reverb and even ebay have NO listing fees so the sellers don't give a s**t and they can sit on it while they work
at wallyworld getting paid the big bucks.

Well at least ebay is finally changing their policy regarding this sort of thing so many things will finally drop to more realistic prices.

There's a Black Sabbath laserdisc I kind of want but not for the 90 dollars it's currently on ebay for. It's not even exclusive to the format because it has been released on DVD like twice already.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

You know, if these people would start listing laserdics as auctions rather than buy it now, I think the market would change really quickly :) The buy-it-now only listings - while I acknowledge there is technically a benefit to both parties - is really just a wall of BS that these sellers are hiding behind. They know that many of these listings would go for comically low amounts on auction.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 20:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes but I too am one to blame, I have stuff that I wouldn't sell for nothing and I know how rare it is, but I don't work at wallyworld :lol:

There is an anime disc on ebay that I'm interested in but since its been up for 3 years I doubt that they will sell it or I will own their copy.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 22:59 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Hi,

it is not just the music LDs that are often offered at optimistic (silly) prices.

Check some prices for LDs on sale here, there are a few sellers with quite a few at crazy prices.

As a example only - the Japanese boxed sets for The Prisoner are on sale here from a seller at $1500 for the three sets or from another seller offering them individually with a total for all three being $1821 but will they ever sell at that price, highly unlikely.

I have got the three sets & only paid a fraction of the aforementioned prices, a couple of the sets cost me more in postage than the purchase price - they came from Japan & the post costs from the Japanese post office are still pretty reasonable.

Often patience can be rewarded, sometimes years - there are LDs that I have wanted but could not afford the silly prices & even if I could would not indulge in the "high value" type nonsense around in many hobbies, collectables & the like which sadly includes laserdiscs.

Try to ignore the daft prices & enjoy that nice warm feeling when you do bag an LD you really want for a price you are happy with, they do turn up.

Some auction prices can fluctuate but often when the buyers who are happy to place killer high bids on auctions have the disc (or whatever) the prices can often drop dramatically, again patience will often pay off.

Good luck hunting :thumbup: .

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 23:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh, I remember finding the Prisoner box sets on ebay after they ended for something like 15 or 25 bucks each :(
Very sad but if you wait you will find stuff cheap, and ebay is now whatever they are you can find stuff really cheap.

I just bought a real 18k gold and silver ring for about I would say 8 bucks, it was in a lot.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 02:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

All you can really do is not buy, it sends the right message. For stuff you are really wanting, try other sites. Preferably Japanese sites if you are looking for Japanese LDs.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 04:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've never used buyee.

I did buy three discs from Mandarake the other day, but they're still in the mail. They were only like 100 yen each tho and I bought them in a bundle with a whole bunch of other crap so I can't say I'll be too upset if they all turn out to be duds.

Last edited by takeshi666 on 08 Apr 2019, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 04:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

EDIT: Great, I accidentally clicked "quote" instead of "edit" :x

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 12:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Buyee is just for sites that won't ship outside of Japan.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 22:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I would love to get more Kylie and other 80s girls but at the moment its expensive and I hope it changes drastically. I have not gotten LDs from Japan other than through eBay so I don't know how careful buyee packs them or whatever but have bought several VHDs and 2 players which were really packaged well. It must be said that its probably easier to ship those since VHDs are in caddies and seem more robust.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 01:01 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its not buyee as much as the initial seller who packs them.
I did the cheapest shipping options and the only discs broken were ones from Japan to Buyee that were just wrapped in paper.
I saved about 50-70 dollars but lost 1 disc, so in all it worked out but I haven't bought in about 3 years now.

There are so few that I want and any anime that I do want I can buy the DVD for 10% of the asking price on LD :(

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 01:35 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Right I forgot since the first package when delivered to buyee when combining them with another purchase into a larger cardboard box.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2019, 17:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I find that on Yahoo Japan via Buyee some are still very reasonably priced, let's say flee market prices, then add up the price to pay for the proxy and shipping and it gets to about tens of dollars, but at least not like in the 100 or more range.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 07:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To help check previous pricing on LDDb (I don't control YAJ or eBay):

Artists list -> https://www.lddb.com/artists.php
Then new prices dashboard for each title -> New price history DASHBOARD is online!

The middle upper graph will show the current range of selling prices versus the historical range of prices that sold. It's an aggregated view of the line graph below that shows the evolution of prices over time.

Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]