It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: WTF is going on with prices of common discs
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2021, 02:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Can we have a WTF is going on with prices of common discs category??

Would love to see what others have to say and have a focused category for that.
Been seeing discs and would be nice to ask why these are going so high, is there something special or what.

Post subject: Re: WTF is going on with prices of common discs
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 08:41 
First post
First post

I have noticed that as well and have also noticed the recent decrease in the availability of common discs in many formats. My initial opinion is that the recent increase in prices and decreases in availability (at least in HD-DVD prices) had something to do with the April Fool's joke of releasing Zack Snyder's Justice League on HD-DVD.

I like to look around goodwill and other thrift stores in my area and there are other reasons why I think the prices have gone up. Goodwill is now putting the majority of the presumed "expensive" or "valuable" items online instead of selling everything in the store.

Overall, maybe people are just looking for physical media again after years of people donating or recycling their collections?

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 14:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Goodwill has been doing that for at least the past 7 years.

There are still sections of stuff where I have made out very well at the shops.

I'm asking more about titles where there are at least 3 different versions on LD, the LD is nothing special other than widescreen or original home release
mix. Then there are at least 4 or 5 versions on DVD and now more than 2 on Bluray but they are still asking 100 for the LD.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 14:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Good, I have to sell several hundred copies... waiting for them to reach 100€ each and sell them as a lot! :D

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 16:22 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Maybe LD's are really going into the 'vintage' part of the cycle of life of old tat. In a couple of decades good condition jackets with nice art will probably be expensive antiques - but hardly anything will be left to play or capture the disks.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 16:32 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firderrig wrote:
My initial opinion is that the recent increase in prices and decreases in availability (at least in HD-DVD prices) had something to do with the April Fool's joke of releasing Zack Snyder's Justice League on HD-DVD.

At least it'll be easy to mock up a WB release in a few years, for a real one would've rotted by then anyway.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2021, 19:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Can we have a WTF is going on with prices of common discs category??

Would love to see what others have to say and have a focused category for that.
Been seeing discs and would be nice to ask why these are going so high, is there something special or what.

I would love to find these buyers. :lol:

I just sent a bunch of common movies that were duplicates (or beyond) for me to a friend for free.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2021, 03:12 
True fan
True fan

I swear most of the laserdisc sellers on ebay don't even have a laserdisc player to test out the laserdiscs to make sure it doesn't have any issues. I'm worried about rot and yes I now that's uncommon but it's not only rot I'm worried about. In the past I bought a copy of Puppet Master which only had one side of the film printed on it. I think it's the last half of the movie. It's actually right before all the action happens I think. I don't even know how that happens with a laserdisc. Like how does only one side of the movie get printed on? Either way the seller let me keep that but I haven't even watched it much. Also, I notice that some Brand New laserdiscs will sell more than USED ones. However I personally prefer USED over NEW because that way if the seller does have a player I can ask them if there's any issues. I would say overall most sellers do not have a player. I think I would say about 7/10 Ebay sellers don't have an ld player. Whether they ended up selling the player or they never had one to begin with because they picked the laserdiscs up at a local thrift shop to resell for profit. I never see any laserdiscs at my local thrift shops in South Jersey. I don't think that's too shocking because I bet most people from this area do not have laserdisc players. The only other person I know that has a laserdisc player is my Cousin. I think he knows I have a laserdisc player but he may have forgotten. I probably have more laserdiscs than him. I would let him borrow my laserdiscs if he wanted to watch any of the movies I have. I'm pretty sure he'd definitely want to watch Blade. I remember when I was younger and living at my grandma's house temporarily that he showed off Blade on DVD. I believe at that time period Blade DVD was considered the high standard for DVDs. I think we watched it on a small computer screen though so obviously it would look great on a fat crt monitor. I don't know how well that's aged. The laserdisc is alright looking. I've collected some fairly expensive laserdiscs. Not sure my Cousin has anything on my level of prices I've paid. I feel like he buys the cheaper common laserrdiscs such as Die Hard. I see a zillion Die Hard laserdiscs on ebay and they're always pretty cheap.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2021, 03:31 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Disc I bought last year I sent a message to the seller with the offer saying that they haven't made parts for players in the past 20 years.
I agree, most of these people are selling who have no players, they get a few random discs in LP lots and then sell them off.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]