It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:52

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Correct release year for a Laserdisc (Discovision?)
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2022, 23:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

I'm not new to the Laserdisc scene. Most of the 90's I dreamed of them so while parents went for the videotapes I was dreaming of these large covers. I am new to this early era of Disco Vision. 1. any site I can go to to explain why it's a different video format than NTSC and PAL?

2. Specifically the year for High Plains Drifter. Says 1973 for the movie and 1978 for that release. But the page says 1979. Which one is correct?

High Plains Drifter (1973) [14-002] One I got is in very bad shape. One I'd found said in good condition except most of side one froze. Until I hit a quick FF off my LD-V2200 Pioneer Industrial player. Doubt my brothers full digital one would work. (consumer grade) Mine tends to play warped LD. Only got a couple of those. Side 2 less freezing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/194900841462 Went for another . Cause if I was going for Pale Rider I'd go for HPD first.. "Lets paint the town red" And I like this site cause I collect nowadays p/s cause not all were actually p/s but rather scanned from the top of the negative to the bottom. Case in Point is 1997's The Postman. In VHS p/s more is shown in the love scene in p/s than in widescreen that chopped off the top and bottom. making the essential corners missing. Yeah I'll probably get The Postman. But I'd love to find a p/s of it. Still have 2-3 videotape players left except one is auto track throughout the tape.. That one works the best (JVC I think) Got several tapes I thought would never go to dvd to work. So I've been collecting p/s both for that reason and because they are usually the original releases.. Otherwise my profile was deactivated at some point so only admin might know when I joined. Been collecting between 2005 and 2008. This site I had when I got them but they were erased when I found it again. I'd run out of room and bout to do so again. Love movies and books... Got two many of both. :) and near 110 LD's. 4 CED's no needle for my player if it bothered to work.

Post subject: Re: Correct release year for a Laserdisc (Discovision?)
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2022, 15:20 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Given the late 1978 release date of Discovision and the atrocious yields, they probably made some in 1978 but it's most likely 1979 if it's a boxed copy.

The V2200 is mechanically based on the CLD-3030... it is a very sturdy-feeling design though. The only truly unique Pioneer industrial players are the V8000 and V4400.

I find the late CLD's to be pretty good at tracking Discovision, but I don't have a second gen Pioneer gas tube player to compare it to (let alone a calibrated one!)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2022, 00:28 
Honest fan
Honest fan

"And I like this site cause I collect nowadays p/s cause not all were actually p/s but rather scanned from the top of the negative to the bottom".

Your talking about Open Matte. I'm doing the same thing, by buying old LDs...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2022, 01:29 
True fan
True fan

The dates for Discovision are pretty hard to nail down. Remember, this was at the very beginning of home video so there isn't any information available to the public regarding when these things were coming out. Several Discovision titles were released in Dec. of 1978 in the Atlanta, Georgia area only. The Seattle, Washington area was next in early 1979. Although there isn't a list of titles that were released for either of these areas, you can "sort of" place when the discs were prepared due to the packaging. The earliest Discovision titles did not have a copyright of 1978 on the lower right hand side of the box. This was a misprint and stickers were applied to correct the mistake, so if you find a title with a sticker on it or if the title does not say 1979 in the copyright (due to the sticker falling off over the last 44 years), chances are that the title was prepared for the release in Dec 1978. The next "run" had the date printed on the box. Next, they got rid of the boxes and switched to the "side-opening" covers that would become the standard for laserdiscs. All of this happened over the course of 1 year. Of the hundred or so copies I have seen, they all have had the 1978 copyright printed, so 1979 is a very safe bet for the release date. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2022, 15:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only date I have for "High Plains Drifter" is 1979.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]