It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:03

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3rd party creators to resurrect laserdics? (Dare I say it?)
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 04:09 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Admins, you can scrap this thread if you think it is lame, a SPAM plug, or such (or if it has been discussed before)! In 1992, I was trying to start a rap organization called W.E. C.R.A.Z.Y. (Wildly Endorsing College Rap And Zealous Yearnings) at what was USL in Lafayette, Louisiana, at the time (which is now UL). I knew of a recording studio called Lil' Jabos (or close to that), that referred me to "Disc Makers" (discmakers.com), who then sent me a catalog. They mass produce CDs and such for 3rd party/independent artists! Anyway, one of their ads came up in FB today, so I buzzed them with the idea! I am quite impressed with the laserdisc community, and how it has survived over the years! I just think it would ROCK if the enthusiasts got together and made some sort of partial revitalization! Maybe it is just a dumb idea, but I'm bipolar, and get a lot of off the hip ideas, that I think could actually be worth the trouble, but they usually just sound good in my head, and aren't worth the hoo-rah!

While I am on the general subject, does anyone here know of any 3rd party entities that build laserdisc machines from scratch?

Post subject: Re: 3rd party creators to resurrect laserdics? (Dare I say i
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 06:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This has already been discussed quite a bit!

Is there ANY chance for a new player in the future ?
new LD players how to do it?
Laserdisc Player Resurrection Crowdfunding Project, ANYONE?

The conclusion is that making new players is economically impossible, Pioneer Japan trashed all the remaining parts end of 2020.
Making new LDs is technically impossible (all machines have been scrapped or re-tooled).

Best options is to harvest good parts from broken players, 3D-print what can be redone, and find possible substitutes:

Recreating the VNL1779 - for real

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 07:13 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thanks for getting back to me! I didn't want to be lazy and not look, to see if this had been discussed, but I was confident that I'd miss it in a side-reference in something that was not the main thread, and therefore make it a waste. Damn...

But thanks, bro! LOL

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2022, 13:15 
True fan
True fan

Unless the laserdisc player you have has been treated like complete crap it shouldn't even be falling apart. :lol:
They seem built pretty good unless it was tossed around a lot during shipping and some how internal parts became loose.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2022, 13:38 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Probably the best we can hope for in the near future for a whole new player is a DIY setup that uses a laser scanner (maybe something like this: https://www.gaudi.ch/GaudiLabs/?page_id=652 ) to scan a whole side at once, then decodes/outputs it with something like the Domesday86 software on a Raspberry Pi or FPGA or something. Maybe in a big 3D printed enclosure made to look like a LD player.

Maybe technology similar to the IRENE project could read LDs someday. https://irene.lbl.gov/

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2022, 14:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

jd213 wrote:
Probably the best we can hope for in the near future for a whole new player is a DIY setup that uses a laser scanner (maybe something like this: https://www.gaudi.ch/GaudiLabs/?page_id=652 ) to scan a whole side at once, then decodes/outputs it with something like the Domesday86 software on a Raspberry Pi or FPGA or something. Maybe in a big 3D printed enclosure made to look like a LD player.

Maybe technology similar to the IRENE project could read LDs someday. https://irene.lbl.gov/

I’m convinced this will happen eventually.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]