It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help choosing between 3 players
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 16:04 
Third post and above
Third post and above

This is my forst post here, and I need help deciding which player i should go for.

first is a Mitsubishi M-V6027 with 2 remotes
next is Pioneer CLD-S201 with 33 discs & no remote
last is Pioneer CLD-M301 that doesn't come with anything

as for price, the CLD-S201 is 25$ cheaper than the M301, and the Mitsubishi one is 5$ cheaper than the M301.

Which would be the best deal. I'm trying to just buy one player and hopefully never have to upgrade from it again. Which means I'm also looking for durability.

Im a newbie so help would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Help choosing between 3 players
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 17:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

LD players are breakage prone and spares are rare, even more rare the experience and knowledge needed to repair them.

$25 this way or the other is meaningless. LD fandom can only go two ways. You’ll either quit within a year or two or you’ll own 15 players and 1000 discs. If you end up being a mega fan you won’t care about anything like the concept of “a deal”, and if you end up quit every dollar is wasted so either way $25 doesn’t matter.

The S201 is a POS but certainly not the worst, it could be a Sony. If it works and it’s local, buy it.

All of the M series Pioneers suck. Avoid.

The M-V6027 looks to be a clone of a Pioneer ‘oke deck, perhaps a 604? That would probably be the best bet performance wise but it may break a m-holder or something.

Don’t ship any player. If you can’t buy it locally, don’t buy it.

Older players are built like tanks and last longer but later players have more features and better performance.

In general I don’t recommend anyone get into LD in 2022. It’s pointless if you don’t have a collection, this is your chance to avoid a mistake.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 17:25 
Third post and above
Third post and above

signofzeta wrote:
LD players are breakage prone and spares are rare, even more rare the experience and knowledge needed to repair them.

$25 this way or the other is meaningless. LD fandom can only go two ways. You’ll either quit within a year or two or you’ll own 15 players and 1000 discs. If you end up being a mega fan you won’t care about anything like the concept of “a deal”, and if you end up quit every dollar is wasted so either way $25 doesn’t matter.

The S201 is a POS but certainly not the worst, it could be a Sony. If it works and it’s local, buy it.

All of the M series Pioneers suck. Avoid.

The M-V6027 looks to be a clone of a Pioneer ‘oke deck, perhaps a 604? That would probably be the best bet performance wise but it may break a m-holder or something.

Don’t ship any player. If you can’t buy it locally, don’t buy it.

Older players are built like tanks and last longer but later players have more features and better performance.

In general I don’t recommend anyone get into LD in 2022. It’s pointless if you don’t have a collection, this is your chance to avoid a mistake.

Thanks for the reply! I have a couple of laserdiscs passed down from a family friend, and a player thats too picky with what it plays. All of them are local. I actually had already talked to the seller of the S201 and set up a meeting for tomorrow, and looking at manuals available between this one and the Mitsubishi, this player is the only one that has one.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 18:13 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The Mitsubishi is a clone of the Pioneer, CLD-D504 so you can use the manual for it. Here it is….

https://manuals.lddb.com/LD_Players/Pio ... N_Scan.pdf

And if I had a choice, I would go with the Mitsubishi. It’s a newer design with decent performance, auto reverse, and AC3-RF Output (but we don’t want to get too far into that right now ;) ).

The only minor issue is the fragile motor holder but that shouldn’t be an issue now since there is a 3D printed replacement available now. Just don’t drop the player.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 19:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

yonemye wrote:
I actually had already talked to the seller of the S201 and set up a meeting for tomorrow, and looking at manuals available between this one and the Mitsubishi, this player is the only one that has one.

Just give them the money and let them keep the player.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 20:19 
Third post and above
Third post and above

rein-o wrote:
yonemye wrote:
I actually had already talked to the seller of the S201 and set up a meeting for tomorrow, and looking at manuals available between this one and the Mitsubishi, this player is the only one that has one.

Do people really hate the player that much bc of it's PQ? Looked up videos and it honestly doesnt look that bad

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 22:12 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I think a lot of the comments hating so much on the S201 are really exaggerated; if it works then it's a good player in my book, sure you won't get many of the cool trick play features and dual-side play but its great for someone just trying to get a feel into LD

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2022, 22:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

crashoveride wrote:
I think a lot of the comments hating so much on the S201 are really exaggerated; if it works then it's a good player in my book, sure you won't get many of the cool trick play features and dual-side play but its great for someone just trying to get a feel into LD

I wonder how it measures up to the CLD-950, which is also an incredibly basic model.

Personally, I don't think the S201 is necessarily a bad player, especially if it's your first. It might not wow you with the features, but at least you'll have an opportunity to build up a library of titles and figure out whether or not this whole LD thing is really for you and whether or not you consider the investment into another, better player worth it.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 01:00 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

yonemye wrote:
rein-o wrote:
yonemye wrote:

Do people really hate the player that much bc of it's PQ? Looked up videos and it honestly doesnt look that bad

We don’t really hate LDs. We are just old and grumpy.

It is true though the LD picture is indeed sub par for 2022. There were some LD exclusives until not long ago. They all came out on Blu-ray which is better in every way (and almost always much cheaper). This leaves very little sensible incentives to get into LD in 2022 other than the nostalgia or curiosity. So it makes us grumpy when we see someone dropping $400 on a sub par Hollywood film on LD where the Blu-ray is in the $5 bin in Walmart or several hundred $$$ to a player which we had hard time giving away for free 10 years ago. Well, of course, we wouldn’t be grumpy if we were the seller of these ;)

My vote is also for the Mitsu if it is in decent condition and functional. Like Zeta mentioned, it is difficult to find someone who is capable of repairing these. Even harder to find parts.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 03:31 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

+1 for the M-V6027. You gain Both Side Play (if that matters to you) for $20. AC-3 RF as well if you want to bother with it in the future.

As for the CLD-S201, my personal opinion is it has better picture quality than several models that sell for higher prices. Not sure if that matters much. For reference, a DVL-909 supposedly sold on eBay last month for $800 USD (plus shipping).

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 03:48 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I've always been grumpy for other reasons not LD.
Substance said it best, now its just not worth it, only reason I'm keeping LD is due to not wanting to toss the LDs and re-purchase them on a newer format.
and then I'll be in that same vicious cycle dumping 4K and buying the next new format.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 04:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

yonemye wrote:

I don't think I expressed any negativity toward the 201 when I recommended the Mits. It was simply; here are my three choices, which one would you get? Naturally, if the three choices were two top loaders from the 70's and the 201, I would then choose the 201 (or would I since I don't own any HeNe laser players at the moment :) ).

In any case, I might even choose the M301 if it was cheap enough as I would like a potential spare parts machine in case I really needed it to fix my M90.

Last edited by ldfan on 12 Sep 2022, 05:05, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 22:02 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

If these are local the Mitsu is probably the best one (the 1995 D504 is on the "Do Not Ship, Ever" list), the S201 is probably alright, but avoid the M.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2022, 22:44 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hey guys... just wanted to update on what I decided to go with...
The Mitsubishi M-V6027!!! Too lazy to get up and take close-up pics but it's in crazy good condition. Happy to finally be able to play my newest T.P.D concert :D :D

Thanks a bunch to everyone for their input. Hope to maybe fix or sell the old one, though I think it's a problem with the laser and would need an oscilloscope

Attachments:
thumbnail_IMG_6183.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6183.jpg [ 225.44 KiB | Viewed 1547 times ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]