It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 02:18




 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: [CLD-959] Cleaning
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2023, 12:07 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2022, 11:08
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Hi!

So, I opened up a CLD-959 today and found ... spider web and dust. As someone, not being a professional, what are my chances at being able to take (some) things apart, clean it up, assemble and get it running again? I don't plan to touch the laser.

Tools - Air spray? Vacuum cleaner? Fluids?

Also, there was some interesting gunk in one of the legs. Wasn't anything I could google and seems kind of weirdly placed, so I'm thinking not pest related (although not sure). It's a little porous, but sort of can be scratched off with a cotton swab or something. Capacitor leak?

Attachment:
IMG_2780.jpg
IMG_2780.jpg [ 120.49 KiB | Viewed 932 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_2780_2.jpg
IMG_2780_2.jpg [ 71.71 KiB | Viewed 932 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2023, 22:25 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2022, 11:08
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Hmm, maybe some kind of flux reaction...?

Anyway, here's another pic of one of the component panels. There's some ... rust? and stuff there. Is this normal / ok for an old player? Or is this player dooooooomed? (I know they all are, but asking about this one in particular) :)


Attachments:
IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg [ 493.68 KiB | Viewed 1055 times ]
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2023, 05:34 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2007, 03:12
Posts: 1533
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 347 times
For your first picture there originally was a foam pad in the cavity and what you see is what is left after it was removed or was removed. What you are showing looks fine. I'd just plug it in and see if it works.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2023, 17:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 8139
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 885 times
joneth wrote:
So, I opened up a CLD-959 today


Why??
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2023, 02:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2020, 04:34
Posts: 28
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
rein-o wrote:
joneth wrote:
So, I opened up a CLD-959 today


Why??



Because he could.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2023, 14:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 8139
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 885 times
jefflang wrote:
rein-o wrote:
joneth wrote:
So, I opened up a CLD-959 today


Why??



Because he could.


But now he's asking questions, should have figured that out before he opened it :lol:

I took my car belt off what do I do next. :wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2023, 20:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 1478
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 546 times
rein-o wrote:

But now he's asking questions, should have figured that out before he opened it :lol:

I took my car belt off what do I do next. :wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:



How do you expect anyone to familiarize themselves w/ how an LD player works if they never open it up? Regardless if the OP has no experience working on these machines, eventually he/she will have to open it for basis maintenance as one can't expect an extinct repair shop to help them out.

As for the OP, keep it simple when working on this machine since you are new to it. For cobwebs, just lift it out with your finger. For general dust, I would use a lint free cloth to wipe it away (never use cleaning chemicals) or just leave it as it won't harm the player. If the player is working fine @ the moment, no need to do more if it risks damaging the unit. Enjoy it for now and worry about real maintenance later.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2023, 03:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2020, 04:34
Posts: 28
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
But now he's asking questions, should have figured that out before he opened it :lol:

I took my car belt off what do I do next. :wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:[/quote]


Hey rein-o,
How about just trying to rein-it in.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2023, 18:43 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 8139
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 885 times
ldfan wrote:
rein-o wrote:

But now he's asking questions, should have figured that out before he opened it :lol:

I took my car belt off what do I do next. :wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:



How do you expect anyone to familiarize themselves w/ how an LD player works if they never open it up? Regardless if the OP has no experience working on these machines, eventually he/she will have to open it for basis maintenance as one can't expect an extinct repair shop to help them out.

As for the OP, keep it simple when working on this machine since you are new to it. For cobwebs, just lift it out with your finger. For general dust, I would use a lint free cloth to wipe it away (never use cleaning chemicals) or just leave it as it won't harm the player. If the player is working fine @ the moment, no need to do more if it risks damaging the unit. Enjoy it for now and worry about real maintenance later.


I think its more of the if it ain't broke don't fix it, I get it and all the rest you are saying but this OP is just wrong with it.
I have 4 players, one of which is not working right, when I get the time I'm going to open it up and see what's going on, I've
never worked on any of my players yet, one had a stuck tray but it somehow got unstuck when I pushed it in the lucky right way.

This guy had no reason to open the player, it was working fine, just found some spider webs inside and then starts asking about what
is my dirt.
That's all I see.

Back to the start, I'm not going to open the other 3 players until there are issues.

BTW thx Jeff, but it wasn't funny.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 01 May 2023, 21:38 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jun 2014, 05:59
Posts: 1478
Location: San Francisco, CA USA
Has thanked: 436 times
Been thanked: 546 times
rein-o wrote:
I think its more of the if it ain't broke don't fix it, I get it and all the rest you are saying but this OP is just wrong with it....

.....This guy had no reason to open the player, it was working fine, just found some spider webs inside and then starts asking about what
is my dirt.
That's all I see.


We open the hoods of our cars all the time whether we are working on them or not. Also, the OP asked for advice first and didn't proceed (I assume). I don't see this being a problem and I know I would never have been able to understand these players as well as as I do now if I never opened them up.



rein-o wrote:
I have 4 players, one of which is not working right, when I get the time I'm going to open it up and see what's going on, I've
never worked on any of my players yet, one had a stuck tray but it somehow got unstuck when I pushed it in the lucky right way.


Sounds like you need to start opening up your players to start familiarizing yourself with its inner workings before it's too late. Your stuck tray is most likely dried grease or a bad belt. If it's the former and you wait too long, you could end up with a cracked gear which is a worse thing to deal with.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 02 May 2023, 03:05 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 03 Feb 2020, 04:34
Posts: 28
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 4 times
rein-o wrote:
ldfan wrote:
rein-o wrote:

But now he's asking questions, should have figured that out before he opened it :lol:

I took my car belt off what do I do next. :wtf: :lol: :wtf: :lol: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:



BTW thx Jeff, but it wasn't funny.



Ah rein-o,

I'm glad you got it. My comment was not meant to be funny.

On the other hand, your comment with your myriad of Smilies, was evidently meant to be funny.
It wasn't.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 02 May 2023, 03:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 8139
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 885 times
jefflang wrote:
Ah rein-o,

I'm glad you got it. My comment was not meant to be funny.


Oh good, just stupid then.
Gotcha
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
PostPosted: 08 May 2023, 08:45 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity
User avatar

Joined: 07 Jul 2022, 11:08
Posts: 27
Location: Sweden
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Dang it, didn't receive any e-mail notifications, so I didn't check back on the thread until now... :angel: Many thanks for all the answers!

So, it seems the general advice is to just do a light clean, basically remove the cobwebs and let the rest be. :thumbup: I'm, quite content with not trying to remove any inside electronics!

And yes, I only opened it up to have a quck look since the tray was a little dirty and I wanted to know if there would be something in there that would damage the player when running. Just removing the hood should be fine most (all?) of the time, right?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: [CLD-959] Cleaning
PostPosted: 08 May 2023, 17:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 8139
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 1286 times
Been thanked: 885 times
I'm in the side that if its working don't mess with it.

Since you opened and found some oddball stuff and no floating screws or discs or CDs then you are pretty much fine.
I wouldn't open it again until you have an issue.

Hope you enjoy laserdiscs.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: