It is currently 24 Jun 2024, 03:59

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: [CLD-2950] blown x2 cap tray stuck in
PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 09:09 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Hi,
I recently picked up a 2950 with a blown X2 cap on the power supply. The unit was 'stuck' in a half sort of play condition and the tray will not budge. I've managed to fool it to drop the head and carriage but it still stubbornly refuses to let me release the tray - which will be necessary to fix the PSU. Turning the tray belt has no effect.
Anyone with any ideas? Is it possible to remove the tray by 'dismantling' the machine?
Many Thanks
Joe

Post subject: Re: [CLD-2950] blown x2 cap tray stuck in
PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 10:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

There was some talk of tray removal in this recent thread:

[CLD-S104] How to manually eject tray

...but if your tray is truly 'jammed' in some way as your post suggests, through damage or force applied by the previous owner, then that's probably of little use.

Actually getting the tray out if it won't slide...? Well I should imagine it's possible but you might have to undo every last screw in the player to do it! The service manual will probably have those diagrams showing how it all holds together, but I find those pretty baffling myself...

So I'd really persevere with gentle 'waggling' of the tray and finger-winding of the belt-pulley back and forth as much as I could, before resorting to anything more drastic.

When you say 'turning the belt has no effect' is the pulley jammed? Or turning very freely with no resistance at all? Or turning with some resistance as it winds the other gears around? (it should be this last one).

The whole sequence with the belt-eject system should be:

(At one extreme)
"Ready to play" position - disc clamped and laser moved close to surface.
(wind the pulley a bit)
Motor and laser start to drop away
(wind more)
Motor and laser fully dropped
(wind more)
Tray starts to move outwards.
(wind more until you reach other extreme)
Tray fully extended.

Is winding the pulley doing any of this? (remember that the gearing is very low, you have to wind the pulley a lot for even slight movements to be apparent).

Sorry to not be much help...

PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 10:50 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Great thanks for the advice and possible course of action - I'm going to have a play later today and will get back if I have a result. The Belt remark refers to the situation that the drive belt is moving but not doing anything, in that it moves but seemingly with no effect. I shall persevere....
Thanks again

PostPosted: 03 May 2024, 15:51 
Third post and above
Third post and above

Well, once I'd managed to get the front of the tray off ( thanks to a bit of give in the tray mech itself), then removal the front Panel and both right hand ( large ) PCB's; it gave me some small visual on what was going on. It seemed that something had jumped out of alignment and with the aid of a chopstick - I could gently free/lever the tray off the engagements and in a couple of stages I had it off the main mechanism. I put everything back to where it looked like it would go and I've run the tray in a couple of times; it seems to do what it should with no binding. So now its back to the PSU and see if I can clean and replace the damaged components. So not out of the woods yet - but closer to finding out whats wrong with the unit.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]