It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:24

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [SDP-E800] Display issue
PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 00:19 
True fan
True fan

I just stumbled across this unit in a Goodwill store and noticed it had an ac3 rf input. It was a bit roughed up and minus the remote but I took a chance. Bought it for a few bucks and hooked it up at home to have the display suddenly disappear when my back was turned for a second. :x
I tried it out, and boy does the ac3 sound amazing! Just straight analog inputs into the back of my Sony receiver. But why would the display suddenly have conked out? It looked fine and now I can't fine tune all my speaker and soundfield settings. Can this be an easy fix?

What do people think of this unit? It's pretty well put together and looks similar to my old Sony DVD player.

Post subject: Re: Sony SDP-E800 and display issue
PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 02:04 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have this unit as well. I use it solely as a AC3 demodulator and don't pass the video through. There is no reason to pass the video through the unit as it's not a scaler and would only degrade the picture quality. It is rather a cheap unit (not in a bad way) so I probably recommend not using the analog outs either and just running the Dolby Digital stream out of the unit into your receiver and have it decode the signal, plus this saves you 5 RCA cables! As for a fix, I don't know what to tell you as I've never tried to repair the unit.

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 02:16 
True fan
True fan

Oh, I thought you had to use analog! Popped in the optical cable and feel like a bit of a ninny! I went around and found all 6 rca cables...somewhere. :lol:
The display's been popping on and off while running LDs so I've been able to tweak settings. What setting do you use on yours?

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 02:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have everything off essentially. I just run the AC3 into the SDP-e800 and then the digital output straight to my receiver and have it (the receiver) decode the Dolby Digital stream. I don't have any video hooked up as my receiver is doing the upscaling to 1080p.

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 12:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I checked the manual for my SDP-E800 and the behavior of the dimmer is normal. You have 4 choices for the intensity of the display: Full on, 2 steps lighter and off. Your' SDP dimmer is set to off. To change it, you go to the OTHER SETUP menu by pressing the DPC mode button. To describe the procedure here would be too difficult. Your best bet is to get a copy of the operating manual from Sony and the instructions for processor setup are there.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 13:54 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You can find a link to the manual at:
http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=266

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 07:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've tried several different decoder/processors and like that Sony model the best. It has enough inputs to allow you to run more than just the LD player AC3 through it. There's enough so you can have all the LD audio outs connected no matter what player you have, and still be able to connect at least 2 or 3 other type players easily.

If setting that display dimness function doesn't clear the problem, you might have a weak/intermittent display screen connection or such along that circuit. Kind of like when a lamp flickers due to a near break in the wire or plug.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 10:19 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

sdraper wrote:
Oh, I thought you had to use analog! Popped in the optical cable and feel like a bit of a ninny! I went around and found all 6 rca cables...somewhere. :lol:
The display's been popping on and off while running LDs so I've been able to tweak settings. What setting do you use on yours?

I know what it is! Its a fluorescent type isn't it?

There is chance one or few pins on the PCB has dry-joints and that is why the display is turning on and off or rather cutting out as the pins are not making a proper electrical contact with PCB.

You'll need three things providing you already have cross-head screwdriver. You'll need a soldering iron solder sucker to remove the old solder from the dry joints, and spool of new solder to re-solder new contacts to the PCB board.

Yes it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours to fix but if you remove the lid careful bearing in mind if careless you can get an electrical shock!

So to be safe for first SWITCH OFF THE UNIT AND DISCONNECT FROM MAINS!

Remove the lid and with a plastic throw away pen poke around where the pins are located on the back of the PCB and with tip of the pen place it ether at the side of the pin or underneath the pin and apply a little bit of pressure to see if it (moves or wobbles). Keep going along the area where the display is fitted. There will be other pins sticking out but don't bother with them just look for the ones where the display is fitted, you'll find it.

I had the same issue with AVR of mine and its since gotten a new dry-joint with the display cutting in and cutting off I know its annoying but it only takes a few hours and remember to breath Grasshopper and switch on the air conditioner as you might be getting a little impatient. :lol:

So this is the Sony you got well looks easy to fix in the case of the display if it was anything else, I doubt I'd be able to help out. Its an easy repair if don't do anything silly and use common sense as you don't want to make the matter worse. Also when removing lid take a few moments to clean the dust out and clean the outside up.

This isn't the same type but it is a fluorescent display you'll see lots of tiny little pins coming out from behind. So it could be only a few pins out so many that has dry solder that has broken lose kinder like a lose tooth, but question is...? Is it safe. :lol:

Good luck. :)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 12:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I own this model as well. You may just want to pick up another one. Sometimes they sell for super cheap,... like $30. It's not worth the time to screw around with it (unless you enjoy DIY projects as I do) as the cost of replacement is so cheap.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2012, 17:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can the fluorescent tube-type displays, like that in the Sony, lose brightness with time and dim, or do they just go out or cut in and out? I have 2 identical LaserDisc players and the front panel display of one of them is much, much brighter than the other. Can they they have an internal level/brightness adjustment to accommodate ageing?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2012, 20:00 
True fan
True fan

Wow, thanks for the tip. I've never done any soldering so I might hold back for a while. I don't use the thing much anyways as i don't really have that many ac3 discs as of yet. Hopefully I'll tackle this at some point and nip this in the bud.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2012, 19:38 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Well have you at least, you could take some small plastic sheet or plastic pen and press it against the front panel inside the unit to confirm the display might have dry joint, and when your confident enough you could solder the dry joints, or say "the hell with it" and buy another one on the cheap side. ;)

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 00:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Can anyone answer my question above?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 20:46 
yes the plasma display s will outgassed over time and wil be much dimmer and then segments will go out

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 22:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

this also happened on an old pinball i had, the digital numbers were very dim, so i had to get new
boards to solder in.
it was bright again, also i think now you can get different colors, i've seen stuff like that for synths.
changing the color from red to blue or green with replaced number boards.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 07:57 
I still collect pinball s that s how i know :)

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 11:48 
Honest fan
Honest fan

A quick question... i know this SDP-E800 processor doesn't decode DTS... bout would a DTS signal that is put into the digital input be outputted trough the Digital out, so that another receiver with DTS support can decode ?

If so, this little sony might be the perfect demodulator that has AC-3 RF decoding with DTS / AC-3 switching.
Just wondering, perhaps the digital in / out is just a throughput for any digital signal.
... and a whole lot of LD's

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 12:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserlord wrote:
A quick question... i know this SDP-E800 processor doesn't decode DTS... bout would a DTS signal that is put into the digital input be outputted trough the Digital out, so that another receiver with DTS support can decode ?

If so, this little sony might be the perfect demodulator that has AC-3 RF decoding with DTS / AC-3 switching.
Just wondering, perhaps the digital in / out is just a throughput for any digital signal.

My Sony SDP-EP9ES will do just what you are asking about, so I assume yours would too. As far as the Sony is concerned, the DTS stream is just a standard SPDIF digital audio bitstream, so it will pass it to the digital output untouched.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 13:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

thats great news, thanks for clarifying.

This is some useful info for all these dolby digital decoders that also provide a digital out.
... and a whole lot of LD's

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 04:58 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm wondering if this unit will output sound from the analog outputs as PCM stereo through the digital output? It likely doesn't but just thought I'd ask, that would mean one less analog hookup to the receiver.

Just found another post saying that it doesn't. Oh well.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next