It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:16

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Why is this worth so much?
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 00:29 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you’re watching a DIVX rip and the copy you own just sits on a shelf...35mm all the way. Even a “rare” Laserdisc is still 1000x more common than any original theatrical print. It’s also older, so more OG for that too. I would love to own an LD and the 35mm print they used to make it, if that was in any way verifiable. That would be better than owning Mickey’s XMas Carol on CED, LP, LD, DVD, for example (it just so happens this is me).

If you actually watch the stuff and you don’t have Laserbite’s weird home theater then it’s completeiy unworkable to go 35mm.

Recently I’ve been getting into Tamiya Mini 4WD and the variety in price is crazy. Oh, here’s a Lunchbox Jr for $90 and here it is for $12. I know where $12 came from, pretty close to original price, but $90? And the thing is, if you have more money than brains or patience then you’ll just believe it’s worth $90 and buy that one. If you’re some tool that thinks his collection is for getting rich off some day then the last thing you want to see is low prices. Buy high and sell higher. Bargains are for haters not players. :) “I’m going to double my money, so what I really want are the most expensive LDs I can find.” is what they think reality is. They think it’s like gold or oil where you just invest as heavily as possible because it’s all going to sell for more. You can see Christine on LD for $0.50 but I can’t retire on a dollar, so I better buy the $600 version of it.

The world has a lot of a holes in it, is what I’m saying. Some people just roll with it but others are like...”Man, if I worked hard, *I* could be the a hole!”

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 10:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

hahaha

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 03:26 
Serious fan
Serious fan

On the whole 35mm film thing, it is possible to pull it off at home for the determined. One would need a compact 35mm PJ like in this pic, as opposed to the 80 year old Simplex battleships with carbon arcs or the newer big PJs with big xenon lamps that are expensive (and would ruin your day if handled without protective gear: full face shield, gloves). The price on 35mm prints can be decent for offbeat stuff, but you will pay thousands for Star Wars on low fade stock.

I still regret not bidding on a 35mm Troma print of Totoro like a decade+ or so ago on eBay. It was pretty cheap, back before lots of the Ghibli recognition in the mainstream.

Attachments:
pj.jpg
pj.jpg [ 71.82 KiB | Viewed 1213 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 19:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

At one point I had around 120 35mm prints. I worked as a projectionist at the time and would come in on a weekend morning around 7 to run a print (with the boss' approval of course). We watched Star Trek II and a bunch of other great stuff. When I quit that job (because of the conversion to DLP), I didn't have a way to watch them any longer. My home isn't "compatible" with setting up a 35mm system, so I ended up selling off most of my library, which I now regret.

Back to the original topic, these early RCA/Columbia titles seem to command high prices because finding one with the jacket and OBI intact is hard to do. Jackets from Japan in the mid 80s have a tendency to develop brown spots, so if you can find a nice copy, people will sell a kidney for a copy (well, probably not a kidney).

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 07:49 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

LDDB is an amazing place. Everyone here is into something else in some deep way.

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2