It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:30

Page 3 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your experiences with Laser Rot
PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 05:51 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Sometimes you can, it is really nasty looking. It is like the metal has been eaten on the inside.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 05:57 
jamisonia wrote:
Okay I just popped one in that definitely has rot. Its Emmanuel. Sort of an off the wall title. I put it in and it immediately that tons of multi colored sparkles and sounded just awful. Got worse as that side went on. The other side has very minor rot. For some reason I thought you'd be able to see rot form on the outside of the disc, like black spots or something.

The rotters that I have seen, have not had any identifiable visual features on the disc. The worst one I own looks perfect from the outside.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 16:24 
That sucks, cause I have always looked at the discs when buying them at record stores. I guess I'm wasting my time.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 17:21 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well, it's still a good idea to inspect them for scratches, cracks, warp, & the like.

I've got a disc where the aluminum layer has gone transparent near the outer rim, but I've never noticed any playback problems. Note that it's about 45 minutes CLV, so there's plenty of distance between the last playback track & the rim.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 22:45 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The worst I have seen is the metal inside the disc is pitted and unplayable. I still have the disc. I will see if I can take some pics of it and upload it.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 05:19 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I've only got a handful of rotters and they're the usual suspects:

Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress
Heavy Metal
Aliens: Special Edition

There is one that I should probably report that I got for my mother:

Swan Lake: Royal Ballet - PA-82-018

There are a few others, but can't recall them right now.

The Aliens: Special Edition boxed set was made at two different facilities. My copy was made by Mitsubishi and plays perfectly. It appears that the Mitsubishi run was the smaller of the two, however you may be able to find a copy if you look hard enough.

STAY AWESOME! :)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 09:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The Disc rotters that I have had are as follows.
1) SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION : Bad picture and no sound.
2) STARSHIP TROOPERS : (US VERSION) Bad snowy picture and the sound was bad also.
3) PET DETECTIVE : Unwatchable and the sound was on it's way out.
4) FUGITIVE : Unwatchable picture and the sound was also on it's way out.

Such a shame I just hope my collection is ok but I shall just have to wait and see.

:wave:

Last edited by benmbe on 12 Apr 2012, 07:34, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 15:12 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
Well, it's still a good idea to inspect them for scratches, cracks, warp, & the like.

I've got a disc where the aluminum layer has gone transparent near the outer rim, but I've never noticed any playback problems. Note that it's about 45 minutes CLV, so there's plenty of distance between the last playback track & the rim.

I have a disc like that where the aluminum layer has black spots at the edges. Yet it plays fine. I guess the movie doesn't stretch all the way to the edge thankfully.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2011, 16:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

DiscoVision's rotted very early in the packaging, so if it's not rotted now, it won't rot. When I lived in New Mexico, I had virtually no problems with rot, even Sony DADC America titles were/are fine (I just played my DADC copy of Contact the other day and its still perfect). But now that I live in Missouri, with very high humidity, I've had some good discs rot, like my Japanese import 8-inch pressing of "Twist Of Fate" - it was perfect at first, now it's rotted. And I only bought it a year or so ago.

I have some early PAL discs that have turned a bronze color and have what look like coffee stains under the surface - they were clear and clean when new. I don't have a PAL player though, so I can't say if they would still play or not.

Rot always manifests itself as red & blue speckles. Black/White speckling is either tape master errors or pit defects due to a missing half-cycle of the FM carrier - that's a 'pressed in' or mastering defect and won't get worse. Snits (rolling black/white lines) are due to either surface dirt or dust/contaminates under the disc surface and are a pressing defect - and won't get worse.

Your ability to see any of the above defects depends on the frequency response of your player and television - and if you have a good comb filter. The better each is, the easier it is to see the defects. Also, some discs are just pressed 'noisy" and actually look best through a "Channel 3" RF input on a CRT set - the high frequency losses from the RF transmission make most pressing defects much less visible since RF is limited to only 330 lines horizontally and that's only if your set has a comb filter. If it's a notch filter set, then horizontal resolution will be around 3MHz, 260 lines or so. About VHD Video Disc quality.

Oh, and cleaning a disc with Windex won't hurt it a bit. I've done that for 30 years and never had a problem. Pioneer even officially recommended Windex or "Clean & Shine", which I don't think is made anymore.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2011, 02:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks for that post disclord...
Very informative.....
Glad to know about the windex !!!
Great thread here.......
Grateful to all !!!

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 04:34 
True fan
True fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I've only got a handful of rotters and they're the usual suspects:

Beauty and the Beast: Work in Progress
Heavy Metal
Aliens: Special Edition

There is one that I should probably report that I got for my mother:

Swan Lake: Royal Ballet - PA-82-018

There are a few others, but can't recall them right now.

On that Aliens: Special Edition be advised that it was manufactured at two different sites - Pioneer USA and Mitsubishi. My copy was made by Mitsubishi and plays perfectly. I'm not sure, but I believe from my own collecting experience that the Pioneer USA discs are more common.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 04:47 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I sent back over 150 CDs to Philips DuPont Optical (PDO) in the UK to get them repressed.
I also had problems with Warner Brother, EMI (UK) and Nimbus CDs.
The only company that refused to acknowledge their discs had a problem was EMI UK.

You mentioned PDO UK. I've had bad luck with their NTSC LaserDiscs (I don't have any PAL discs) developing huge brown spots caused by oxidation. Strangely I've never run across a non-PDO UK LD with this problem, although DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corporation) USA has made more than their fair share of discs with speckling.

Go to PDO UK for all of your oxidation needs. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 16:49 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

As a long-time collector, and now getting back into things via this site, I am truly disturbed by the sheer scale of the problem. Some of my fave LDs have succumbed to this and I know there's not much alternative on this format.

As far as I'm concerned, this problem mostly occurs on US NTSC discs. Thankfully, the pride of my collection, the Signature Collection, is rot-free. As are all my UK PAL discs, which have always had a better pic than run-of-the mill US discs.

I'm a collector, but an unwatchable disc is almost pointless to have. Not in terms of value, just in terms of personal worth.
Pioneer VSX-1011 receiver
Wharfedale Evo speakers

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2011, 23:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

That is why I rip my stuff to dvd and my computer. So in case something bad happens I have backup.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 15:45 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:
My father recounts horror stories of the bad LP pressings of the 1970s. Personally, my biggest problem with laser rot has been that one of the American anime publishers, AD Vision, used Sony DADC USA exclusively. So, while they didn't release nearly enough of their catalog on LD (so far as I am concerned), it's terribly difficult to find a clean copy of what they did release — & sometimes quite expensive, at least in the case of Battle Angle, which retains its value better than most anime LDs thanks to having been taken off the market a decade ago by James Cameron.

After reading this, I went back to a few of my ADV Laserdiscs to check them out. Battle Angel is thankfully rot-free. Gunsmith Cats 1 is looking good, but GS2 is showing some speckling.

I'll check my Evangelion, Golden Boy and Sukeban Deka LDs tonight.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2012, 06:12 
Aliens: Collectors Edition (CAV)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:32 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Laserdisc fans seem to think laserdisc rot can develop over time, it doesn't. It happens at the pressing stage and usually manifests itself within a few months. A year at the outset. It's impossible for it to develop later. The "usual suspects" are well documented and if you have a disc now and it plays fine, it'll stay fine. If it has laserdisc rot, it's been there since day one. Minor speckles are not rot but either faults on the original pressing or inclusion. If you have a laserdisc with laserdisc rot, it's simply unplayable.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2012, 04:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Yep, you are correct. If your disc has not got rot, it will never get it. If it has rot it will just get worse. Rot does not occur over time. It either has it or not.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 15:27 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Having bought many second hand collections over the years (in order to cherry pick titles to build my own collection), i've come across all of the usual suspects. Most of them were pressed at the dreaded SONY DADC US plant. I'm a serial Sony hater to this day, just because of the way they handled (or didnt, as the case may be) a replacement / return scheme for defective discs. i.e. - they didn't. No company would be allowed to practice in this way today, so goodness knows how they got away with it 15 or so years ago.

I've never found a decent copy of a US pressing of Eraser or Starship Troopers, for example - and i've gone through dozens. Luckily, there's usually an exceptional Japanese pressing of the same title available, as is the case with these two.

In fact, the only Japanese rotters I have had are a very small number of early Pioneer pressings, way fewer than my US discs. Sadly, the US rot figures are usually artificially bumped up by the crappy DADC discs. All of my late (1995+) Japanese discs have been exceptional quality.

The 'coffee staining' that some people mention has also manifested itself on my PDO UK PAL pressings - it's quite common for some of the early PAL laservision discs to turn bronze in colour over their lifetime - some play absolutely fine.

None of my discs have developed rot on the shelf - like others, if it had rot when I bought it, it still has - but none seemed to have developed it during my ownership. Let's hope it stays that way! I'm sure it will.

All the best.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 17:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Talking eraser, i found sofar only one perfect copy without laserrot at all, infact a hint how to make sure you got a good copy: look at the marking a good copy has A118 and B77 a bad copy has very low numbers A2 and B3; sofar many many bad copies all having low numbers

Page 3 of 9 [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next