It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:11

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: How much would you pay
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 17:57 
Hi just that what would you pay for your most wanted laserdisc someone according to the lddb paid $2000 for u-571 and $1500 for the 6th day in my opinion two bloody awful films That i would only pay a couple of pounds for no way i would pay such crazy prices :thumbdown:

Post subject: Re: How much would you pay
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 18:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Agree, they're crazy prices all right.
But I can't blame anyone for trying ;)
Always had my doubts about the prices they fetch but since there's a fee involved selling on lddb I guess it would be sold for that amount. would hate to be the buyer at that price however :shh:
I got my U-571 copy mint with obi for about 75euro. couldn't let that one go for such a price. Picked it up nearby. I like the movie but it's not Das Boot :thumbup:
MI-2 I got for 150 euro no obi but mint from ebay. great cover, great sound but :thumbdown: moviewise that is.
Would love to own the 6th day as a last "rare" copy but moviewise to me :thumbdown: 125euro is my best offer for that one.
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 18:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

To me, I have to actually like or respect the movie on some level. The fact that its rare is totally meaningless unless I was going for the movie anyway. The only situation I can see myself in where I would even allow crap like MI:2 in my house would be if I was so loaded that I was literally going for EVERY SINGLE LD EVER RELEASED. Other than that, I can't imagine why in the world I would ever want garbage movies like this. Why are late period releases interesting to people? Why do they want garbage so badly? Is if that they don't even enjoy movies at all actually, and they are just collecting whatever is the most valuable out of lack of true passion? I mean, if you have 6th day, do you also have all the Criterion releases? All the Pioneer Special Editions? All the Disney stuff?

Really getting "all" of anything is pretty stupid too. I mean, Criterion is great and all, but they also gave their treatment to stuff that just flat out didn't deserve it (Armageddon?!?) but you see my point.

The one disc I would pay the most for is Daicon III & IV: Opening Animation (1988) [DCF-1]. They probably made a lot more copies of this than the final films that saw LD releases, but to old school anime fans this thing is incredibly significant. It encapsulates the essence of 80s scifi and anime fandom and its never been released on any other format (except for a VHS from the same time). There has never been anything like it, and there never will be because the situation that created this short film has long passed. I would pay, realistically, considering my current fiscal situation, $600 for a known good copy, $250 for a rotter. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any other single disc releases that I would pay even 1/4 that much for. That's the only one. I would like a copy of Five Star Stories: The Movie (1989) [TLL 2153], which used to be a $500 disc, but I think the DVD released sent the value of the LD well below $100.

There are a few sets I would pay a couple hundred for, like Syd Mead: Kronolog (1991) [MEAD-1] (far more than just an LD) Touch (1985) [VLI-87286~311], and probably the Gatchaman TV series, some other stuff. All that stuff cost hundreds of dollars to begin with though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 18:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I think you should see it like this:

how many work hours are you prepared to sacrifice for a ld. I would pay 1-3 work days for 6th day = 300-500 usd.

If I would make 500 usd/day I woudlnt have a problem with paying 1500 usd for the title I want =)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 19:27 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

signofzeta wrote:
To me, I have to actually like or respect the movie on some level. The fact that its rare is totally meaningless unless I was going for the movie anyway. The only situation I can see myself in where I would even allow crap like MI:2 in my house would be if I was so loaded that I was literally going for EVERY SINGLE LD EVER RELEASED. Other than that, I can't imagine why in the world I would ever want garbage movies like this. Why are late period releases interesting to people? Why do they want garbage so badly? Is if that they are just collecting whatever is the most valuable out I mean, if you have 6th day, do you also have all the Criterion releases? All the Pioneer Special Editions? All the Disney stuff?

Really getting "all" of anything is pretty stupid too. I mean, Criterion is great and all, but they also gave their treatment to stuff that just flat out didn't deserve it (Armageddon?!?) but you see my point.

The one disc I would pay the most for is Daicon III & IV: Opening Animation (1988) [DCF-1]. They probably made a lot more copies of this than the final films that saw LD releases, but to old school anime fans this thing is incredibly significant. It encapsulates the essence of 80s scifi and anime fandom and its never been released on any other format (except for a VHS from the same time). There has never been anything like it, and there never will be because the situation that created this short film has long passed. I would pay, realistically, considering my current fiscal situation, $600 for a known good copy, $250 for a rotter. Something like that.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any other single disc releases that I would pay even 1/4 that much for. That's the only one. I would like a copy of Five Star Stories: The Movie (1989) [TLL 2153], which used to be a $500 disc, but I think the DVD released sent the value of the LD well below $100.

There are a few sets I would pay a couple hundred for, like Syd Mead: Kronolog (1991) [MEAD-1] (far more than just an LD) Touch (1985) [VLI-87286~311], and probably the Gatchaman TV series, some other stuff. All that stuff cost hundreds of dollars to begin with though.

they don't even enjoy movies at all actually, and of lack of true passion?

I'm not after all last releases. I don't like X-men so I sold it. Does this make me a barbarian I wonder? :wtf:
To each his own.
Safe to say it's nice to own a last release or even a first release...
Spending money? No problem with that as long as you're happy with it.

Endless discussion for sure on what is worth how much...
I own every ntsc dts title except the demo ones ... some I overpayed, some I got almost for free. this proves I'm not after every single disc.
I'm not saying because it's a late release it's a great movie, I'm saying it's nice to own what you like

But I hear you,
No offence ;)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2013, 20:05 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I can't see myself paying more than US$100 for a single movie these days. Maybe more for a box set, but I'm just not that much of a "collector" per se to spend that much money on a movie.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 06:26 
True fan
True fan

Rita Mitsouko: 8 clips et 2 films (1995) [491 435 1] PAL

Would love to find this LD. Have the promos off of the DVD release, I replaced the sound with LPCM.
But these films which I have off of an old VHS dub are what I want. If I don't find this LD in a few years I'll go find a high quality VHS tape.

Elvis

P.S. Meanwhile I'll be fishing. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 07:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The 6th Day is underrated. A really entertaining well made film. Much better then say: End of Days.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 08:38 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

alien wrote:
The 6th Day is underrated. A really entertaining well made film. Much better then say: End of Days.

It's like Blade Runner versus Robocop up in here!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 10:06 
alien wrote:

Hi yes End of days is terrible but it's the reason i asked what would people pay why pay a small fortune for crap just because its the last American Ac3 release i can't relate to that kind of collector

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 18:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gunsnroses1972 wrote:
alien wrote:

Hi yes End of days is terrible but it's the reason i asked what would people pay why pay a small fortune for crap just because its the last American Ac3 release i can't relate to that kind of collector

Because they don't know how else to do it.

A true movie fan says, "I Love Dr. Strangelove, I'm going to get all the Kubrick stuff, even if some of it is junky". Kubrick, Godzilla, Star Wars, Bergman, Wells, Miyazaki, Woody Allen, Kamen Rider, Bugs Bunny, movies based on Phillip K Dick stories, scenery discs, Beatles related, Formula 1, whatever.

For people who simply aren't emotionally moved by the actual contents of the movie but still want to hoard crap like any other human, they have to find some other, easily definable category to focus their efforts on. DTS or AC3 are pretty good since that stuff is plainly written on the jacket. No need to fall in love with the movie, or understand the movie, or even watch it, or even OPEN the thing. Its written right there on the back of the package!

"Does it say DTS? Then yes, I want it. No, I've never seen the movie, and I don't care that is stars Jennifer Aniston and has a %12 rating on rotten tomatoes and sits in the $1 DVD bin at Walmart. I want it. Here is $300".

If someone used to work at Sony or in the theater business or their dad invented DTS or something, then I guess there is some emotion there, but otherwise these people should really be collecting stamps if all they want to do is tick boxes. I mean, if you have 5000 LDs and are polishing off the DTS then..I guess that's less crazy, but I've actually seen guys who describe their collection as "mostly DTS" which is...depressing. "Mostly Hollywood garbage released during a two year timespan" is more like it.

And IMO it harmless, if borderline autistic, because when these guys get in a bidding war over late period releases they are, most of the time, only jacking up the price on garbage. I mean, I *want* to buy DTS LDs, in theory, but the selection of titles in pretty terrible. Besides, i can't tell the difference between AC3 and DTS with my mediocre speakers anyway so I'll stick to AC3 since the selection is much much better.

Ideas for abstract collecting schemes:

LDs that span three sides with the first side being CAV and sides 2 and 3 being CLV.

LDs where the isolated music or commentary are split between the L and R channels even though the disc has digital sound.

Movies about choo choo trains. - Idea rejected for being too emotional and human.

LDs that came in digipacks.

LD singles released in the month of March.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 01:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gunsnroses1972 wrote:
alien wrote:

I think signofzeta goes a long way to explaining it. I myself would never buy End of Days on LD even if it was one of the latter releases because I dislike the film. I do however enjoy The 6th Day which indecently happens to be even rarer and later released, but even then I wouldn't drain my wallet for it, although I'd love to own it for a decent price on LD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]