It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:49

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: E.T. (1982) [40925]
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 12:16 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

E.T. (1982) [40925]

Arrived today the film that held the highest box office recoded for 15 years and "the story that touched the world", easily scores high.

I read this last week when I bought it and kept in mind to reversing the Lt-Rt channels on the laserdisc player. But I know the mix all too well having watched twice in 70mm Dolby Stereo and countless times on VHS Hi-Fi once with the walkie-talkies at the cinema in SR-D and on DVD multi DVD with so, so original Dolby mix only they used the new sound effects on the theatrical DVD. Not sure about the bluray if that is totally original 1982 mix?

Well as for the channels reversed so far disc 1 side (1) seems to be (not reversed they are normal).

Picture quality looks smashingly great I was expecting something poor, but WOW it looks wonderful for this W/S CAV pressing. Colours are exact contrast looks nice. Dark shadows in the mist outside as Elliot waits for what ever it is remains clear.

The opening starts off with E.T. and others exploring a forest,not too long before government agents show up and the E.T. is scarred off and goes on the run with thrilling heart-pacing score and the mysterious close up of the "Keys" even still makes me scared off him, as to what he would do if he caught E.T.?

E.T. growling purring away like a cat when Elliot has E.T. in the bedroom with John Williams masterful score makes me smile. :)

Disc 1 Side (2) sound remains normal no switching of the Lt-Rt needed.

Its sweet when Elliot, shows E.T. star wars toys, fish, peanut and car and E.T. being curious tries to eat the car. Its a sweet adorable film.

Its funny the dog Harvey sneezing as he watches the creature E.T. raid the fridge. YUCK to the potato salad, toss that one for the dog. OH! This looks interesting. HISS open the can sip, glug, glug, glug down with them.

E.T. after reading a comic of Buck Rogers and watching a tv ad on telephoning soon susses out he must make a radio to contact or "E.T. phone home". :)

The scene with the frogs at school and E.T. watching a John Wayne film, and the scenes cutting back from tv to school and then Elliot, kissing the girl with tv sound score and John Williams rising score that expands outwards in wonderfulness makes me cry. :)

Disc 2 Side (3)

Sound remains in normal.

Gertie, soon teaches E.T. language "B" "B good"

Chapter 11 is absolutely brilliant as Elliott and E.T. drop off the side of cliff with gut-wrenching bass mid kick to the chest Yes loud the score just gets better and better as the film plays on. :)

There is a noticeable mild phase-out off the Lt-RT with centre + slightly leaking into the surrounds.

Trying to figure out how to get a decent camera capture as one mode on the camera washed out the details on the moon with too much brightness. So I tried another mode but its added some noise lines I'll try another one later or maybe give it another spin on the projector.

Disc 2 Side (4)

No reverse of soundtrack all remains normal the mild out of phase seems to have restored to normal on side (4).

Disc 3 Side (5)

Huh, the first laserdisc I have with white plastic blank side.

The score takes charge again with John Williams and the orchestra beating out.

Tissues! Tissues!

Supplementary small bonus extras

Lots of pictures.

I'd like to get hold of this pressing next.

E.T.: Limited Edition (1982) [42734]

Followed by this pressing with isolated score.
E.T.: Special Collection (1982) [PILF-2480]

Picture
ImageImageImageImageImage

Dolby Stereo

Why is this only rated 7.9 on IMDB? Should be easily a 10.0.

Film

Post subject: Re: E.T. (1982) [40925]
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 16:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserbite34 wrote:

Huh, the first laserdisc I have with white plastic blank side.

i have a copy of REFERENCE RECORDINGS' "A VIDEO STANDARD" (LD-101) NTSC test/calibration disc that i found at a thrift a few years back.
only disc i have to date with such a side blank;

Post subject: Re: E.T. (1982) [40925]
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 01:58 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Interesting thou but I also have another laserdisc that is only for Educational Learning only CAV disc that worked on speical laserdisc players? Sony ones from the 80's with special touch screen monitor.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]