It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:09

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sellers charging wayyyy to much for shipping..
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 01:35 
True fan
True fan

Shipping LDs from the States to the UK used to be fairly cheap 10 to 15 years ago. Course with each single disc title the weight can be up to a pound. And shipping over 2kgs the price shoots up. Now you see a LD on eBay and the price is a few dollars but the shipping is nearly $20.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 19:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

daro2096 wrote:
Shipping LDs from the States to the UK used to be fairly cheap 10 to 15 years ago. Course with each single disc title the weight can be up to a pound. And shipping over 2kgs the price shoots up. Now you see a LD on eBay and the price is a few dollars but the shipping is nearly $20.

Unless you have a special bulk account, cheapest shipping from the US to the UK is ~$23.00. Blame the USPS for taking away surface mail. Of course, if you could get it so that no dimension is over 12 inches, I think you can ship it cheaper. I don't think anybody here wants a regular, non-8 inch disc to be under 12 inches though :)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:55 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

shinchan wrote:
Unless you have a special bulk account, cheapest shipping from the US to the UK is ~$23.00. Blame the USPS for taking away surface mail. Of course, if you could get it so that no dimension is over 12 inches, I think you can ship it cheaper. I don't think anybody here wants a regular, non-8 inch disc to be under 12 inches though :)

It's pretty much uneconomic to buy cheap titles from USA if you reside abroad these days because the shipping will always outweigh the cost of the disc. The title has to be something really special to justify the purchase.

Approximately a quarter of my collection came from USA and luckily I bought most back in 2006-7 when surface mail still existed.
The lions share of my collection came from Japan where shipping costs haven't changed so much over the last decade.
I literally couldn't afford to assemble the collection I now own as the shipping alone would run to about $200,000 today.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 01:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, this is an issue with the post office or mailing services.
I've had a lot of lost sales with all types of items all over the world due to shipping rates.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 16:43 
True fan
True fan

I noticed lately on ebay when requesting an invoice for combined shipping the request gets canceled with a message saying the seller has disabled all shipping discounts, this happens on every multiple purchase I've made in the last few months, most of the time I can still get combined shipping but I need to send a message to the seller rather then use the invoice feature. I find this frustrating since the invoice feature was pretty streamlined and I never had issues before, I'm beginning to wonder if this is a bug with ebay as a lot of strange things have been happening lately ..

Has anyone else been having issues with shipping invoice?

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 17:56 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Haven't had that issue, but I did have a funny one today.
Sold a book for 4 bucks and the buyer didn't see that I didn't offer free shipping, he then asked me to just ship it for 3.99 and offer free shipping since he could have bought this same book from other sellers who offer free shipping.

:eh:

I told him that I was not Walmart and I couldn't offer free shipping as it would cost me the same price as I sold the book.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 23:01 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have seen this too, you cannot request combined shipping at all, and have to message the seller instead.
And I have no idea why this is happening on some auctions, but not on others...

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 13:07 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I have experienced this as well.
It doesn't appear to be country specific either.

I've had it happen recently when buying several items from US, Germany, France on Ebay etc.
It's really putting me off Ebay.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 16:27 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I want to add that I haven't had the time to figure out how to combine shipping other than sending the corrected invoice.
Part of the reason is that I don't always sell the same sized items and can't do a regular combined shipping for LDs and then lets say a guitar.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 21:25 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Most of the time when I was selling on Ebay I listed shipping as FREE and simply factored a tracked airmail service into the overall price as I was listing Buy It Now items. This allowed for faster simpler shipping worldwide although it did mean sometimes I was over or under charging.

I honestly wonder how some sellers on Amazon make any money at all charging 0.01p for a CD with shipping fixed at £1.26 no matter how far it has to travel.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 00:56 
True fan
True fan

Now that I think about it the only thing I've ever asked for combined shipping was LDs, I try to buy 2-4 LDs at a time from a given seller since I feel it's more economical for me and the seller (the sellers I talked to seemed to agree on this).

Of course there are certain things that just can't be combined, like the guitar and LD for example, I'm not even sure I would want those to be shipped together... though I suppose it could be done...

I admit I don't know how the system works since I've sold very little myself and never combined anything, if I recall there is a checkbox for shipping discounts But I can't remember exactly, the last thing I sold I put free shipping also and just added the shipping cost to the price. Probably didn't make as much but at least it sold.

I do remember buying one book very cheap from ebay it was like under 4 dollars shipped, when I got it I looked at the postage and I think it was actually higher then what I payed.... :shock:

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 13:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Haven't had that issue, but I did have a funny one today.
Sold a book for 4 bucks and the buyer didn't see that I didn't offer free shipping, he then asked me to just ship it for 3.99 and offer free shipping since he could have bought this same book from other sellers who offer free shipping.

:eh:

I told him that I was not Walmart and I couldn't offer free shipping as it would cost me the same price as I sold the book.

Funny how some people don't pay attention, he should have just bought one of those listings if that was the price he was looking to pay. As an occasional seller I have received cancellation requests for an order ranging from drunk, child ordered it to my friend is letting me borrow the movie now instead. :lol: As a buyer I have had sellers try to extort more money from me because they weren't happy with the ending price of the auction or didn't list shipping high enough.

So about the combined shipping thing, the seller has to set it up. The good sellers now will have it set-up so that you simply add the items to your eBay cart, and it will apply shipping discounts. Or they will just bake in the costs and have "free" shipping on each item. Really depends on what they are selling.

Anyway why I actually opened this thread: I was interested in an LD set on eBay but the seller only has expedited shipping listed. I sent them a nice message about media mail days ago, but have been completely ignored.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 03:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I know this problem, I've only bought four discs so far and the shipping nearly always doubles the actual cost of the discs I'm buying.

I would love to buy from within Europe when possible, but sometimes, the disc you want is in significantly better condition from a US seller than an European one, which could be a dealbreaker to you.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 09:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Shipping from the US is amazing, it's the only country where the more discs you ship from it, the MORE expensive it becomes to ship each disc! Incredible!

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 14:11 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Shipping from the US is amazing, it's the only country where the more discs you ship from it, the MORE expensive it becomes to ship each disc! Incredible!

I know, one disc is about 1 pound and then if you ship 2 discs it comes out to 2 pounds :crazy:

I can't figure why the post office here in the USA won't charge less weight for 2 or more discs, it keeps going up, even a double disc set
once packed is slightly over 2 pounds :sick:

Then if you get a single and double disc it would be 3 pounds and the USPS just doesn't get it at all.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 14:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

forper wrote:

The pricing appeared to change a few years ago & it was a rather big hike in the costs.

I have not bought any LDs from the US for quite a while (years) & heavier items are out of the question unless it is very cheap to buy but even then the post cost can kill it.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 15:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

je280 wrote:
forper wrote:

The pricing appeared to change a few years ago & it was a rather big hike in the costs.

I have not bought any LDs from the US for quite a while (years) & heavier items are out of the question unless it is very cheap to buy but even then the post cost can kill it.

This is correct. International rates have sky rocketed and continue to go up every year. I sent about 10 PS3/4 games to an old friend in Australia last year, some were even just loose discs and I paid over $50. He sent me some rare dvd sets in exchange that he found for me and shipping was only like ~$23 from his end. For about the same package weight.

Even rates within the US are creeping up. I was sending out a 1 pound package to California today. Getting it to the one pound rate instead of 2 was a $3 difference. Also the baseline firstclass rate online creeping up is going to hurt the margins of cheap dvd/cd/bd sellers. That or they will switch to DHL if they haven't already...

rein-o wrote:
forper wrote:

I know, one disc is about 1 pound and then if you ship 2 discs it comes out to 2 pounds :crazy:

I can't figure why the post office here in the USA won't charge less weight for 2 or more discs, it keeps going up, even a double disc set
once packed is slightly over 2 pounds :sick:

Then if you get a single and double disc it would be 3 pounds and the USPS just doesn't get it at all.

All I can say is at least LDs are shippable via media mail. Otherwise it would be quite obnoxious to get a single movie.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 16:32 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

All the shipping costs in the USA to USA have gone up also.
Buying larger items now is very expensive, sometimes its a 1-1 price.
Just sold something for 30 bucks and it will be 36 to ship half way across America, go figure.

Prices never go down, they always go UP UP UP UP And AWAY

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 18:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

A while ago I looked up someone selling Star Wars slide holders on ebay - for slides that came with some of the toys in the 90's. It was a mail-in accessory, but it's really just one of these with a cardboard cover inside a sleeve.

But the shipping to Europe is 40 dollars for some reason! It's just a plastic pocket for photo slides! Is he shipping it in a lead box!?

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 22:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
A while ago I looked up someone selling Star Wars slide holders on ebay - for slides that came with some of the toys in the 90's. It was a mail-in accessory, but it's really just one of these with a cardboard cover inside a sleeve.

But the shipping to Europe is 40 dollars for some reason! It's just a plastic pocket for photo slides! Is he shipping it in a lead box!?

You can always contact usps.com and find out why its so much, or ask the seller to find out why its so much.
Could be that the seller has lost too much stuff with air mail and insists on sending it priority or express so they are covered.

All depends on the buyers and sellers.
Shipping is never free, as stated before, some may list for free but they add that into the listing price.

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next