It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 06:24

Page 10 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Do any of you guys collect video games?
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 00:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
teddanson wrote:
I've a PS4 Pro I've hardly touched but don't want to move it on as I have Battle Garrega and Darius Burst CS limited editions for it...

Run -don't walk- and go get yourself DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS I and II.

they are both penultimate gaming experiences that are not to me missed. Seriously, trust me on this one...

These games are a lot like Minecraft and in a way Animal Crossing. I understand why people enjoy them but it's not for me.

signofzeta wrote:
rcarlson wrote:
Don't forget 16-bit-style games (sprite-based, more tiles than polygons) on 32-bit machines. I'll never get tired of Suikoden II.

That makes sense in theory but it just doesn’t work for me. As soon as you introduce “checking memory card...” prompts and 15 second load times not to mention unreliable hardware, it’s not the same. I want to be able to switch the thing on and be in-game in less than ten seconds. I want to be killed or beat the game in a half hour or so. I need a no BS point to point path to fun every time.

My favorite stuff is arcade, where all you do is plug the game in...and it’s up and running. Nobody can pause it or configure the controls. Perfection.

I have a Switch. It’s nice, but if it ever asks me to log in or anything I usually put it back on the charger. The time it takes me to reset a password or update a payment method could be used to whip someone’s a** in KOF 98.

I tend to like longer games (though technically you can beat Dark Souls in under an hour pretty easily) but arcade style games are definitely awesome. Love some neo geo with friends.

Fwiw in my experience the earlier model PS1s all break but the PSOne model is quite reliable.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 02:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I like games that are long because they actually have that much content, not just artificially making them insanely difficult and forcing you to go through the same thing over and over.

The original Unreal for example takes a long time to finish because the maps are freakin' massive and there's quite a few of them.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 15:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like my RPGs 15-40 hours long.

From Panzer Azel to Mother 3, basically. None of that late period Dragon Quest for me.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 21:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

From Panzer Azel to Mother 3, basically. None of that late period Dragon Quest for me.

Yeah 30-40 hours is the sweet spot. Shorter would be fine I just don't remember too many that are sub 20. Outside of tactical ones, those are usually in that range.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2021, 22:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Yeah 30-40 hours is the sweet spot. Shorter would be fine I just don't remember too many that are sub 20. Outside of tactical ones, those are usually in that range.

There are a few multi-media heavy RPGs from the 90s that are short. Azel is about 15, I think. Ys I&II can be done pretty quickly although I've cleared it so many times now I'm not sure what the length is supposed to be anymore...

I like Final Fantasy VI a lot and it was long but it made sense being that long. Those Tales games though...geez...everything is beautiful but somehow totally uninteresting and they are like 60 hours and its all inane boring high school drama crap. I can't finish one. The last FF I did was IX, which was pretty good, but I simply lost interest in the state of the art by then.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 00:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't really count action rpgs (like Ys and especially the earlier titles) in the same vein. Those are definitely shorter though they bloated Ys VIII with pointless crap. Book 1/2 a normal play time is probably 12-15 hours. Of course once you know the game, about an hour is possible.

The problem with the Tales games imo is they always have that spot where it feels like the game should be ending but somehow there ends up being another 15 or w/e hours...

I loved the PS1 era titles, those were the right length and I had no issue with them.

One that I loved on the Wii was The Last Story. A buddy of mine that loves arcade type games and basically never beats anything new finished that one of all games. I'm looking forward to playing Pandora's Tower and Fragile Dreams in particular. Got those coming. All three of these titles are all still Wii only somehow. I mean there is always Dolphin but you know what I mean.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 21:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Some random thoughts on games...

Red Steel: cheesy as hell, but reminded me there was a time Ubisoft used to make games outside of their generic formula. Fun arcade feeling game but very heavy on motion controls.

De Blob: This is on other consoles be feels at home on the Wii. Very Nintendo feeling game with lots of color.

Help Wanted 50 Wacky Jobs: Enjoying this far more than I should. One of Hudson's last hurrahs. Basically it's a bunch of mini games that you play to get money to buy things which unlock new jobs but also give you points for special items to stop a meteor from hitting the earth. LOL.

Doctor Fizzwhizzle's Animal Rescue: Fun little break out type game.

Not sure these last two have any documented clears, so I am in uncharted waters here. My Wii died in the middle of one so I had to move to Wii U and I will have to move over save data when I replace it.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 05:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
I don't really count action rpgs (like Ys and especially the earlier titles) in the same vein. Those are definitely shorter though they bloated Ys VIII with pointless crap. Book 1/2 a normal play time is probably 12-15 hours. Of course once you know the game, about an hour is possible.

The problem with the Tales games imo is they always have that spot where it feels like the game should be ending but somehow there ends up being another 15 or w/e hours...

I loved the PS1 era titles, those were the right length and I had no issue with them.

One that I loved on the Wii was The Last Story. A buddy of mine that loves arcade type games and basically never beats anything new finished that one of all games. I'm looking forward to playing Pandora's Tower and Fragile Dreams in particular. Got those coming. All three of these titles are all still Wii only somehow. I mean there is always Dolphin but you know what I mean.

Is that the NA release you're getting? Because it has a game breaking bug, it can sometimes be avoided but the workaround isn't 100% guaranteed afaik.
The Japanese and PAL releases are bug free, PAL release is 50/60Hz so for emulation there's no reason to use the NA version.
It's an odd scenario as the NA version was released last after the other regions iirc.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 23:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You can work around it but it I suppose I should play the PAL version.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2021, 09:51 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:
You can work around it but it I suppose I should play the PAL version.

I have the physical PAL version myself but it isn't a cheap game (well not uber expensive I guess).
Luckily I didn't pay anywhere near market value for it, usual scenario for titles I want for my collection but not nuts about acquiring.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2021, 08:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

lucky that, Deadlegion. You're so lucky.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2021, 10:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
lucky that, Deadlegion. You're so lucky.

Wow, I thought you disappeared for good. I hope you are doing OK.

To answer the original question I used to collect a lot of video games in the 90s as a teenager and I still have some of them in my collection.
I had a 3DO when it came out in 1994/95. Very few people had one back in the days when it came out and FIFA Soccer looked brilliant on it as did
Wing Commander III ( what a fantastic game ). My friends who at that time were still playing SNES games mostly couldn't believe their eyes
when they saw Wing Commander III. The 3DO was a nice console and Theme Park is a very nice port, too, but, unfortunately, it eventually turned
out to be a huge failure.

The last console I bought was an XBox Series S that does not even play physical copies. I have an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription that costs me
approximately 10 € a month with access to a range of excellent titles such as Forza 4 or 5. Initially, I was thinking of buying a PS5 but since it was impossible to get one I bought an Xbox
Series S instead for 200 € less. It is an excellent console for that price and I like the Xbox Game Pass model much better than Sony's Playstation Plus
offer that I also use on my PS4. I am happy that I bought an Xbox but I rarely play it as I simply work too hard and simply do not have time for it. I mostly
watch a film after work and then go to bed.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2021, 13:45 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I wouldn't necessarily say DL is lucky. If what you want to do it get deals on video games it is easy enough to do that. Network, make friends and what not. I have a group where the first people we check with if we are getting rid of anything is each other and of course we give each other deals. Give and take.

Back then I did not know anyone that had a 3D0 or CDI for that matter. It was all about Nintendo and sometimes Sony.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2021, 18:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

confederate wrote:
I had a 3DO when it came out in 1994/95...

i remember when my local WAL-MART had 3DO on closeout around the mid-90's or so, like $5.00 per game, or thereabouts.

a few years back, i found a PANASONIC FZ-1 3DO bare console at my GOODWILL for a couple of bucks in non-functional state.

got it home, popped 'er open, found a shattered CD inside. cleaned it up, lubed it, hooked it up, and, -far as i can tell without the controller-
it spooled up an Audio CD ready to play.

that said, while i like owning a 3DO for the sheer sake of it,
i just don't know if i'll ever be inspired enough to want to go out of my way to acquire a controller and game...

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2021, 20:47 
First post
First post

I play and collect, however, to keep it in check, I've had to narrow it down, for space reasons, and for making the collection nicer, higher quality, and more organized. I used to collect just about anything gaming related, then Nintendo stuff only, then only SNES and NES, now only NES (including memorabilia, magazines plus of course the games).

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 05:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I considered buying a CD-i player a month or two back but eventually decided against it as I didn't want to deal with that whole suicide battery nonsense.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 07:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

takeshi666 wrote:
I considered buying a CD-i player a month or two back but eventually decided against it as I didn't want to deal with that whole suicide battery nonsense.

I had 3 different units and barely played it. its more of a curiosity than something say like the Saturn which I love dearly and want more games for and play a lot. I don't think it was worth it when it even came out to begin with.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 11:26 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It sucks. The CDI always totally sucks, sucked, and will suck.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2021, 13:49 
True fan
True fan

Retro systems I collect for:

Nintendo 64
Original Xbox
Dreamcast
PS one
PSP
DS
GB & GBA

Current system:

Xbox one S

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2021, 03:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
It sucks. The CDI always totally sucks, sucked, and will suck.

A huge pile of massive suck.

I've started really buying Japanese PS1 games lately. The money spent to fun ratio is pretty good. Lots of super fun stuff for $30 or less.

Page 10 of 14 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next