It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:06

Page 2 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 13:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Currently watching State of the Art of Computer Animation. It's the later DADC pressing but doesn't appear to have any rot as far as I can tell; any faults I've seen might as well be in the source material. What is annoying however is that the disc has no chapter stops whatsoever, despite them being listed on the back of the sleeve, in addition to them being wrong anyway; the video listed as chapter 27 on side 2 is actually at the beginning of side 1.

It's especially egregious on a disc like this where you're much more likely to play a specific segment rather than sit through the whole thing every time.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 11:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I just watch Minako Honda in Budokan over and over these days. Can't get enough...need her other LDs..

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 16:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Got these different blu-ray releases of Lucio Fulci's Zombie/Zombi 2/Zombie Flesh Eaters

Analyzing the different transfers, as I also have the Media Blasters Zombi 2 25th Anniversary 2-Disc DVD Edition, the Roan Group WS Zombie Laserdisc and Magnum Video's Zombie P&S Laserdisc

It's amazing how different they all are. The Roan Group LD was the first widescreen release of the film in North America ever and was culled from a 35mm print. The DVD and blu-rays were all culled from the original negatives with the Blue Underground blu-ray transfer reportedly supervised by original cinematographer Sergio Salvati.

Despite that the Arrow version looks best, but you wonder now that there's ballyhoo about the "blue tinge" that some movies were supposed to have with their original theatrical releases. The Roan Group LD definitely has a blue tinge, and since it was taken from a print, you have to ask . . . is that the way the movie was supposed to look?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 18:41 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The last jedi - not only a bad Star Wars movie, it’s a bad movie period.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 05:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

substance wrote:

Agreed => it was giving a giant middle finger to the Star Wars universe/fan base.

Having no plan to rewatch it after seeing it once in the theaters, waste of precious life time.
It makes re-watching "Force Awakens" sad to watch because they had setup the beginning of something possibly good there.

Maybe it will end up like Episode 2? You can watch Episode 1 and roughly move straight to Episode 3, you're not missing much.

Julien

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 06:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Showed my son Excalibur by John Boorman for the first time in his life.
Really enjoyed this most excellent movie on glorious LaserDisc !

Also viewed Kundun .... My son enjoyed this movie as well.

Planning on Conan the Barbarian this weekend for his first time as well.

Cheers to the membership !

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 10:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
substance wrote:

Agreed => it was giving a giant middle finger to the Star Wars universe/fan base.

Having no plan to rewatch it after seeing it once in the theaters, waste of precious life time.
It makes re-watching "Force Awakens" sad to watch because they had setup the beginning of something possibly good there.

Maybe it will end up like Episode 2? You can watch Episode 1 and roughly move straight to Episode 3, you're not missing much.

Julien

Yeah I mean the whole movie was an excuse to preach feminism. All the male characters were either evil or dumb. Just make a good damn Star Wars movie, why so political and preachy? :crazy:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 07:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Yeah I mean the whole movie was an excuse to preach feminism. All the male characters were either evil or dumb. Just make a good damn Star Wars movie, why so political and preachy? :crazy:

On the contrary, I thought it was quite egalitarian - the female characters were all evil or dumb, too :mrgreen:

Rey is a Mary Sue, Rose is an annoying twat, Holdo is an idiot, and Phasma is the most overhyped character since Darth Maul who at least had some cool fight scenes while Phasma gets nothing.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 08:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:

On the contrary, I thought it was quite egalitarian - the female characters were all evil or dumb, too :mrgreen:

Rey is a Mary Sue, Rose is an annoying twat, Holdo is an idiot, and Phasma is the most overhyped character since Darth Maul who at least had some cool fight scenes while Phasma gets nothing.

Did you see the same movie?

Rey kicked a** of course.

Rose saved her dumb a** boyfriend over and over.

Holdo's plan ended up being the best plan plus she heroicly sacraficed herself as part of it.

The guy who questioned it led a failed bombing raid early in the movie in which a female bomber crew heroicly triumphed despite his idiotic (male!) plan.

Phasma was actually bad. But not stupid.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 16:34 
True fan
True fan

The other day I put in Walkabout Criterion edition, was really enjoying the film and soundtrack, when switching to side 2 my player started going nuts and wouldn't play, when I took out the disc I found there was a crack across side B ...
:cry:

Guess I'll have to track down another disc, fortunately I have a ton of new LDs to watch, speaking of Excalibur, I'm thinking tonight I'll be spinning that up!

On the Star Wars subject, I honestly believe I enjoyed Episode 1 in the theater much more then I did The Last Jedi...

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 20:16 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Did you see the same movie?

Rey kicked a** of course.

Rose saved her dumb a** boyfriend over and over.

Holdo's plan ended up being the best plan plus she heroicly sacraficed herself as part of it.

The guy who questioned it led a failed bombing raid early in the movie in which a female bomber crew heroicly triumphed despite his idiotic (male!) plan.

Phasma was actually bad. But not stupid.

Rey defeats a Jedi master with absolutely no training.

The very scene where Rose is introduced made me hate her and nothing she does over the course of the movie salvages her character. She rants about the kids at Canto Bight but then does nothing about it, and then gives Finn some BS speech about "saving what you love" while stopping Finn from destroying the battering ram and getting all their friends killed (and they both somehow make it all the way back to the base without the FO making any effort to stop them).

Holdo keeps her plan secret from Poe for absolutely no goddamn reason except just to let him think she's a traitor and stop him at the last minute and let the movie pull the rug from the audience's feet for the umpteenth time. And then she proceeds to sit on her a** doing absolutely nothing while more than half the rebel fleet is destroyed, including any of the non-suicidal options like using the ship to shield the fleeing vessels from enemy fire.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 00:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Man you actually got sucked into Disney's propoganda pretty good, either that or you're trolling hard and just being contrarian for fun. I actually notice you doing that on other threads here too.

takeshi666 wrote:
Rey defeats a Jedi master with absolutely no training.

That's my point. Her instant competence seems to come from her being a "strong woman".

Quote:
The very scene where Rose is introduced made me hate her

Still another strong woman scene, where she's made out to be stronger and smarter than the man.

and nothing she does over the course of the movie salvages her character.
Quote:
She rants about the kids at Canto Bight but then does nothing about it,

Just like the real life Left. haha. Still no man rescues them either, obviously so they can be in a later film. Nothing to do with my point.

Quote:
and then gives Finn some BS speech about "saving what you love" while stopping Finn from destroying the battering ram and getting all their friends killed (and they both somehow make it all the way back to the base without the FO making any effort to stop them).

Again heroic and saving a dumb male character.

Quote:
Holdo keeps her plan secret from Poe for absolutely no goddamn reason except just to let him think she's a traitor and stop him at the last minute and let the movie pull the rug from the audience's feet for the umpteenth time. And then she proceeds to sit on her a** doing absolutely nothing while more than half the rebel fleet is destroyed, including any of the non-suicidal options like using the ship to shield the fleeing vessels from enemy fire.

Still it's made clear that her plan was the best one and that unshaven pilot was dumb and would've gotten them all killed.

Admit it, the female characters are blatantly made out to be more virtuous, stronger and smarter than the male ones. It's a big propoganda piece with a "message". I don't like to pay money to have someones ideology shoved down my throat. Only didn't walk out because my friends seemed to be enjoying it.

I'm not the only person on earth to have noticed that the movie was a feminist vehicle first and an entertraining movie second. I think you must just be trolling.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 00:41 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Wait, it was entertaining??? I haven't seen it yet but from all the reviews I have read it wasn't entertaining.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 06:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
Man you actually got sucked into Disney's propoganda pretty good, either that or you're trolling hard and just being contrarian for fun. I actually notice you doing that on other threads here too.

Wait, who/what exactly are you dis/agreeing with? :?

I definitely got the impression even during watching it that it was far too busy indulging itself in it's own subversiveness to actually be an entertaining movie. Why tell a story that makes sense when there's a yet another opportunity to yank the proverbial rug from under the audience?

And as for the feminist agenda, well, it is kind of depressing that they decided to shove an actual strong female character (Leia) in the closet in favour of this woman who looks like some kind of a third wave feminist icon with her ridicilous purple hair, all she needed was some pointy glasses.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 03:19 
True fan
True fan

I got to watching Excalibur... boy it sure didn't disappoint, amazing film! It fascinates me how movies today can't draw you in like these classics of 40+ years ago.

I think it was also the network cable premiere of Force Awakens, could have watched that but I think I made the right choice...

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 13:18 
True fan
True fan

Saw Say Anything on LD yesterday which arrived from Japan.

4:3 picture but pretty much as sharp as the BD rip I watched months ego.
So a brilliant transfer.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2018, 19:24 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

admin wrote:
substance wrote:

Julien

Wait! What happened in episode 2? I totally forgot:)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 07:02 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Been on a David Fincher kick recently after hearing about his movies. Watched the Criterion releases of both Seven and The Game. Fabulous movies and he's a brilliant director. I'm going to have to watch more of his work.

Also spun the CAV Criterion release of Brazil. Always been a big Terry Gilliam fan from his work on Monty Python to Time Bandits, and Baron Munchhausen. Great to finally watch Brazil. What a fun movie. Now I've just got to hunt down a copy of 12 Monkeys!
Pioneer 151FD

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 01:03 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

TOMBSTONE

"Why, That's just my game." :D

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2018, 10:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
forper wrote:

And as for the feminist agenda, well, it is kind of depressing that they decided to shove an actual strong female character (Leia) in the closet in favour of this woman who looks like some kind of a third wave feminist icon with her ridicilous purple hair, all she needed was some pointy glasses.

Agree with this!! Leia is a woman that doesn't need preachy writing, she just kicks a**.

Page 2 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next