It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:39

Page 3 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you been watching?
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2018, 18:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Just re-watched The Mind's Eye LD. The rot isn't as bad as I remembered. Apart from a couple of scenes with some obvious rot noise, it's a perfectly watchable disc.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2018, 00:59 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just watched James & the Giant Peach, I loved that film when I was little and only had an off-air VHS tape of it. It was great to finally see it on LD. Remarkably good picture as well though being a Kuraray disc I would expect nothing less. Also gave Fires of Kuwait a re watch, took me 2 attempts to find a rot free copy of that one.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2018, 23:19 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Wow this thread has hit 100,000 views! Very nice work!!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:02 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I've been on a 50s sci fi kick lately. I've been adding movies like Forbidden Planet, and The Day the Earth Stood Still to my LD collection. I also just ordered United Artists Sci-Fi Matinee, and Universal Pictures Golden Age of Science Fiction box sets. I'm really looking forward to them coming in the mail.

I'm thinking classic sci fi is going to be my LD niche

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I really like some of the classic sci-fi stuff. Forbidden Planet was really good in my opinion. I own two versions on LD. Cool Stuff.

Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML102321]
Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML100041]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2018, 21:34 
Honest fan
Honest fan

invenio wrote:
I really like some of the classic sci-fi stuff. Forbidden Planet was really good in my opinion. I own two versions on LD. Cool Stuff.

Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML102321]
Forbidden Planet (1956) [ML100041]

ML102321 is the copy I own

When I was young I never liked old movies (especially science fiction movies). Now that I am older and can look past all the things that bugged me as a kid like the poor special effects, bad make up, and corny looking aliens; I am having a blast watching all of these movies for the first time.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 04:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I've gone through the first three "Mind's Eye" discs the past week or so. I loved these as a kid (especially the first two), and they're still enjoyable to me today. My wife had never seen them, and while she thinks they're a little strange, she also had to admit "Beyond the Mind's Eye" was pretty relaxing.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 12:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pizmo wrote:
ML102321 is the copy I own

When I was young I never liked old movies (especially science fiction movies). Now that I am older and can look past all the things that bugged me as a kid like the poor special effects, bad make up, and corny looking aliens; I am having a blast watching all of these movies for the first time.

I know exactly what you mean. When I was a kid I watched Star Trek TNG, but I had no interest in Star Trek TOS as it looked "cheezy". I recently did a viewing of both TNG and TOS on LD and I really enjoyed it. The outdated special effects and acting style didn't bother me at all. I appreciated the time period in which it was made.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2018, 13:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

modernzorker wrote:
I've gone through the first three "Mind's Eye" discs the past week or so. I loved these as a kid (especially the first two), and they're still enjoyable to me today. My wife had never seen them, and while she thinks they're a little strange, she also had to admit "Beyond the Mind's Eye" was pretty relaxing.

I still need to pick up the other two. Good thing none of them are particularly valuable, they're cheap to collect :D

I could also recommend ID5332PA if you want to see more in it's original form. I have the re-release which is otherwise a pretty good pressing but is entirely in CLV and has no chapters encoded which is a major pain on a title like this.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2018, 03:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

takeshi666 wrote:
modernzorker wrote:

I still need to pick up the other two. Good thing none of them are particularly valuable, they're cheap to collect :D

I could also recommend ID5332PA if you want to see more in it's original form. I have the re-release which is otherwise a pretty good pressing but is entirely in CLV and has no chapters encoded which is a major pain on a title like this.

One of the things I love about this format is just how cheap a lot of good stuff is. These are totally a part of that. The DVDs for the various Mind's Eye releases can be absurdly expensive, but I think I paid $10 for the quartet of them on LD. Hard to beat $2.50 apiece. Granted, this was probably around 2002 or so when I first got into the format, but still. :)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 21:21 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Watched both 'Conan the Barbarian' and 'Jaws' yesterday. The abrupt cut on Jaws when it was time to switch discs startled my wife more than the shark attacks did. :D

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 21:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I need to re-watch the blu-ray of Conan the Barbarian. I messed up the player settings last time and accidentally watched the cut UK version.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 10:44 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I watched A Goofy Movie with my kids yesterday evening.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 10:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Been living the life of a Japanese salaryman circa 1986, kicking back with some cigarettes, Asahi and Kirin and dreaming of Hawaii and dirt bike riding in Australia..

"nippon no seikatsu saikou da naaa?"

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 22:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Watched the Special Collection LD of Empire Strikes Back last night. The transfer is much cleaner than the original, probably owing to it's less gung ho filmmaking roots. Unfortunately I did spot a couple of instances of what might be rot artefacts, but these can't have totalled more than a couple of seconds.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 22:21 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Watched the Special Collection LD of Empire Strikes Back last night. The transfer is much cleaner than the original, probably owing to it's less gung ho filmmaking roots. Unfortunately I did spot a couple of instances of what might be rot artefacts, but these can't have totalled more than a couple of seconds.

Sometimes these are just drop outs and can be caused by dirt on or in-between the disc.
You may not even be able to see them.

I've had discs with glue or dirt that made these issues, if you can see them clean them off, if not they may be inside the layers.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 23:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Sometimes these are just drop outs and can be caused by dirt on or in-between the disc.

I've had discs with glue or dirt that made these issues, if you can see them clean them off, if not they may be inside the layers.

Considering how small and brief the artefacts are, it's pretty unlikely it'd be caused by something visible on the disc surface. For what it's worth, I did wipe the disc with the same stuff I use to clean my glasses but it had no discernible effect.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 23:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Considering how small and brief the artefacts are, it's pretty unlikely it'd be caused by something visible on the disc surface. For what it's worth, I did wipe the disc with the same stuff I use to clean my glasses but it had no discernible effect.

No matter if it is there or not, if you can remove it or its under the layers.

This is known as a drop out or drop outs not rot.

I don't think I've ever had any disc in the over 2000 discs I've had go through my hands that didn't have a drop out or speck or two specks.

If you are still stepping through your disc you will find something.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 11:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Probably, but I don't think I'm gonna sweat over stuff that's only visible for single frames; I'm talking about the stuff that lingers on the screen for several seconds and isn't just a hair stuck in the gate or something.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 15:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:
Probably, but I don't think I'm gonna sweat over stuff that's only visible for single frames; I'm talking about the stuff that lingers on the screen for several seconds and isn't just a hair stuck in the gate or something.

Just trying to clarify so you and others know what is and is not rot.
Hope that helps :P

Page 3 of 6 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next