It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:43

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Pioneer LV-4300D (LD-V4300D) RGB output
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 20:42 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:
I agree, but two things:
if everyone searched before they posted there would be like six posts a year. Also, 100 people getting all their information from a single thread is probably not a great idea. That's how a lot of really dumb conventional wisdom procreates. Sometimes you can find totally false popular rumors that originate from a single first hand account. Think about how much confusion there is over laser rot and how it gets hugely overrated and assigned to almost any symptom. Also, consider how popular opinion changes and time goes on. A lot of technical advice given in this forum and others I go to has suddenly been supplanted when new products come out, or maybe just come to light, like the almost revolutionary discovery of the usefulness of DVD recorders or the DPS-290. It's not like this is some Sons of Anarchy forum with 1000 posts a day anyway...

Well said. ^^ a forum is a place for discussion, by definition.

The RGB scart of the LV-4300D would have to pass through an on-board comb filter. The odds are likely that it is very low grade.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 05:37 
Sure, I expect it to be awful, but I'm still fascinated by how it looks and what exactly they did to achieve the RGB conversion.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 03:37 
Serious fan
Serious fan

gohanx wrote:
Sure, I expect it to be awful, but I'm still fascinated by how it looks and what exactly they did to achieve the RGB conversion.

I have a 4300D I recently got. I haven't tried the RGB, but the process is all done on one single IC, something like this; http://msx.hansotten.com/uploads/msxdocs/SonyV7021.pdf

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2019, 20:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hello everybody.

As a matter of interest, I have managed to get a picture out of the D-SUB9 RGB output of two of my LD-V4300D wired to the SCART RGB input of my Panasonic TV.

For testing purpose, I have built a D-SUB9 to SCART video cable according to the D-SUB wiring scheme of the 4300D service manual and the SCART standard in addition with two 1.5V batteries wired in series with a 100 ohms resistor on the fast blanking pins of the SCART connector (pin 16 to 18) in order to force the SCART input of the TV to RGB mode.

Unfortunately, with both the tested 4300D, though the luminescence part of the signal works flawlessly, it appears that only the red color channel is displayed by the monitor.

Thus, something is amiss. I have triple checked both the correct wiring of my connector and the electrical continuity throughout the cables and pins connectors. There were no problem.

I have no idea what could be wrong, other that the signal conditioning out of the RGB out of the 4300D is not compatible with the RGB input specifications of my TV. Another possibility could be an improper signal ground wiring. The D-SUB9 has only two ground pins. Thus, I have wired the 4 grounds of 4 miniature coaxial cable 2 by 2, the luminescence and green ground to one pin, the red and blue ground to the other, whereas each of the 4 signal grounds have its own dedicated pin on the SCART connector side. I wonder if something could be problematic with current flaw in this configuration.

EDIT : instead of opening one of my 4300D to verify the output pins configuration, I watched Deus Ex Silicium's video-tour on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myudRuHDpEM). I carefully observed the PCB traces around the D-SUB connector by pausing the video at 9:13. It appears to me that the RGB pinout documented in the service manual is wrong. It's seems to me it's not pin 1 gnd, pin 2 gnd, pin 3 red, pin 4 green, pin 5 blue, but (following the same naming convention of the D-SUB pins as in the service manual) : pin 1 blue (or green ?) pin 2 green (or blue ?), pin 3 red, pin 4 gnd, pin 5 gnd. That's make sense to me as I only got luminescence and red.

EDIT2 : After due consideration, there is a discrepancy about the pinout of the pin 1 through 5 of the RGB output between p. 70 and p. 131 of the service manual : the schematic on the former page is correct whereas the wiring scheme on the latter is not. The pin assignment I have proposed above follow the pin topology described p. 131.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 19:13 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I have modified my video cable and gave the RGB outputs of my two 4300D another try.

[Mode Anakin Skywalker ON] It's working ! It's working ! [Mode Anakin Skywalker OFF]

I am thus proud to announce that I am the first man on Earth who can testify on the Internet that He has seen the RGB output of a Pioneer LD-V4300D actually working ! :angel:

I'm now looking forward to properly calibrated a channel memory of the RGB input of my TV set with Video Essential Laserdisc in order to do a comparison between the RGB out and the composite (BNC) out linked to the already calibrated composite input of the TV I usually use to watch Laserdisc.

Underneath is the correct pin assignment of the D-SUB9 terminal of the LD-V4300D as viewed from the outside at the rear of the apparatus (the picture is taken from page 131 of the service manual).

Attachments:
Erratum_rgb_pinout_ldv4300d_small.jpg
Erratum_rgb_pinout_ldv4300d_small.jpg [ 68.92 KiB | Viewed 1623 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2019, 23:09 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Done.

What a handy tool this Video Essential Laserdisc is to evaluate hardware performances !

The adjustment of contrast and brightness are not the same in RGB than in composite. It's seems the black level is an hairspring lower in RGB.

The three most interesting parts on the Video Essential Laserdisc are the color bars, Snell and Wilcox test pattern and multiburst.

Please not that there is no tint adjustment to be made in RGB even with an NTSC encoded laserdisc. The blue color bars is an hint best adjusted in RGB but, between green and magenta and red and blue, there is sort of black transition line and dot crawl which become apparent with the RGB out. The yellow bar is a tad bit greenish in RGB.

As for the Snell and Wilcox test pattern, I refer to this megapixie's webpage : http://notonbluray.com/blog/comb-tb-tests/

The level of artifacts that is produced both in composite and RGB depends on the setting of the noise reduction on my TV. I choose the setting which gives the best overall performances in each mode.

In RGB, the mobile zone plate produced a bit more rainbowing artifacts than composite and two concentric circles are missing in-between the center and the two upper one compared to composite. In RGB, some rainbow become apparent in the 4 Mhz square of the frequency wedge horizontal that isn't apparent in composite. There are also slight rainbowing effects in the two first upper horizontal frequency response squares, as well as in the lower left 4.28 square ; those effects aren't noticeable in composite.

On the multiburst test, the RGB output does produce a curvature distortion in the higher end of the pattern.

Overall, the RGB output, through very much watchable with ordinary materials, appears to be markedly inferior to plain composite into my TV set.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2019, 00:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Hardcore. Thanks for the info.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019, 01:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I also could get the RGB image last year, by using my ASTRO MC-2018 (mimylovesjapan @ Astro Design) and here is my ASTRO review ;) : https://retro-visual.jimdo.com/laserdis ... rocessors/
And yes, the image quality is not specially good. The RGB out was a conversion of the video out to be displayed on a PC program. That's why the quality were not the objective. Compatibility was.
Thank you for the Video Essential test report !
Lumagen 2144 (scaler)
Collection

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2