It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:58

Page 1 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Unique in this Collection tab - what is unique in yours?
PostPosted: 27 May 2014, 23:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Im liking the new 'Unique in this Collection' tab on my collection. :)

Mine are:

What is 'Unique' in your collection?

Last edited by joe on 29 May 2014, 20:58, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Unique in this Collection tab - what is unique in yours?
PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 01:29 
True fan
True fan

Best 4 Karaoke #155 (1993) [COMK-155]
Best 4 Karaoke #237 (1998) [COMK-237]
Best 4 Karaoke #241 (1998) [COMK-241]
Best 4 Karaoke #242 (1998) [COMK-242]
Best 4 Karaoke #41 (1992) [COMK-41]
Best 4 Karaoke #83 (1992) [COMK-83]
Envision 73 Tremont [---]
Urusei Yatsura: Movie #1 Only You (1983) [5133-16]

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 05:14 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

So far:

Am I seriously the only member with Light of Day [IDVL5200]?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 06:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My unique titles are mostly adult titles, but the rest are anime and MMA . . .

Some of the other Pancrase (think of Pro Wrestling, but real and no pin falls) discs I have aren't listed on LDDb, so those might be added to this list once I enter them in the site.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 06:43 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Four whole pages. Mostly anime, but there's this, a Japanese propaganda film with model work of the Pearl Harbour attack by Eiji Tsuburaya. I also have the Japanese rental LD of Glory, which nobody has bought in as long as I've had it listed.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 08:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Currently (although I have some titles in my collection that aren't in the database).
Attachment:
Unique titles.png
Unique titles.png [ 16.03 KiB | Viewed 6837 times ]

Got to be proud over Yang. ;)

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 12:24 
True fan
True fan

Peter Greenaway's 4 American Composers (1983) [PHLG-6002~3]
Attachment:
32258.jpg
32258.jpg [ 136.99 KiB | Viewed 6288 times ]

Last edited by cold_sleeper on 23 Jan 2016, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 13:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

With 1291 unique titles there are just too many to list.
Basically it covers almost all types of discs.

Obviously loads of standard music concerts and video compilation LDs from around the world in 5", 8" and 12" sizes.
Tonnes of promotional music discs manufactured for jukeboxes, instore or satellite broadcast.

Brat pack movies, B movies, Japan imports of many movies titles that no one else bothered to buy - even a few late release movies from 2000.

PostPosted: 28 May 2014, 14:08 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Nothing :(

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 20:48 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

publius wrote:
Four whole pages. Mostly anime, but there's this, a Japanese propaganda film with model work of the Pearl Harbour attack by Eiji Tsuburaya.

I'd rather watch that than any effort from Mr M Bay...

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 21:21 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

so far ...I need to add about 2 titles to the db so I probably be the only one who has those.

PostPosted: 29 May 2014, 23:28 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

179 unique titles in my collection - 6 of them being HD-DVDs.
Would have never thought it would be so many.

PostPosted: 31 May 2014, 16:47 
Serious fan
Serious fan

My only unique title in over 700 discs:

Addams Family Cartoon Adventures #2 [ID8367HA]

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2014, 18:18 
True fan
True fan

Ah, a new feature here, cool, though I don´t have very much unique titles... I envy the owner of the Kenneth Anger Discs. Don´t yoyu guys wonder where all the other copies went ? If they are not here listed, and this is a hardcore collectors site and I´m pretty much sure serious collectors use this site for their collection, where did the rest of all these discs went?

Attachments:
Unbenannt.JPG
Unbenannt.JPG [ 36.69 KiB | Viewed 6648 times ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 21:02 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Well, I just checked this, and there is waaayyy too much to list here. I knew I probably had a lot of titles in my collection that no one else had, but I had no idea it would be this many! It seems that over a third of the titles in my rather sizeable collection are "unique"! The list, believe it or not, totals 2716 titles :o ! It's only going to go up, too, as I have about 50 new titles to add to the database in the near future! I'm sure that no one else has those either, unless they just haven't bothered to submit them to Julien for validation. Speaking of Julien, thanks for adding another great feature to this, the ultimate LD collectors' website! :thumbup: I'm lovin' it :D :D :D !

David :D

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2014, 23:15 
True fan
True fan

@laserking....you deserve your name well my friend ....astonishing....where did you get all these hk releases ?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2014, 22:43 
Serious fan
Serious fan

exinferis wrote:
@laserking....you deserve your name well my friend ....astonishing....where did you get all these hk releases ?

Hi exinferis,

I got them from many different places over the last few years. Many of them came from a seller in Texas. A lot of the early ones I picked up from a seller in Chicago several years ago. I have also obtained quite a few of them at various times from several lesser sources in Hong Kong itself. When I joined this site in 2005, I had no Hong Kong releases whatsoever in my collection. In fact, I had almost no imports at all, but I was well on my way to having all of the U.S. releases I wanted to own. Then, I encountered the seller in Chicago, which was a pivotal moment in my collecting experience. This guy was a serious collector like myself, and he liked a lot of the same types of movies I liked, namely horror, sci-fi, action, and mysteries/thrillers. Also, like me, he had a love for low-budget movies, especially in the aforementioned genres. His collection was about the same size as mine, roughly 3000 titles at that time. The biggest difference was that, unlike my collection, his was loaded with imports. He started listing things for sale that I never knew existed :o ! My collection began growing by leaps and bounds again, after I had gone through a period of dormancy during the early new millennium. My interest was renewed again in my collection! It was like a doorway to another world had opened up, and I had discovered this hidden place full of treasures I never even dreamed of before! It was an adrenaline rush of excitement like you can't imagine!

I had several telephone conversations with this guy, and during one of them, he told me that he liked Hong Kong discs better than Japanese ones. I was confused by this, as I knew the well-deserved great reputation that the Japanese releases have long had among serious collectors. I asked him why he liked the Hong Kong discs better, and why he had so many in his collection. He told me that there were two reasons. First, unlike the Japanese discs, almost all of the Hong Kong ones were either in English, or had English subtitles. This was due to the fact that Hong Kong had long been a part of the British Empire. Second, he told me that he believed that Hong Kong releases were among the very rarest discs ever made. He told me that there were many Hong Kong discs in his collection of which he had never seen another copy in 20+ years of collecting! :o This guy had been very much a world traveler, which I most decidedly am not. He went on vacations to Hong Kong, and many other places in that part of the world. Many of his discs were personally bought by him at video stores while he was vacationing there. He had begun collecting DVDs instead, and decided to sell off his laserdisc collection. I started buying everything I could afford out of his collection as he made it available for purchase. After a year or two, sadly, it became all too obvious that his vast collection was dwindling away to only a shell of its' former self :( . The best titles he had were all gone. The good news is that most of it was now part of my collection :thumbup: ! In fact, my collection has now, I believe, far surpassed what his was in its' prime.

Dealing with that seller was a valuable experience for me, not only because of all the marvelous treasures I got from his collection. I also gained a wealth of knowledge from him as well. I always remembered what he had told me about Hong Kong laserdiscs. As my collection continued to grow, I found that what he had said to me was absolutely true. My experience with Hong Kong laserdiscs was exactly the same as his had been! I can also say the same for Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, and China. Every time I acquired a new piece from one of these Asian countries, I came to this site and checked for a listing of it. Almost without exception, I found that there was no record of it here at all :shock: ! It was obvious that these discs were quite rare indeed, and no one here in the hardcore laserdisc community even knew about them :shock: ! I remembered another thing that the Chicago collector had told me, and I believe that it is probably true. He told me that at some point in the late 90's or early new millennium, a large number of Hong Kong laserdiscs were destroyed :o ! He said that they were shipped back to Mainland China, where they were recycled for the raw materials from which they were made :thumbdown: ! If this is true, what a tragedy that so many wonderful treasures were lost forever :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: ! It became my mission to obtain as many of these rare discs as I could, and to document the existence of them here. I want to preserve information about these rare releases on this site, including pictures of what they looked like, so all collectors will be able to see and enjoy them. To me, this is a vital part of preserving the history of this grand old format for future generations. It's a little like archaeology, preserving the fossil record of the dinosaur bones that remain, so that people will remember that these rare animals once walked upon this earth! So, for now, I am trying to do my part to keep history alive here for the future. I encourage you to do your part as well, by submitting information about any such rare discs that you might encounter in your travels. :thumbup:

Best Regards,
David :wave:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2014, 00:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I absolutely love that post.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2014, 21:16 
Serious fan
Serious fan

signofzeta wrote:

Hi signofzeta,

Thanks, I suppose I have my moments from time to time. In case you didn't know, I can be pretty passionate about this format. If you don't believe me, just take a look at my collection listing and About Me page :!: To answer your previous question, no, I don't have Light of Day, believe it or not :o . So far, I have never encountered a Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, or Chinese release of this title. I have no idea if it was released anywhere in that part of the world, but if it was, I have yet to see it. You can believe that if a copy of such a release ever surfaces, I will try my best to acquire it. I have always thought that I would like to have this title in my collection. I have had numerous opportunities to get a copy of the U.S. release that you have over the years, but I just haven't jumped on it. There always seems to be something else that I want more, and it's not the type of piece that I'm willing to give serious money for. Someday, when I see it for a cheap price, and I have nothing more interesting that I'm looking at, I will get it.

Best Regards,

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2014, 21:41 
True fan
True fan

laserking wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

Hi signofzeta,

Thanks, I suppose I have my moments from time to time. In case you didn't know, I can be pretty passionate about this format. If you don't believe me, just take a look at my collection listing and About Me page :!: To answer your previous question, no, I don't have Light of Day, believe it or not :o . So far, I have never encountered a Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, or Chinese release of this title. I have no idea if it was released anywhere in that part of the world, but if it was, I have yet to see it. You can believe that if a copy of such a release ever surfaces, I will try my best to acquire it. I have always thought that I would like to have this title in my collection. I have had numerous opportunities to get a copy of the U.S. release that you have over the years, but I just haven't jumped on it. There always seems to be something else that I want more, and it's not the type of piece that I'm willing to give serious money for. Someday, when I see it for a cheap price, and I have nothing more interesting that I'm looking at, I will get it.

Best Regards,

Just wondering, have you ever come across any Halcyon discs? When a story like yours, I don't see how you couldn't have.

Page 1 of 3 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next