It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Worst remote for laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2014, 22:47 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I wanted a remote for my Pioneer LV-4300D and couldn't find anyone selling the RU-V103 remote that was an optional extra, so did some browsing on various sites and found the CU-V113 listed as an acceptable substitute.

Now, I've had an earlier player with the RU-V103 and it was actually a pretty good remote - a bit thick and clunky and built very solidly, with a membrane keypad. VERY tough, I think ABS plastic, and looked like it was designed to survive in an industrial environment. I quite liked it.

The CU-V113, on the other hand, has pretty much the same membrane keypad and works OK, but it's in an even bulkier case, more than an inch thick, that looks like it was designed to be handled by gorillas, except that the plastic feels flimsy and nasty; I'd guess it's polystyrene or whatever plastic videocassettes were made of. I doubt it would last a week in a real industrial setting.

Just measured it - the actual dimensions are 18.7cm x 8.3cm x 2.7cm (7 3/8" x 3 1/4" x 1 1/32"). With batteries it weighs 180g, or 6.2oz.

and there's a picture here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321401737474

This is nobody's fault, except mine for being too impatient, but a bit disappointing, it feels like they really cut corners to save pennies on this one.

So - any other remotes that fail to live up to expectations, or is this about the worst?

Post subject: Re: Worst remote for laserdisc players?
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 00:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Oh man, I have one of those remotes and I love it! It's 25 years old and still works perfectly, so I'm pretty sure fragility isn't an issue. If you *need* ABS plastic for your remote then I think you're screwed because it's pretty much always going to be styrene with Pioneer LD remotes.

I love to break that thing out and blow people's minds. It's gigantic.

The worst ones are the ones that came with the Laseractive (amazingly button-poor, lacks features even the CLD-S201's remote had) and the later models for the DVLs. All curvy and amorphous and "90s" in the worst way. Such a step down.

Of course, since nearly all Pioneer LD players work with nearly all Pioneer LD player remotes, all that really matters is what the best one is, and that's the one for the CLD-99. Several others had basically the same remote, minus the backlight and the VDNR adjustment.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 01:39 
True fan
True fan

I don't think it's the "worst", but take a look at the Philips CDV-488 remote control...

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 03:10 
Love the font on the remote OP has posted.
Very cool, miss seeing those days, even though I was a baby when that was 'in'.

That Philips CDV remote looks interesting...
I shouldn't be looking at these threads, I have enough old broken laptops that I just keep because of looks.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 08:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
Oh man, I have one of those remotes and I love it! It's 25 years old and still works perfectly, so I'm pretty sure fragility isn't an issue. If you *need* ABS plastic for your remote then I think you're screwed because it's pretty much always going to be styrene with Pioneer LD remotes.

It just doesn't feel very solid, somehow. If you tap it there's a hollow sound, and it creaks if you hold it too tightly. I'd imagine it's probably OK, but it doesn't inspire confidence the way the RU-V103 did.

later - and I just checked which remote I'd previously owned, and it turns out I was wrong - it wasn't an RU-V103, it was actually the CU-V113A, which seems to be an updated version of the CU-V113.

That's also my old player, I took most of the CLD-V2300D pictures in the archive. As you can see, the CU-V113A is more rounded and a little more ergonomic generally, and slightly smaller. And a lot more solid, though you can't tell from the picture.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 17:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

even though most people will probably consider it one of the worst, - since most people tend to adore Ergonomics- the CU-CLD008 series,
which was initially debuted with the CLD-99S/3030, and lasted through the -3070/91, LD-W1 and LD-S2,
is my favorite LDP remote of them all, and, believe me, i've seen them ALL...

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2014, 20:39 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Why couldn't Pioneer have one design for the remote and use that on all models. Its annoying to use one remote without a jog dial and then use one that has it. Also did the engineers at Pioneer take drugs and have a good time? Why do some remotes have the jog dial on the bottom and others on the top?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 19:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I like the LD-W1s remote a lot, but its really really big.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 19:07 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

xtempo wrote:
Why couldn't Pioneer have one design for the remote and use that on all models. Its annoying to use one remote without a jog dial and then use one that has it. Also did the engineers at Pioneer take drugs and have a good time? Why do some remotes have the jog dial on the bottom and others on the top?

Every time they added a new feature, which was pretty much every year, they needed a new button on the remote for it.

Considering that you can pretty much use whatever Pioneer remote you want on whatever player you have, I feel that Pioneer was being really awesome to us on this front. Compare this to, say, Sony, who would change the power supply for every damn Walkman they made every single time leaving you with a huge collection of wall warts that are each only compatible with one unit.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 10:39 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

never liked the Pio remotes :shock:

I programmed my sr-7007 RC to operate my cld-d925. Works like a charm. I have no use for the jog dial knob.
The sr-7007 is programmed for all my electronics. Took me some time to figure out what d-vhs machine codes are. The remote needs a brand number first. Then it let's you copy RC commands using the Original remote that came with the device.
I figured it out eventually.

My Pio remoter are sitting unused in the spare closset.

I always felt they look like an Imperial destroyer :lol:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 13:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

The worst LD player remote is the one that didn't come with that second hand player you bought.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2014, 15:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:

same base design as my 3030's CU-CLD008. believe it or not, i use it one-handed almost all of the time,
using the JOG/SHUTTLE being the only occasion where i ever seem to need to go two-handed.

i guess my long, slender fingers, and/or my history of playing difficult, "twitch-reaction" video games for over 2/3 of my life
has provided me a pair of hands with especially nimble tactile skills or something, i suppose...

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 01:29 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

tasuke wrote:
signofzeta wrote:

same base design as my 3030's CU-CLD008. believe it or not, i use it one-handed almost all of the time,
using the JOG/SHUTTLE being the only occasion where i ever seem to need to go two-handed.

i guess my long, slender fingers, and/or my history of playing difficult, "twitch-reaction" video games for over 2/3 of my life
has provided me a pair of hands with especially nimble tactile skills or something, i suppose...

I grew up using the CLD-3070 remote which is like the 3030 and the LDW1.
only thing I couldn't do was use the center jog with one hand.

it was and is very easy to use the outer ring for searching with one hand.
best remote ever :thumbup:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 15:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Just to give an idea of size, here's the remote that began this thread alongside an AA battery.

The scanner needs a bit of a clean, sorry about that.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2014, 16:18 
True fan
True fan

I like that remote! Doesn't give a F@#K about nicotine or rain (or beer) :D

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2014, 17:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 04:39 
I'd say the worst remotes are from the mid to late 90s. I'll take those 80s remotes from all of you if you don't mind. Personally I favor the corded industrial remotes (I think it's the ru-v101?).

Speaking of strength, I was playing laserdiscs with cover off on my ld-v4200. Towards end of side, tilt servo started going crazy and laser would raise until touching the disc (thankfully it has a small pad so it doesn't scratch). So I took a screwdriver and pried the metal with my strength for the sensor in back. It didn't change anything. So I took an LD jacket and covered top of player and the lens finally stopped lifting like crazy. Figured out the light in my room was confusing the laser and tilt servo mechanism :wtf:! So I took the screw driver back out and bent the metal for the sensor back. Player didn't even care. I'm also glad this player doesn't spin discs against tray on problematic discs like my LD-717 (ld-717 smells like burnt plastic and sometimes drops spinning discs on tray after hitting eject on good discs :o ), and the power plug is heavy duty with a ground point.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 10:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

You can use the CU-V113 with a plug-in cord, some of the other industrial remotes too - there are actually good reasons for doing this, e.g. the player is in the projection room of an auditorium, but someone standing at a podium in the auditorium needs to control it sometimes.

Reminds me that the first player I owned had that type of remote - an LD-V4100.

This is from the laserdisc archive but I took the original pictures so I'd say it's legitimate use! Funnily enough I found this a "nicer" remote than the CU-V113, despite the cable, because it's much smaller and feels really solid, like it could survive almost anything. It also had a separate infa-red receiver that plugged into the player's serial port, but I didn't have a remote for it - I did, however, have a plug in barcode reader:

Never had much use for that, unfortunately.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 13:21 
Third post and above
Third post and above

acuozzo wrote:
I don't think it's the "worst", but take a look at the Philips CDV-488 remote control...

Hi,

do you (still) have this CDV-488 remote?

If yes would you like to part with it?

I'm looking for one.

Kind regards, Wim... :-)

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2020, 13:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You resurrected a six year old thread to ask a random person if they want to sell a remote they posted a photo of? :?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next