It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:17

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Movies on laserdisc that will probably never be put on d
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 17:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The thing I find weird with the first A-ko is that it was a theatrical release. There has to 35mm prints out there that Pony Canyon could use to make a BD if in fact the master prints were all "lost in a fire". It isn't like the series is obscure and unknown!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 23:43 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

It had a theatrical release but it was primarily an OVA. Much like Robot Carnival or Birth or the new Gundam stuff.

There EXISTED at one point or another a 35mm negative of nearly all anime before the mid 90s. That’s how it was produced. It was however a production method more than a medium. The product they wanted was the home video release so once they had that the elements become much less important. This goes double for TV when there is just days and days of something and the quality isn’t super high in any case.

I really hope we find an A-ko print some day, also To-y and Flashback 2012.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 15:27 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Yeah, I know A-ko like Vampire Hunter D and many others were originally OVAs that were either later released theatrically or released theatrically first (like A-ko). Which is why 35mm prints have to exist. There is a weird amount of "negatives lost in fire" stories about many OVAs but I don't believe most of it. Japan was never great at storing film negatives, but they didn't go tossing them out which is why we still have new negative scans for DVD and BD for ancient TV, OVAs and movies.

35mm prints were made for TV shows for overseas distribution I think? But the original 16mm nagatives are the original masters. Low budget OVAs were 16mm as well. 35mm tv series was never a thing, apart from op/ed animation because they always wanted it to be the highest quality possible to grab peoples attention. One of the reasons so many TV series have beautiful chara designs and animation in the opening which drastically drops for the actual show itself. It is also why idiot Jp companies started dnr'ing tv series to hell, because of the 16mm grain being so heavy on BD. How I HATE dnr!

Wasn't the VHD, SFII MOVIE and Venus Wars BDs made from theatrical prints? I have the US BDs of both but I have the Jp BD box for Venus Wars on pre-order as well. I adore that movie. I am very interested go see if it is the same. Can't wait for LEDA as well. Now I just need Windaria on BD!

Sadly, Flashback 2012 footage is never likely to be re-scanned as it was not made on film. It was all edited on sd video and apparently the negs for the new animation no longer exist. It would have to be re-made from scratch if it did. To at least have the DYRL? footage in HD would be amazing. Such gorgeous animation! Although, that whole last scene from Minmei sitting at the piano is breathtakingly beautiful. I believe I will have an actual film scanned Flashback 2012 the same day I have an uncensored copy of FotNS on DVD or BD.

I believe that almost of the long lost OVAs and movies sit wasted in a vault somewhere in Japan. Look that Technopolice 21C BD! That movie had one singular LD release in 1983 and was never released again. Now it has a gorgeous BD from the original master?!? I never would have expected that in a million years! TOHO have been sitting on it since 1982. Then you have so many LD only releases that had a new scan done for HDTV showings. Yet they never bothered with a DVD release. I have a VAP LD that was a tv movie. I have seen screen shots of the HDTV version, but it was never released on DVD. It looked a hell of a lot better than the shoddy LD, that's for sure! Sometimes a different part of the "commitee" might own the masters as well.

Look at something like Lodoss War. Another "lost in a fire" OVA series that never had a proper DVD master. It used the old composite LD masters instead. It was never lost in a fire, Kadakawa was holding them hostage it seems. Once they were able to publish it themselves, a miracle happened and the original negs were used for a stupidly over priced BD set! I wish the same would happen for 3X3 EYES, Nuku Nuku and Blue Seed! Nadia was another "lost in a fire" that finally got out of the LD era with its BD release. The island episodes which Ano famously destroyed were the only LD elements used.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 16:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

How insane was the Japanese price? The US price was reasonable and it looks great. I assume it didn't come out for years later though because derp derp derp Japan.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 20:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The original BD boxset was ¥39,800. For 13 episodes. Absolutely insane. They recently released a "regular" editiin for ¥12,800.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 21:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

And I disliked the US retail of $85 wow.

I ended up paying $30 which was definitely a no regret price. Looks fantastic on BD as well.

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3