Advanced fan

Hi!

A quick list of equipment I have:
Pioneer HLD-X9 laserdisc player
Panasonic NV-FS200 VHS player
Panasonic TX-P50VT60Y plasma TV
Yamaha RX-A2020 AV receiver
DVDO Edge Green video processor

I've struggled for a very long time to get decent picture quality. Not only from my laserdisc player, but also other equipment like my VHS player and classic computers/video game systems.

Video game systems or computers can often have bad dot crawl in the picture. Composite and s-video output produce a lot of rainbow colors in the picture, escpecially when there is movement. The laserdisc player also have this on composite output, but s-video is greatly improved, but not perfect.

I also have noise in the picture. I found out that if I hooked the player directly to the TV, it went away. Either the DVDO video processor or the Yamaha AV receiver is introducing noise. I suspect the video processor, as I've found other forum threads with people experiencing the same issue. One thing the AV receiver does, it cutting the video signal from my VCR. If there is a hint of noise in the picture (which is almost unavoidable on VHS) it will drop out the picture and sound. Very annoying. It can happen on LD too, but extremely rare.

In my possession I have one of those old high-end 32" Sony Trinitron widescreen CRTs. I hooked my player up to that TV once, and the picture quality were just stunning. I've heard that plasma TVs are supposed to be much better, but it couldn't beat this old CRT at least. Eventhough my plasma is a high-end TV, it doesn't have proper filters built in apparently. I got recommended the DVDO a long time ago which were supposed to solve these issues, but it seems it is mostly the cause of all the headache.

Using the CRT is out of the question. Because of practical reasons, it doesn't fit any place in the room which is optimal for viewing movies. It would either be the CRT, or the plasma.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the picture quality on my modern TV? I've read several places that people use DVD players as passthrough for the video signal to improve it. Anyone have any comment on that?

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on improving picture quality
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2015, 21:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

DVDO EDGE has the ADV7800 chip for its 3D comb filter. It is the best one in the market at the moment and I don't expect a newer comb filter design anymore (NTSC is long dead). I haven't opened up one and studied the implementation on the DVDO, it needs extra memory for some of its functions, and don't know what kind of ADC are used on the inputs. ABT2015 SOC on the EDGE is very good for de-interlacing, perhaps the best but its scaling is way to aggressive for LD(or anything really). It causes heavy ringing and amplifies noise. The de-interlacing is aggressive in video mode. The noise reduction and edge enhancement features are very poor and should be avoided.

Now lets talk about the Yamaha 2020. It has an older ADV chip with 2D comb filter. VHD1900 SOC (HQV Vida) is used for processing. This chip is very good for de-interlacing but slightly behind ABT2015 in weird anime cadences. Its scaling is much more natural and has very little ringing. The noise reduction is among the good ones.

Panasonic plasma is a terrific display. When well calibrated, it can best most displays out there today. Panasonic scaling is also on the aggressive side but not as bad as DVDO.

My recommendation is

Pioneer HLD-X9 -> Composite out -- Y noise reduction set to 0, C noise reduction 2 or 3 notch, all other set to 0 -> connected to DVDO Edge
DVDO EDGE -- All noise reduction, enhancement set to 0, output set to 480p which disables its scaling but using its de-interlacing -> connected Yamaha 2020 via HDMI.
Yamaha 2020 -- All enhancement and noise reduction set to off. On very noisy titles, use DNR up to mid setting. set output to 1080p - > connected to Panny plasma.
Panny VT60 -- All noise reduction, enhancement, contrast boost, etc disabled and set to off.

You can calibrate contrast and brightness for the LD input on the DVDO Edge as well. Make sure sharpness is set to 0 on both TV and DVDO. Above settings should yield the best picture.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 00:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thanks for the input on the matter! I'll test out what you suggested tomorrow and see how it goes. There are so many settings that it is easy to get lost. I'm quite sure I've turned off everything in the receiver and TV, but I'll double check that.

I'm going to replace the plasma screen soon. My father used it and passed out drunk with the desktop image from a computer left on. It has burn-in and I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of it, but to no use. Seems like the local retailer don't have any Panasonic TVs any longer. Have to drive to the city and check their selection on plasma TVs.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 03:21 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Panasonic stopped making plasma TV's in March 2014. Samsung has as well. I don't think you can really get a plasma TV anymore.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 05:42 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

samaron wrote:
Video game systems or computers can often have bad dot crawl in the picture. Composite and s-video output produce a lot of rainbow colors in the picture, escpecially when there is movement.

And that's one of the reasons why you should always use RGB whenever possible. For optimal results on a modern display with retro consoles I'd say get an XRGB-Mini or wait for the DIY converter from that Finnish guy on shmups forum.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 09:20 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I tried now as you suggested, substance. Still no improvement what so ever. As before, it has crazy rainbow colors when using composite. I adjusted the Y/C thing in the player, but nothing affected it. When using s-video I can see differences when adjusting the settings. I also looked for such settings in the DVDO, Yamaha and Panasonic, but couldn't find anything... Besides that, everything else in the receiver and TV is turned off and set as you suggested.

I also forgot to mention that I have some crazy twitching in the top 25% of the picture. When the player displays "Play" "Stop" etc, that is where the twiching starts and is barely visible in the letters. It doesn't happen during playback of a movie, but if I hit the trick play and go frame by frame, it shows too. Why is that? It isn't only this player, a previous DVL player and LD-S9 also did the same thing.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 11:45 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

samaron wrote:
Thanks for the input on the matter! I'll test out what you suggested tomorrow and see how it goes. There are so many settings that it is easy to get lost. I'm quite sure I've turned off everything in the receiver and TV, but I'll double check that.

I'm going to replace the plasma screen soon. My father used it and passed out drunk with the desktop image from a computer left on. It has burn-in and I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of it, but to no use. Seems like the local retailer don't have any Panasonic TVs any longer. Have to drive to the city and check their selection on plasma TVs.

Bought my Panasonic plasma screen in 2009, still going strong being used with various content.
If I were you, I would keep the plasma screen in case one day there will be an actual fix that can recover and eliminate future burn-in to extended its life.

Here another day, I read about a norwegian guy who had bought an LG OLED flat screen and after low hours of use, he suffered burn-in that didn't go away. LG wouldn't accept this as a warranty issue, but in the end they had to repair the screen. Whether this actually is a one time incident and lack of quality by LG, burn-in is not a thing of the past and still a problem, remains to be seen.

OLED nightmare (article in norwegian)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2015, 12:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I filmed the TV screen. Everything is set up (as close as possible) after what substance recommended. It is not optimal because of screen flicker and you can't really see all the details, but you get the idea of what is going on. Composite doesn't seem to be filtered at all, and s-video is a lot better, but not perfect either.

Links for the video files:
COMPOSITE
S-VIDEO

EDIT: Did some more trial and error testing, hooked up composite direct to my TV and this was the result:
DIRECT TO TV COMPOSITE

The twitching I described earlier is also gone from the picture.

I also did one where I connected the DVDO directly to the TV with HDMI, bypassing the receiver. The player is connected through composite to the DVDO:
DVDO DIRECT TO TV

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 02:14 
Honest fan
Honest fan

It's clear from the above clips that the Edge Green only has a 2D Comb Filter.

I own both an HLD-X9 and a Panasonic VT60 Plasma (VT65 in the UK) and the zone plate test results you're getting are exactly what I'd expect. You will always see rainbowing during movement on the zone plate test.

The VT60 has a slightly superior 3D Comb Filter to the X9. However, I find that deinterlacing from the VT60 introduces too much softness into the picture, meaning that a direct composite connection isn't an option. I prefer to use the the X9's S-Video output, which I run through a Time Base Corrector to eliminate the jitter and loss of sync you described. I then feed S-video out from the TBC to a Yamaha RX-A1030 AVR for deinterlacing, and the Yamaha outputs 480p over HDMI for upscaling by the VT60. This is far from the ideal set-up, but without spending thousands on a Lumagen or another expensive video processor, it might be as good as it gets for me.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 02:29 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
I'm going to replace the plasma screen soon. My father used it and passed out drunk with the desktop image from a computer left on. It has burn-in and I have tried all sorts of things to get rid of it, but to no use.

Have you tried running this pattern at maximum contrast for several hours at a time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4q2rzx ... =2&list=WL

I find it far more effective at removing image retention than the VT60's own screen wipe. That's assuming what you have is image retention rather than permanent burn-in, which would be highly unusual on a modern plasma, even at high contrast settings with the pixel orbiter switched off.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 10:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can only speak from my own experience but I'm very happy with the result I'm getting feeding the composite output from the X9 through a DVDO Duo straight into the projector. I don't pass through my AV Amp as it's pre-HDMI so the DVDO functions as my switcher too.

While the s-video of the X9 is very sharp and clear I found the mitsubishi filter in it suffers some awful motion artefacts in the picture that I just couldn't live with. The DVDO managed to eliminate those and virtually all dot-crawl while maintaining the sharpness I like. Very occasionally on certain material I've noticed some slight rain-bowing - not sure if it was also there before or just that the other issues I was having outweighed it so much that it went unnoticed.

It does seem from the videos that the comb filter in your DVDO is causing some serious rainbow issues. I don't yet have a copy of video essentials (currently sitting in an office in Japan waiting for a few more discs to accumulate before I ship). I really doubt it will reveal rain-bowing issues like you have, but even if it does I'll stick with my setup as is because it's definitely the best result with 'real world' material I've achieved. Will let you know the result on that when the video essentials finally arrives.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2015, 11:10 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tony426 wrote:
It's clear from the above clips that the Edge Green only has a 2D Comb Filter.

I own both an HLD-X9 and a Panasonic VT60 Plasma (VT65 in the UK) and the zone plate test results you're getting are exactly what I'd expect. You will always see rainbowing during movement on the zone plate test.

The VT60 has a slightly superior 3D Comb Filter to the X9. However, I find that deinterlacing from the VT60 introduces too much softness into the picture, meaning that a direct composite connection isn't an option. I prefer to use the the X9's S-Video output, which I run through a Time Base Corrector to eliminate the jitter and loss of sync you described. I then feed S-video out from the TBC to a Yamaha RX-A1030 AVR for deinterlacing, and the Yamaha outputs 480p over HDMI for upscaling by the VT60. This is far from the ideal set-up, but without spending thousands on a Lumagen or another expensive video processor, it might be as good as it gets for me.

Yes, this filter isn't any good. If it has the latest generation comb filter available, it certainly doesn't do what it is capable of.

I expect the moving bit to have some rainbowing, but the rest isn't as good as I expect. Doesn't show up too well in the video, as filming a TV screen gives flicker and all that. You don't get all the details. There are also blurry edges, I get halos, a lot of other defects too. Some of it, from what I've read, is caused by the scaling and/or enhancement features. I've turned off as much as possible, but it seems this smart TV still insists on "helping" me improve the picture.

I'm not sure why my picture and sound drops out when using VHS. The culprit is the AVR. I owned a Onkyo earlier, and it were even worse. Got improved with the Yamaha, but still makes VHS unwatchable. The VHS player is the NV-FS200, which has very good TBC. The reason why many people prefer this player when digitizing tapes.

tony426 wrote:
Have you tried running this pattern at maximum contrast for several hours at a time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4q2rzx ... =2&list=WL

I find it far more effective at removing image retention than the VT60's own screen wipe. That's assuming what you have is image retention rather than permanent burn-in, which would be highly unusual on a modern plasma, even at high contrast settings with the pixel orbiter switched off.

I know the difference between burn-in and retention. I have actual burn-in. I've run stuff like that for maybe 40 hours before I gave up. Burn-in isn't a thing of the past. I really don't know where this myth have come from since so many believe it isn't possible anymore. The worst part is that I'm not fault in the burn-in. It is my father, who also strongly believed that it isn't possible to create burn-ins on modern TVs. I told him that if it happens, he will have to buy me a new TV. If it is true that plasma isn't made anymore, then I guess he will have to pay at least double the amount on a LED display to get similar results with the display performance. Really expensive mistake...

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I can only speak from my own experience but I'm very happy with the result I'm getting feeding the composite output from the X9 through a DVDO Duo straight into the projector. I don't pass through my AV Amp as it's pre-HDMI so the DVDO functions as my switcher too.

While the s-video of the X9 is very sharp and clear I found the mitsubishi filter in it suffers some awful motion artefacts in the picture that I just couldn't live with. The DVDO managed to eliminate those and virtually all dot-crawl while maintaining the sharpness I like. Very occasionally on certain material I've noticed some slight rain-bowing - not sure if it was also there before or just that the other issues I was having outweighed it so much that it went unnoticed.

It does seem from the videos that the comb filter in your DVDO is causing some serious rainbow issues. I don't yet have a copy of video essentials (currently sitting in an office in Japan waiting for a few more discs to accumulate before I ship). I really doubt it will reveal rain-bowing issues like you have, but even if it does I'll stick with my setup as is because it's definitely the best result with 'real world' material I've achieved. Will let you know the result on that when the video essentials finally arrives.

Guess the DVDO Duo performs differently. My Edge Green still have dot crawl and those nasty things. I've always been told that composite from the player is by far the best. Hope I'm believed now with my crude video samples. I will have to do some serious re-thinking with my setup. This have bugged me for so many years now. I'm at the point where money isn't an issue, I just want it fixed...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have screen pictures of using these DVD players to eliminate defects in the picture? I've read several places about using a Panasonic DMR-ES25 DVD player, but all the example pictures are deleted. If it doesn't really do much, then I guess I'll be buying one of these expensive Crystalio video processors.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 03:24 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
I'm not sure why my picture and sound drops out when using VHS. The culprit is the AVR. I owned a Onkyo earlier, and it were even worse. Got improved with the Yamaha, but still makes VHS unwatchable. The VHS player is the NV-FS200, which has very good TBC. The reason why many people prefer this player when digitizing tapes.

That's only a line-level TBC correcting internal errors within the VCR. It won't provide a continuous clean signal to the DVDO and doesn't guarantee reliable sync, unlike an external full-frame TBC which does. LD players also have TBCs built-in, but they perform a different function to external TBCs and also fail to provide reliable sync, particularly during still frame and digital effects.

Here's an article explaining what to expect from the different types of TBC:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-r ... -base.html

I also noticed this thread which seems to describe some of the issues you're experiencing, and mentions possible drawbacks from feeding the signal through a DVD Recorder :

LCD TV's & LD Freeze Frame

I don't see any such instability when feeding the X9's S-Video signal through an external TBC, but I certainly had problems when the X9 was connected directly to my Yamaha AVR. Frequent loss of sync when requesting still frames and occasional loss of sync during playback being the most annoying. The TBC has corrected all of that.

Of course a TBC won't usually remove dot crawl or some of the other analogue video artifacts, and a superior video processor might be the best option for you, or maybe a combination of the two. The DVDO iScan Duo mentioned earlier uses a 3D Comb Filter which is bound to be an improvement on the 2D filter in your Edge Green.

Quote:
I know the difference between burn-in and retention. I have actual burn-in. I've run stuff like that for maybe 40 hours before I gave up. Burn-in isn't a thing of the past. I really don't know where this myth have come from since so many believe it isn't possible anymore. The worst part is that I'm not fault in the burn-in. It is my father, who also strongly believed that it isn't possible to create burn-ins on modern TVs. I told him that if it happens, he will have to buy me a new TV. If it is true that plasma isn't made anymore, then I guess he will have to pay at least double the amount on a LED display to get similar results with the display performance. Really expensive mistake...

I don't doubt that plasma burn-in exists, I was just unclear on whether you were referring to image retention or permanent damage. It sounds like your dad needs to start saving his pennies.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 18:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I see! Thanks for the information, tony426. I'll look into getting an external TBC. I don't really have any issues with the LD player. If I insert some of the rotted discs with heavy distortion, that will cause blackouts. VHS on the other hand does that all the time, unless the tape have a 100% perfect picture. Thought the video processor (DVDO) would fix stuff like that if it is TBC, but guess not.

Seems like the only way around fixing my picture quality issues is an external TBC and much more expensive video processor. Which is most recommended getting, the Lumagen or Crystalio?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 21:05 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
Seems like the only way around fixing my picture quality issues is an external TBC and much more expensive video processor. Which is most recommended getting, the Lumagen or Crystalio?

substance is probably the best person to ask for video processor recommendations because he's tested some of the better ones for himself. It also depends how much you're prepared to spend. The Lumagen 2144 with 4K upscaling has a current asking price of £3250, with the 2124 2K version selling for a mere £2450. Crystalio II you'd be looking at the second hand market and it would only be any use for LaserDisc and VHS. DVDO iScan Duo is discontinued by the manufacturer, but can still be purchased new for a few hundred.

How these processors handle an unstable input signal is another matter. If you upgrade your video processor first and find there's no need for a TBC, then great.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2015, 21:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Yes, it would be used with VHS and laserdisc. No need for any fancy 4k stuff, probably won't be getting any TV that support it soon anyway. My BD player does a really good job with DVDs too. If I have to drop a couple of grand in a proper video processor, then I'll do it. This have been bugging me for a long time now. My problem is analog sources, so want something that handles that well.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 00:05 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

tony426 wrote:
Crystalio II you'd be looking at the second hand market and it would only be any use for LaserDisc and VHS.

Now that is an interesting statement.
You do know the C2 can work with HD signals on input as well?
As well as some other nice gadgets...
It can't do 4k of course!
But saying it can only handle LD and VHS (or SD signals) is a tiny bit wrong.
Wait for substance to clear that mess up.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 01:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Try this thread.

Substance provides an excellent summary of the 3D comb filters and some opinions on the processors if you scroll down to 12 Sept.

http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5552

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 01:18 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Also this:

substance wrote:
Audioboyz, from my research in dvdo iscan duo, I found out that it has the analog devices adv7200 chip for the analog section. If implemented in its full configuration(it needs extra memory), it should have adaptive 3D comb filter which in my opinion is the best.

This implementation is available in lumagen 2143/2144 but it it is a $4000 vp. If iscan duo is implemented right, it would make the best VP for Laserdisc under $500 on used market.

If you have the video essentials disc, can you make a short 1 min clip of the snell wilcox test?

As noted above I've a copy of video essentials 'on the way' so yet to run the test pattern through it.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 01:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

lons_vex wrote:
tony426 wrote:
Crystalio II you'd be looking at the second hand market and it would only be any use for LaserDisc and VHS.

Now that is an interesting statement.
You do know the C2 can work with HD signals on input as well?
As well as some other nice gadgets...
It can't do 4k of course!
But saying it can only handle LD and VHS (or SD signals) is a tiny bit wrong.
Wait for substance to clear that mess up.

It can't handle lossless audio formats such as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio, only has HDMI 1.1 and can't pass 3D signals, so it wouldn't be a great deal of use with a Blu-ray player would it? An old DVD player maybe...

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next