It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:32

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cld-79 problems... Need help!
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 03:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello to everyone here at LDDB, and all Laserdisc enthusiasts!

This is sort of an introduction of sorts, but sadly in the presence of unfortunate circumstances. I have been a Laserdisc collector of sorts for several years now, I bought my first player at 18, which was a DVL-919. It has served me well, but I always recognized its obvious limitations as a Laserdisc player. I did extensive research and decided that a CLD-79 would fit all my needs. After saving funds I decided to search for one, and after several months and after loosing my first two opportunities I finally purchased one on ebay. The seller said the player was fully functional and we arranged to ship it up here to Canada. The player arrived and I must say it was very well packaged, double boxed, tightly packed and cushioned. The player was also in amazing cosmetic condition. Upon my first time turning it on, the door opened and did not sound that well (later found to be a dirty track). I loaded a Laserdisc and it did not clamp and gave me a "U1" code. I have general knowledge of electronics and I decided to open the player and clean the disc clamp/rubber and load belt pulleys (belt appears to be fine, I have ordered a replacement). After that I was able to get it to clamp and play, but the unit still has several issues, mainly audio issues...

I often get distorted Digital audio from Laserdiscs, all Analog audio is fine and I've not had any problems with DTS or AC-3. Oddly some of my discs have never presented the distorted Digital audio whereas others are habitual culprits?

I also notice I occasionally get banding on the video, most notable in dark scenes, it looks like a light band going from top to bottom constantly, similar to what VHS does.

But interestingly enough the video problem gets better or goes away once the player has been on for awhile, same with the distorted Digital audio, although the distorted digital audio seems to be noticeable more frequently.

Issues/additional information:

-Plays CDs fine, clamps everytime, no audio distortion...EVER.
-Still occasionally miss-clamps LDs and gives "U1".
-All other functions work perfectly; side change, pause, DTS/AC-3, chapter search, Analog audio, etc.

Based off of speculation after opening the player (dirty door guides and literal cobwebs), it seems probable that the seller had not used the player in many years and plugged it in and with no Laserdisc tested it with a CD which played, and decided to sell it as "working"

I'm now out a lot of money as I paid good market value for the player, expensive shipping and import taxes. I feel really upset about it as I waited really long to afford and find a CLD-79 and I really find solace in watching my Laserdiscs.

Based on my research I think it might be the "power supply". Any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

,Tyler John Charles

Post subject: Re: Cld-79 problems... Need help!
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 16:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

First off I would ask the seller for help, you were expecting a working player and clearly that is not what you got.

I had same issue with video banding on same player, would go away after a few minutes. Kurtis (resident expert) told me to recap the power supply which I did and it solved the problem. This is not an easy repair though and not one you should be expected to do on a "working" player.

Picture distortion until warm up (CLD-79) problen?

As far as the audio issues (again info from Kurtis) if the digital audio is having issues while the analog audio is fine than the laser is getting weak and will need to be replaced. You can trying finding the RF Level pot on the board and turning it up a bit to see if that solves the problem temporarily, again not something you should have to do on a "working" player.

If I got this on ebay and had to clean it up, replace the belt or pad I would be fine with it, if I got it with the issues you are talking about I would be asking for a refund.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 19:08 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

pbiancardi wrote:
First off I would ask the seller for help, you were expecting a working player and clearly that is not what you got.

I had same issue with video banding on same player, would go away after a few minutes. Kurtis (resident expert) told me to recap the power supply which I did and it solved the problem. This is not an easy repair though and not one you should be expected to do on a "working" player.

Picture distortion until warm up (CLD-79) problen?

As far as the audio issues (again info from Kurtis) if the digital audio is having issues while the analog audio is fine than the laser is getting weak and will need to be replaced. You can trying finding the RF Level pot on the board and turning it up a bit to see if that solves the problem temporarily, again not something you should have to do on a "working" player.

If I got this on ebay and had to clean it up, replace the belt or pad I would be fine with it, if I got it with the issues you are talking about I would be asking for a refund.

I do agree with you 100%, my only issue is even if I return it and get a refund on the sale price I'm still out on shipping and import fees... It's sort of a loss either way. But I am contacting the seller currently.

As well I did try the RF adjustment, and no positive results, and if it were a weak laser wouldn't the CDs have distortion as well?

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 20:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I believe the CD uses a separate laser.

I would request a refund without shipping the unit back, explain that none of this is your fault and you should not be out of pocket anything because the seller sent you a defective item.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 22:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

From the information I have gathered, the CD playback uses the same laser as the LD playback and I only see one laser inside the player.

Interestingly, I've started to notice the digital audio distortion has yet to happen during "Side B" playback (regardless of what side down I load any disc too). It seems to only happen during "Side A" playback and it looks to me if the picture is ever so sightly more stable during "Side B" playback, as apposed to "Side A" playback?

Additionally;

-I have cleaned and re-greased all the laser assembly rails/guides.

-Installed the new loading belt, which has yet to miss-clamp ("U1") again!

Could there still be hope for this Player?..

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 22:40 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

First thing is always the grip ring as you cannot clean one enough to get it to work 100% new. If the banding continues after that then the power supply capacitors.

Ask the seller to pay for the repair.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 23:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

krbahr wrote:
First thing is always the grip ring as you cannot clean one enough to get it to work 100% new. If the banding continues after that then the power supply capacitors.

Ask the seller to pay for the repair.

I did clean the grip ring after the first time it successfully clamped and played a disc, as I noticed it was slipping while trying to stop the disc. It very noticeably helped, the disc stops very quickly now with no noticeable slipping. I wanted to order the grip ring replacement from Pioneer parts, but they only have it on the US site and they wont allow me to make an account with a Canadian address. Which is odd as the website says it ships to some parts of Canada. I don't know exactly how I'm going to get a replacement grip ring up here in Canada.

Would the grip ring or power supply have anything to do with the digital audio issue?

And I am fully prepared to re-cap the Power supply if need be!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 03:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Bad power can cause the audio issue, re-cap it and you should be happy. I can always mail you a grip ring. If interested write me at kbahr@comcast.net to work out the details.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 01:48 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you krbahr for helping me get a new grip ring, cannot wait to install it!

Well here it is, An UPDATE:

The replacement capacitors for the power supply board came today. I replaced all the old ones after work, 16 capacitors in total, which took about a hour and forty-five minutes from the first screw removed to initial testing.

I did a one hour (and on going) burn-in after completion. And I must say...the picture banding is GONE!!! and there is NO digital audio distortion anymore!!! All the issues have disappeared so far, it is looking like this is a successful repair!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 16:02 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

sega_nomad wrote:
Thank you krbahr for helping me get a new grip ring, cannot wait to install it!

Well here it is, An UPDATE:

The replacement capacitors for the power supply board came today. I replaced all the old ones after work, 16 capacitors in total, which took about a hour and forty-five minutes from the first screw removed to initial testing.

I did a one hour (and on going) burn-in after completion. And I must say...the picture banding is GONE!!! and there is NO digital audio distortion anymore!!! All the issues have disappeared so far, it is looking like this is a successful repair!

Nice work. That same job took me about 2 weeks :) but it did work.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]