Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Home theater advice?
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2016, 20:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am (finally) working on a "dedicated" home theater room. :thumbup:
No projection plans but planning for a bigger screen UHD Panasonic
For now I have a 6.1 setup.

At the moment I'm using DM604s3 as front L+R speakers along with the center LCR600s3 unit.
Since I have the opportunity to multiply the speaker setup I've been :think: about using another DM604s3 B&W floorstanding pair as a surround speaker set.
Using a modest pair of dm600s3 surround speakers since they don't take up a lot of room in the current setup. they are amazing little speakers btw! they sound BIG :thumbup:
For surround back I'm currently using a small lcr300 B&w speaker. it was a practical choice once!

Idea would be:

Dm604s3 Front channels
LCR600s3 Center channel
Dm604s3 Surround speakers ( just an idea for now) it would be a very practical choice anyway!
Dm600s3 Surround back speakers (since I wouldn't dream selling them) Planning on integrating these against the back wall.

Good idea or not? using floorstanders for surround? how about positioning these?

I've located a mint set of DM604s3 speakers since they're OOP for some years now. These speakers are superb value for money! still hold up to this day against others.

Any thoughts? :idea: welcome!

The new man cave is going to be fun constructing. Contracter building custom sized clossets for all LD, dvd, BR discs. 32 ft of closed cabinets and about 6 ft high. The attic in the new home will be used at it's full potential. Planning on using every single corner for storage space.
throw in some led's here and there... can't wait to see the finished result in about 2.5 month :thumbdown:
Superb chance to integrate all connections needed trough the dry walls. I'm putting enough cable in there :clap:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

Post subject: Re: Home theater advice?
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2016, 18:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sounds really cool. You should post some pictures, I would love to see the build process. I built my own home theater room a couple of years ago and it was a fun project. Best thing we ever did with the house.

I think the choices for the speakers are fine. It's always going to be a question of budget vs performance. There is nothing wrong with using floor standing speakers for surrounds. Matter of fact, ideally all the surrounds can be the same speaker, the less variance you have between each channel position the better. What are you using for the sub? That's going to be an important speaker as well so don't skimp on it.

Best of luck and look forward to seeing the end product.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 20:49 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Own a solid working kenwood Bass reflex subwoofer for 15 years now. It is a superb unit but it's time for something new now.

Since I'm moving I was :think: about replacing it and also upgrade to 7.2 system...

Subs are tricky... B&W is one of my favorite brands... the ASW-610XP comes to mind :think:

any advice on what to get would be appreciated.
I'm keeping my 604 s3 series speakers anyway.
Convinced about getting a 2nd pair of dm604s3 speakers. They're are getting more expensive these days even used!

work should start in the next 2 weeks....
cleaned out the old house in the last few weeks. It's been in the family for 125 years... believe me, it needs an upgrade :crazy: :lol:

so much to do , so little time 8-)
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2016, 21:27 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There are tons of options for speakers so It's hard to make a single recommendation. I would suggest looking at a Hsu Research subs. They give great bang for the buck. I use the VTF-15H and I think it competes with subs that are in the $2-3k range. It also has plenty of power so you could probably get away with one. My hometheater room is about 500 sq feet and I like my bass and have it turned up higher than a normal frequency curve would recommend and it's still set to about 1/3rd max volume.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 20:54 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Getting there :thumbup:

Attachments:
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG [ 76.22 KiB | Viewed 8413 times ]
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 20:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Thank you Ikea Sweden :thumbup:

Attachments:
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG [ 70.83 KiB | Viewed 8412 times ]
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 21:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

And there :lol: was light

Attachments:
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG [ 59.16 KiB | Viewed 8412 times ]
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2017, 21:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

:)

Attachments:
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG [ 65.68 KiB | Viewed 8412 times ]
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2017, 04:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I think speaker placement in a home theater can be challenging, especially when it has a dual purpose for movies and or for music, both are mixed slightly differently. I have experienced this myself recently and I find it frustrating.

Music is generally simple, for stereo you want equal distances between the speakers and the listener, the sweet spot.

Movies have a lot more to tend with. For mono movies you want your center channel speaker as close to the screen as possible for obvious reasons, in a perfect world it would be behind the screen. For stereo or surround you would want the front left and right front as close to your screen as possible, and here's why. Most stereo movies were mixed with the movie theater in mind and those speakers along with the center speaker were behind the screen. What you don't want is sound, usually dialogue, coming from the corner of the room when it's should be coming from the person talking in the movie.

Anybody else with similar thoughts?

Good luck.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 04:17 
True fan
True fan

The room looks really nice kris, shaping up quite nicely. One thing I did notice was a lot of hard surfaces. I think some well placed wall panels at the first reflection of the fronts and an area rug will pay great benefits. To place the panels have a helper walk along the side walls with a mirror. When you can see your front speakers in the mirror mark that spot on the wall. That is were you want to put some sort of sound dampening material. Room treatments are one of the most often overlooked.aspects of a HT room but will have a maximum benefit per $ spent.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 12:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Hey Kris,

Well done Friend.

Looks well cosy keep posting and sharing with us here,

Kind regards

:wave:

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 17:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

:think: about adding some kind of carpet and accoustic materials....
So much to do so little time :lol:
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 19:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Nice little attic compartment you've got there. I imagine it will be very much fun using it as well as building it all by yourself.
Where are you going to "hide" all the players you have in storage? :)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 21:28 
True fan
True fan

Guys I have the following technical question about surround.

I am planning to purchase a soundbar ( 5.1 channel ) that only Supports Dolby Digital and regular DTS ( it only has optical in for digital audio ).

Dolby True HD & DTS master audio can only be transmitted over HDMI.

Will Dolby True HD be downscaled to regular Dolby Digital and will DTS master audio will go to regular DTS ? Or will I be stuck with just 2 channels ( basic digital sound ) ?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 21:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

What does it matter? A sound bar is going to be 2.0 channels regardless of what you feed into it (most likely with some onboard processing as well). If you are really going with a soundbar I would try to go with the highest quality possible, but whether the original content is 2 channel, 6 channel, DTS, Dolby TrueHD,.... doesn't really matter at this point as you are not going to get the sound as it was designed when mixed and it most likely will be processed by the soundbar so the signal won't even be maintained.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 23:58 
True fan
True fan

invenio wrote:
What does it matter? A sound bar is going to be 2.0 channels regardless of what you feed into it (most likely with some onboard processing as well). If you are really going with a soundbar I would try to go with the highest quality possible, but whether the original content is 2 channel, 6 channel, DTS, Dolby TrueHD,.... doesn't really matter at this point as you are not going to get the sound as it was designed when mixed and it most likely will be processed by the soundbar so the signal won't even be maintained.

I specifically stated that the soundbar system I want to get is 5.1 surround ( it has front centre. left right speaker integrated in to one bar and it has stand alone rear speakers ).

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 00:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

therussian wrote:
invenio wrote:

I specifically stated that the soundbar system I want to get is 5.1 surround ( it has front centre. left right speaker integrated in to one bar and it has stand alone rear speakers ).

Forgive me, I think I am confused. A soundbar is a single speaker that "simulates" surround sound. If you have independent speakers (ie, more than the one center), then it's not really a soundbar setup by classical definition. If you have rear speakers then you have a 3.0 setup (although not in a common configuration).

I have to ask, if you have the space for independent speakers, why are you looking for a soundbar? A soundbar is kind of the lowest level setup when you can't even get a 2.0 setup. The advantage is that there is only one speaker so it's easier to implement, less wires, less space taken up by speakers, etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 01:19 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I hate my soundbar, but the built in speakers for my TV are so poor that I can't hear basic news etc.
So I need the soundbar for that.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 01:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

A soundbar is certainly going to be a good upgrade from the speakers in the TV. If you have two regular speakers (you mentioned using rear's with the soundbar), you may want to ditch the soundbar and go with a standard 2.0 setup. All things being equal, a 2.0 setup is better than a soundbar.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 02:03 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

therussian wrote:
Guys I have the following technical question about surround.

I am planning to purchase a soundbar ( 5.1 channel ) that only Supports Dolby Digital and regular DTS ( it only has optical in for digital audio ).

Dolby True HD & DTS master audio can only be transmitted over HDMI.

Will Dolby True HD be downscaled to regular Dolby Digital and will DTS master audio will go to regular DTS ? Or will I be stuck with just 2 channels ( basic digital sound ) ?

Unfortunately it won't and most likely you will get just two channel PCM if you are running your source components to the TV first and then use an optical or coaxial digital output from the TV to the Sound Bar.

If you run an optical or coaxial digital output directly from a Blu-Ray / DVD player or game systems w/ those outputs, you will get the Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS from the source component.

invenio wrote:
A soundbar is certainly going to be a good upgrade from the speakers in the TV. If you have two regular speakers (you mentioned using rear's with the soundbar), you may want to ditch the soundbar and go with a standard 2.0 setup. All things being equal, a 2.0 setup is better than a soundbar.

I just recently built the most low cost home theater and it fits great w/ my small space.

I purchased a used Sony, SDP-E800, DD processor that (of course) has no amps and I ended up finding a stored 5.1 PC speaker system in my garage (belonged to my brother in law who wasn't using it) and hooked it up w/ it. The front speakers blend in well w/ my bookshelf and I just placed the surrounds on nearby tables. Total cost of the set-up was about $67 and I should add that the processor has an AC3-RF input (how much do standalone AC3-RF Demodulators go for...? :thumbdown: ) so I hooked up my newly modded LD player to get 5.1.

Couldn't ask for a better set-up on the cheap. :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next