It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:33

Page 5 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: NEO GEO (Owners Only)
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 09:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
tasuke wrote:
i was only ever able to get around to acquiring five titles for my AES before "Values" on just about every other title i was ever remotely interested in
began to hit full Impulse Power straight for Pluto.

oh well, at least i was able to get some of the very core AES essentials. even so, i cannot truly enjoy either of "Nakoruru's Games"
since either of them, in their standard MVS difficulty level, are just WAY TOO DAMNED HARD for me to ever get very far on;

I came within 350 points of the world record score for Samurai Shodown II at The Galloping Ghost Arcade. It's my favorite 2D fighting game of all time, so I was a little pissed not to get it!!

Set to free play for $20 a day?! Not surprised you got good!

That arcade looks awesome by the way

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 10:34 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Quote:
I think I want a "pure" AES experience. Pure as in it's just AES carts with a single game on them being used that were actually available on AES

That 's exactly what i intended and I even accepted the high prices for some Games.
When I started again with NEO GEO I did not care about the prices, I was ready to pay any price.

For me it was clear I am collecting for the AES.
I have always considered buying an MVS Converter, but I have often read that graphics errors and scaling problems can occur.
That always kept me from buying one.

Anyone seriously considering starting with NEO GEO should buy a Consolized MVS,
I know a CMVS may be more expensive than an AES but it really depends on the games.

There are people willing to pay several thousand dollars for an AES game,
they can do it, but I've found a better way for me to enjoy legendary games like Metal Slug X without spending tons of money.
The games are much cheaper on the MVS and that is good.

Sometimes i believe that there are people who do not know or understand that the AES and MVS games are identical from the chips.

It's just the appearance, the cartridge looks different but the guts are the same!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 15:47 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Are there seriously people who don’t know that and are spending thousands per game? I’ve never met one and I’ve met a lot of Neo maniacs. The identical nature of AES to MVS ROM data is very well known. That’s why emulators play both versions. That’s why “converted” carts exist. That’s why the UNIBIOS works. It’s a fundamental aspect to the design of Neo Geo. They litterally made a console out of an arcade machine to avoid any dilution of the game. You’d have to do basically zero research on Neo to not know that and nobody should be spending that kind of money without knowing more about the stuff they are spending it on, IMO.

Btw, I don’t see my last post in this topic so there’s a good chance this one will get 1984-ed too. We’ll see. I find that sort of thing to be very disingenuous, undemocratic, and cowardly.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 15:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

forper wrote:
elahrairrah wrote:
tasuke wrote:
i was only ever able to get around to acquiring five titles for my AES before "Values" on just about every other title i was ever remotely interested in
began to hit full Impulse Power straight for Pluto.

oh well, at least i was able to get some of the very core AES essentials. even so, i cannot truly enjoy either of "Nakoruru's Games"
since either of them, in their standard MVS difficulty level, are just WAY TOO DAMNED HARD for me to ever get very far on;

I came within 350 points of the world record score for Samurai Shodown II at The Galloping Ghost Arcade. It's my favorite 2D fighting game of all time, so I was a little pissed not to get it!!

That arcade is awesome. There are getting to be a nice selection of flat rate vintage arcades in the US but Ghost is one of the best. There is a place near me called The Arcade that is pretty great. They have stuff going back to my earliest memories of arcades and in better condition than I’ve ever seen them.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 16:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

forper wrote:

Actually that was my fist and only visit to that arcade (I was Chicago on business--I live rather far away in Pennsylvania.)

Just that I LOVE that freakin' game. I bought a Neo Geo CD specifically for that game since I couldn't get my hands on the super rare Samurai Spirits 1&2 pack for the PSX (and I couldn't afford an AES system or the game itself back then.)

I did eventually get an AES, but sold it since I couldn't afford the games I wanted. I still have the Samurai Shodown II cart though!

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 05:12 
True fan
True fan

I own a one slot Neo-Geo MVS board and currently one game for it, Samurai Shodown. This and another JAMMA PCB, Empire City: 1931, were two recent birthday presents of mine.

I like it so far and all, but the main reason I got it is for Neo Turf Masters. That's probably one of my top favorite arcade games, and hopefully I'll get it sometime soon-ish. I'd gladly trade Samurai Shodown for it.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2021, 23:04 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

After many years of collecting parts and sitting on them, this year I finally completed my Super Duper Super Gun/MVS in a Can. Here is a video of me showing it.

The goal was to make playing arcade boards without a cabinet safe for the board and the user, all ages, etc.

To celebrate I bought a Guatemalan copy of KOF 2001 for $55 (shipped!) which should be here soon. I wasn't a big fan of this game when it came out and its easily my least played KOF so this should be very fun. Until then I've been playing some sports games. I somehow lost my copy of Super Baseball 2020 which really bugs me because I love that game and also...how does one loose a friggn MVS cart? They are huge!

Street Slam: a hand drawn knock-off of NBA Jam who's main distinguishing feature is that its 3-on-3. I like what's here but its not that flashy compared to Baseball Stars 2 or whatever, almost no ending, lots of identical players, etc. I still like it a lot though, especially versus.

Super Sidekicks 3: At the time a very old fashioned looking soccer game that has aged massively better than FIFA or whatever. I can actuality see what I'm doing, which is more than I can say for anything on "Next Gen" hardware from the period. Gameplay is surprisingly sophisticated, lots of cool tackle animations, great ball control, but again its kind of weak on the arcade-grade flourish you'd see from other Neo games.

In other SNK news, I got one of those NGP backlights. I'll mention it here when I get around to installing it.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2021, 16:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i was intending to add several more titles to the collection, and then calling it good at that,
but things got in the way for a few years, and, before i knew it, pricing had gone all to hell.

oh well, i do have a pretty solid-if-utterly-basic little NEO collection in the end, which is certainly much better than nothing...

Last edited by tasuke on 13 Jun 2021, 13:22, edited 1 time in total. _________________
* PIONEER CLD-3030 Compatible LDP (1988) (( http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3094 ))

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2021, 05:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

You made pretty much the same post back on page 4.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2021, 13:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

well Damn, you're right. i need my head examined...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 06:53 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Own a AES, but the previous owner swapped in a Japanese BIOS, a detail he failed to mention when he sold the system to me. So even though my only two games are both US/NA releases, they only display Japanese text. (sigh)
Also have a NGPC, and a nice little collection of fourteen games for it.

Prices are way to high on most everything video gaming now. I'm actually considering selling some of the games for some of the platforms in my collection just because I may never get the sort of money they're presently commanding ever again.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 14:52 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

All of this time period pop culture is stupid crazy now, I only wish I had stuff to cash in now rather than when I did.

As for Neo Geo I think I posted in the past, Sengoku II is one of my all time favorite scrolling fighting game, had other
Jamma boards of Double Dragon II and even some Capcom stuff but always went to Sengoku II.

Samurai Showdown stuff was fun but never as good as SF, SF is the top diamond standard and nothing else even gets close, unless you count
some of the KOF stuff that was much later.

Bomberman was a fun Neogeo game.
Again I only ever had the MVS not home system.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 21:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Super Turbo is like chess, but KOF is like Warhammer 40k. Sometimes you want one, sometimes the other.

Page 5 of 5 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5