It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:58

Page 1 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Disney Will Never Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 04:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stick to your Laserdiscs!

Disney Will Never Alter or Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy
Star Wars: Lucasfilm Has No Plans to Restore Theatrical Cuts of Original Trilogy

Julien

Post subject: Re: Disney Will Never Restore Original Star Wars Trilogy
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have done and will do! My LDs have always been the final perfect versions to me. The cuts I remember from the '80s and superlative sound which is SO important to Star Wars.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 10:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

I don't care for disney :thumbdown: it might turn out to be a star wars near field and this how I feel about hollywood sound editors recording mixers bluray crap

sick and tired of hollywood mixers near field mixing so there remix near filed crap is gonna go into the cat litter why should I listen to these oscar crap mixes if no theatrical its near field carp garbage sound mixing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHtG7EPkLyg

LASERDISC ONLY!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 12:33 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Stuff disney mary sue star wars films. :thumbdown:

I'd rather watch a chimpanzee washing a cat than disney star wars jedi last?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1gnjJbUhc&t=6s

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 14:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I gave away the 2006 GOUT DVDs to a friend years ago so he can give his father the unaltered original trilogy for Christmas. These DVDs now go for ridiculous prices, and did so then, so my gift was more from the heart. I don't own any Star Wars LaserDiscs, so I did something most Star Wars fans here wouldn't do. That being said, I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I do appreciate the films for what they did to the industry.

The 1993 Definitive Collection masters from the last unaltered OT LaserDiscs and the GOUT DVDs don't really do anything for me. All the DVNR and smearing artifacts probably aren't bothersome on a mid-range player hooked up via composite or S-Video on a 1990s CRT, but on DVD's component video it looks odd. And I'd wager age hardly has anything to do with it. The OT clips featured on the THX Wow LD, despite being cropped to 2.2:1, are sharper, and look closer to DVD when passed through a comb filter (in this case my Panny LX-600 to my Toshiba DRW2), and that was first pressed in 1990.

I find it ironic when laserbite cries foul on the possibility of a near-field Disney UOT when the Definitive Collection (and some 80s/early-90s releases) is/are essentially near-field. Hint hint, the DC mixes have added sound effects, like glass shattering that wasn't there before in ANH. Granted, it's nowhere near as egregious as the alterations from 1997 and after, but it's not the bee's knees in purist standards. Also the DC LaserDisc set has been known for many issues during its run.

As far as LDs go, I've heard the Japanese Special Collection sets from the late-80s to be among the best. CAV, no edge enhancement, no DVNR, just a straight, balanced print telecine with Japanese subtitles below the picture. They seem to go for crazy prices too, but outside the world of LaserDiscs are Harmy's Despecialized Editions. They're reconstructions of the original theatrical cuts using a variety of sources, such as film scans, broadcast masters and recordings, the 2011 Blu-rays, et cetera, and the final product is almost seamless. They also have plenty of audio options to choose from, like a 70mm 'baby boom' remix, the 35mm Dolby Stereo, the Mono mix, 1980s video remixes, 1993 DC mixes, and different foreign-language dubs. Of course, they aren't authorized, but Harmy suggests you shouldn't have a legal problem if you own the 2011 Blu-ray set. I've been happy with that for a couple of years now.

There's also a "Silver Screen Edition" of ANH. It's basically a scan from different 35mm prints of the original 1977 cut. There was some controversy around the fan preservation community surrounding how the people behind this version, Team Negative_1, got access to these prints with legal complications. They disbanded shortly after the SSE's release but I don't know if they reformed since.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 14:20 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

sega3dmm wrote:
I gave away the 2006 GOUT DVDs to a friend years ago so he can give his father the unaltered original trilogy for Christmas. These DVDs now go for ridiculous prices, and did so then, so my gift was more from the heart. I don't own any Star Wars LaserDiscs, so I did something most Star Wars fans here wouldn't do. That being said, I'm not a Star Wars fan, but I do appreciate the films for what they did to the industry.

The 1993 Definitive Collection masters from the last unaltered OT LaserDiscs and the GOUT DVDs don't really do anything for me. All the DVNR and smearing artifacts probably aren't bothersome on a mid-range player hooked up via composite or S-Video on a 1990s CRT, but on DVD's component video it looks odd. And I'd wager age hardly has anything to do with it. The OT clips featured on the THX Wow LD, despite being cropped to 2.2:1, are sharper, and look closer to DVD when passed through a comb filter (in this case my Panny LX-600 to my Toshiba DRW2), and that was first pressed in 1990.

I find it ironic when laserbite cries foul on the possibility of a near-field Disney UOT when the Definitive Collection (and some 80s/early-90s releases) is/are essentially near-field. Hint hint, the DC mixes have added sound effects, like glass shattering that wasn't there before in ANH. Granted, it's nowhere near as egregious as the alterations from 1997 and after, but it's not the bee's knees in purist standards. Also the DC LaserDisc set has been known for many issues during its run.

As far as LDs go, I've heard the Japanese Special Collection sets from the late-80s to be among the best. CAV, no edge enhancement, no DVNR, just a straight, balanced print telecine with Japanese subtitles below the picture. They seem to go for crazy prices too, but outside the world of LaserDiscs are Harmy's Despecialized Editions. They're reconstructions of the original theatrical cuts using a variety of sources, such as film scans, broadcast masters and recordings, the 2011 Blu-rays, et cetera, and the final product is almost seamless. They also have plenty of audio options to choose from, like a 70mm 'baby boom' remix, the 35mm Dolby Stereo, the Mono mix, 1980s video remixes, 1993 DC mixes, and different foreign-language dubs. Of course, they aren't authorized, but Harmy suggests you shouldn't have a legal problem if you own the 2011 Blu-ray set. I've been happy with that for a couple of years now.

There's also a "Silver Screen Edition" of ANH. It's basically a scan from different 35mm prints of the original 1977 cut. There was some controversy around the fan preservation community surrounding how the people behind this version, Team Negative_1, got access to these prints with legal complications. They disbanded shortly after the SSE's release but I don't know if they reformed since.

I'm considering throwing star wars '97 THX AC-3 LD cgi crap into the cat litter now.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:25 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

Bleep star wars I can't stand it no more. In the cat litter with this rubbish! :x

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:46 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Oh schiznich, you know its bad when Laserbite is tossing LDs into the litter.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 15:51 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I'm pretty sure Andy's (laserbite's) furbabies have been utterly confused for the past few days.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 19:46 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The "Special Collection" CAV Japanese editions are probably the best versions IMO. However, the prints they used were generally garbage. I simply cannot deal with all of the "fixes" done for the THX sets. The list of complaints over the THX CAV "Definitive" collection is long, and I don't know how much of it got fixed for the "Faces" editions.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 23:03 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

blam1 wrote:
The "Special Collection" CAV Japanese editions are probably the best versions IMO. However, the prints they used were generally garbage. I simply cannot deal with all of the "fixes" done for the THX sets. The list of complaints over the THX CAV "Definitive" collection is long, and I don't know how much of it got fixed for the "Faces" editions.

Most people I've discussed with seem to be the complete opposite. They dislike the JSC discs because they do not have DNR, EE and all that jazz. First problem people mention is the film grain (second is often the Japanese subtitles). I usually end up getting told I'm wrong with suggesting the JSC discs would be the preferred releases for a purist. Guess people have different tastes to how it should look, and us sticking with the JSC discs are a minority.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 23:46 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Jsc has other issues as well and its not the grain. DE are good. Faces have more smeary dnr. I am torn between jsc and de. On all versions, there is aliasing on a number of scenes. I actually like the cbs versions. They are in between Jsc and De and in clv format. When your main player is single sided, you kinda grow to clv versions.

You either have to live with the subpar representation in LD or changes in the Blur-ays.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 00:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Have anyone seen the TeamNegative1 Silver Screen Edition? The fan-made restoration from old prints. It supposedly even has the original text crawl that just says "Star Wars", no "A New Hope" and such which were added to the home video releases. This isn't the same as the de-specialized version which uses the blu-ray as the main source and splice in unaltered scenes from other sources.

Either way I guess there is no perfect solution that would satisfy everyone. The fan restored version probably isn't from a flawless print, but it probably is as close to (if not exactly like) the theatrical version one can get in HD. Everyone I know personally are just fine with the new blu-ray discs. They have never given it thought that they are altered in any way.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 00:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

samaron wrote:
Have anyone seen the TeamNegative1 Silver Screen Edition? The fan-made restoration from old prints. It supposedly even has the original text crawl that just says "Star Wars", no "A New Hope" and such which were added to the home video releases. This isn't the same as the de-specialized version which uses the blu-ray as the main source and splice in unaltered scenes from other sources.

Either way I guess there is no perfect solution that would satisfy everyone. The fan restored version probably isn't from a flawless print, but it probably is as close to (if not exactly like) the theatrical version one can get in HD. Everyone I know personally are just fine with the new blu-ray discs. They have never given it thought that they are altered in any way.

Fan restored edition is probably very good. But it is burned on a disc or just a mkv file. My ocd says it must be printed on a disc and must have fox/disney logo in it. You see what I mean? ;)

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 01:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

samaron wrote:
Have anyone seen the TeamNegative1 Silver Screen Edition? [...]

I have that on an HDD on a thrift store-purchased Gateway FX PC that I was going to use as a media server. The server idea was hardly realized, it overheats a lot and I now keep it as a surrogate machine for spare parts.

When it did work, I compared the SSE to the DSE at some point. What I noticed was, in the wide shot of Leia and R2 after she gives him the Death Star plans (about 5 minutes in the DSE) the red light fixture on Leia is crushed to a big red blob whereas there was much more detail in the SSE. I think the SSE had less intensive cropping as the DSE/Blu-ray, and I believe that shot as it appears in the DSE is from the Blu-ray.

Of course, grain structure is cleaner on the Blu-ray than the SSE, due to the former being scanned from the original negative, while the SSE is generations removed.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 05:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

They'll do it in 2027 for the 50th, especially if Lucas has died by then.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 10:47 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I'm really happy with my DE LDs. Sound doesn't seem to be a problem, it blows me away. In may not be the theatrical version of ANH but on my CRT it looks like I remember the movies on home video and TV from the 80s but better, no CGI, just costumes and models, perfect to me..gave that old feeling after a long time when I got them maybe 5 years back..when I watched SE I felt hollow inside and used...

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 15:11 
Honest fan
Honest fan

The Definitive Collection set isn't bad, per se. It's not perfect, but it gets annoying when UOT fans declare they are the highest-quality copies of the UOT out there when there are obvious problems with it, especially after 24 years.

There aren't any perfect transfers of the UOT that exist. From dirty prints, to shrinking ratios, from four-eyed troopers to breaking glass, from hodgepodge Frankensteins to lower-generation scans. It's quite an odyssey to find the one that suits you.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 15:37 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have episodes 4, 5, and 6 on CED. 4 is copyrighted 1977, 5 is copyrighted 1984 and 6 is copyrighted 1983. Are these 3 episodes as close to the original theatrical releases as you can get? Based on their copyright dates, the 3 cannot have been "monkeyed" with by Lucas.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 15:44 
Honest fan
Honest fan

According to the LDDb, the CED releases should be from as early as 1982-1986. Aside from the "Episode IV" crawl, the pan-and-scan, and the slightly faster speed to compress time, they should be pretty close to the original.

Page 1 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next