It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 03:59

Page 2 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 08:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I haven't even seen it and I already agree with you Confederate. I will avoid Blade Runner 2049 at all costs and never watch.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 09:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

forper wrote:
I will avoid Blade Runner 2049 at all costs and never watch.

And you will miss one of the most visually beautiful movie of the year.

Julien

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 10:06 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

confederate wrote:
I saw this film in a cinema in Indonesia last month. I have to say that I thought though the film is visually stunning that I thought it was a bit too long. It didn't have to be that long. And one thing that really irritated me is that Harrison Ford had such a small part in it. The promotion made it look as if he was the no 2 protagonist in this film next to Ryan Gosling but he barely had any screen time ! I kind of felt cheated. Yes it was visually stunning but I was a bit irritated by the excessive use of CGI. I still like the original Blade Runner's style way better and it will always be my no 1 favourite sci-fi film of all times. The street scenes in the original film are just so fantastic and so full of wonderful details. The soundtrack in this new film wasn't anything special. I think they should have tried something entirely different instead of trying to emulate Vangelis' style. Overall I think it was a worthy successor to the original however the original will always be the better film of both ( to me ).

Blade Runner 2049 used an extensive amount of miniatures just like the original 1982 movie. It is visually very faithful in style, and being done with mostly practical FX in the CGI dominated movie industry we live in today says a lot about how much the production team behind Blade Runner 2049 felt about creating a worthy follow up.

Look at this video about how the miniature work was done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxxbfsj8IM

&

Look at this Artcle which includes amazing images of the stunning practical FX on Blade Runner 2049 - https://designyoutrust.com/2017/11/this-is-how-the-practical-miniatures-for-blade-runner-2049-were-created/

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 10:12 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
I haven't even seen it and I already agree with you Confederate. I will avoid Blade Runner 2049 at all costs and never watch.

Take off your nostalgic LD glasses and embrace new things, sometimes they turn into gems like Blade Runner 2049 which mind you is full of practical FX miniatures exactly like the orignal. Just look at this beautiful crafted work.

Speaking of which have you even seen the Final Cut? Best cut of Blade Runner easily and its not on LD, so once again you are missing out.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 10:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I wasn't expecting much going in but actually quite enjoyed the film, but I do have a lot of problems with the story and execution. The style and visuals were mostly spot on, though I felt the music was lacking (mostly just standard Hans Zimmer droning with riffs on Vangelis). For an almost three hour film the pacing was just perfect though, I was never bored for a moment.

I'm a bit of a heretic in that I think the original Blade Runner is far from perfect but is undoubtedly a visual and aural masterpiece. In that regards I find Blade Runner 2049 to be the perfect sequel.

Alien, I hadn't seen those behind the scenes pictures before, they're really quite impressive. Makes me look forward to the home release so I can get into the making ofs etc.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 01:00 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

I would rethink this. It truly is one of the most unique and beautiful films in the last few years.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 08:29 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

invenio wrote:
forper wrote:

I would rethink this. It truly is one of the most unique and beautiful films in the last few years.

What's the beef ? Why so closed minded people ?
This epic is not one of disney's regurgitated StarWars yarns. Bladerunner 2049 is an epic masterpiece WAY ahead of its time ! (pun intended !)

Denis does not have a proclivity to using CG when he can fabricate physical sets ..... Those pics posted by alien are so telling ......
He goes on record saying how much more compelling and believable the visuals are when mixing actors with physical sets while filming principle photography scenes.

I had to quote invenio's statement about "rethinking" the choice to pass on this installment. This movie has insight as to what direction humanity is heading realistically.
The science fiction of today is the reality of tomorrow ...... Someone famous mentioned this over the years and the phrase has stuck .......
It comes down to this. If you are closed minded and wish a pass on this piece of art, so be it. Just know that you risk missing one hell of a ride into the future ......

On a side note, check out the youtube videos of boston dynamics new generation of biped and quadruped bots. There are autonomous robots still in the r & d phase that will displace many more human jobs in the next few decades then the auto industry bots working everyday folks.

Some of these bots are the stuff of nightmares ! Unlike the A.I. portrayed in the original Terminator movie, the future war bots weapon systems DO NOT MISS THEIR TARGETS. They anticipate what directions their prey will move and fire accordingly ......

I am going out fighting the machines .......

Great thread here .... thanks for those miniatures pics alien !

Cheers to the membership

J

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 09:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Those sets are just an imitation of the original. Look how epic the original models were:

It was just made in a time of creativity and artizans. Anything made now is just a weak attempt to copy it.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 23:30 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
invenio wrote:
forper wrote:

What's the beef ? Why so closed minded people ?
This epic is not one of disney's regurgitated StarWars yarns. Bladerunner 2049 is an epic masterpiece WAY ahead of its time ! (pun intended !)

Denis does not have a proclivity to using CG when he can fabricate physical sets ..... Those pics posted by alien are so telling ......
He goes on record saying how much more compelling and believable the visuals are when mixing actors with physical sets while filming principle photography scenes.

I had to quote invenio's statement about "rethinking" the choice to pass on this installment. This movie has insight as to what direction humanity is heading realistically.
The science fiction of today is the reality of tomorrow ...... Someone famous mentioned this over the years and the phrase has stuck .......
It comes down to this. If you are closed minded and wish a pass on this piece of art, so be it. Just know that you risk missing one hell of a ride into the future ......

On a side note, check out the youtube videos of boston dynamics new generation of biped and quadruped bots. There are autonomous robots still in the r & d phase that will displace many more human jobs in the next few decades then the auto industry bots working everyday folks.

Some of these bots are the stuff of nightmares ! Unlike the A.I. portrayed in the original Terminator movie, the future war bots weapon systems DO NOT MISS THEIR TARGETS. They anticipate what directions their prey will move and fire accordingly ......

I am going out fighting the machines .......

Great thread here .... thanks for those miniatures pics alien !

Cheers to the membership

J

Thanks firehorse_44 & "This epic is not one of disney's regurgitated StarWars yarns. Bladerunner 2049 is an epic masterpiece WAY ahead of its time !" pretty well sums the Blade Runner thing up.

I do remember well (& I feel a bit old now!!!) showing the feature when it was first released back in 1982 - rather mediocre returns & very mixed reviews at the time but I did love the film & would often pop in to the theatre when it was showing to watch if there was not much to do. It had its run which was quite short, then as many films do not much was heard of it but within a couple of years it was shown at late night shows & so called special presentation showings to packed theatres - we often sold-out a Friday & a Saturday late show days in advance on pre-booked ticket sales & back then (around 1985/6) that was a very rare occurrence. I do remember that architecture students appear to have loved the film & around a dozen or so would book a block of seats at every late show we put on. As time went on the feature grew, some of it by accident more than design, with the various versions over the years on VHS/DVD/Bluray etcetera selling well which has taken this feature to the (in my opinion whatever that is worth) deserved high reputation that it holds to this day.

Bladerunner 2049 opened fairly well but nothing exceptional, it did not get a heavy promotional push by any means. The media & Bluray sales though are expected to be good & there will be a bit more of a push on the releases to come apparently. I do think that in years to come 2049 will sit alongside the "original" (in whatever form you wish it to be) & it really does deserve to do so.

It may be perhaps a bit nonsensical to comment on something that is going to be avoided & "never watched" but whatever the reason for making the comment can we just all play nice. Everyone to their own, though to avoid/never watch this may be missing out on what has been a very well thought out & respectfully done feature which has also been very well made whatever way you look at it.

Take care all & cheers for now.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 01:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I concur with je280's statement. I haven't said ANYWHERE that Blade Runner 2049 is a bad movie. I think it is a worthy successor to the original. I simply think that the original is better. The soundtrack, for instance, is way better than in the new film. However I also believe that in a couple of years we will all love Blade Runner 2049 ( almost ) as much as we love the original. I just find the original to be perfect. In my opinion, the new film could have been shorter but that's only my opinion. It is a very good film without any doubt but simply not as good as the perfect original. That's all.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 08:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah, what's the point of making the same film, but worse? Will avoid.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 13:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

It's not a remake. It's a sequel.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2017, 16:55 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is your daily reminder not to get into arguments with Forper. Logic doesn't work on him.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 09:12 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

invenio wrote:
forper wrote:

It's not a remake. It's a sequel.

Seems like a remake/reboot to me. It's the same ideas, but worse. As others have stated it's an imitation of the music, and as I have stated the models are just poor imitations of the originals. Same stuff, worse era.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 09:51 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well signofzeta recommended not to feed this troll ........

Will bite anyway -
I can't help it ...

forper,Dude, It is NOT A REMAKE... If you would take the time and watch it instead of criticizing a work you have not even experienced then you would know this fact .....
Why not see it and then crap all over it ? :wtf:

To criticize before knowing anything about the movie is intellectually dishonest mate ..... :thumbdown:
We have a saying in America - DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER ....... :think:

Who knows, you may even like some of the NEW CONCEPTS in the film ....... :o

~finis ~

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 11:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

firehorse_44 wrote:
Well signofzeta recommended not to feed this troll ........

Will bite anyway -
I can't help it ...

forper,Dude, It is NOT A REMAKE... If you would take the time and watch it instead of criticizing a work you have not even experienced then you would know this fact .....
Why not see it and then crap all over it ? :wtf:

To criticize before knowing anything about the movie is intellectually dishonest mate ..... :thumbdown:
We have a saying in America - DO NOT JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER ....... :think:

Who knows, you may even like some of the NEW CONCEPTS in the film ....... :o

~finis ~

I've seen enough to know I won't like it cobber, intellivision dreamcast or not

Willikers, we have a saying in Australia too - JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, COZ READING IT IS HARD

:roll:

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 12:10 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

At least you are a friendly troll .....

Just trying to turn a sci-fi fan onto a keen flick....
I respect that you are not "turned on" by however much you viewed BR2149.......

Perhaps this thread will make others curious enough to view the sequel, or not lol .....

Now -finis-

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 13:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper,

Ok, I really have to ask. Are you just trolling? I mean, comments like "judge a book by its cover, coz reading it is hard" and the fact that even the most basic review of the movie would tell you that it's a sequel and not a remake?

You are on a website for film buffs. Frankly, whether it is better or worse than the first instalment really doesn't matter. It is truly a unique piece of cinema that we only get to see once or twice a decade. Even the negative reviews agree that it is visually unique. Do you only watch your single favorite movie and never watch anything new for the fear of a new movie not being as good as your favorite? I'm sorry, I'm not following your argument other than "don't watch any new movies because there is a chance that a movie that you have seen before is better."

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 13:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper is in denial that a sequel has come along to a sci-fi classic that in some ways is just as good. Only reason for someone to reject even giving it a chance would be because of stubbornness and nostalgia "for the good old days".

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 00:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

invenio wrote:
forper,

Ok, I really have to ask. Are you just trolling? I mean, comments like "judge a book by its cover, coz reading it is hard" and the fact that even the most basic review of the movie would tell you that it's a sequel and not a remake?

Just having fun with an American who seems to believe that the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" is a saying only in America. Also playing on the fact that most Americans don't get sarcasm. Yeah I guess I'm "trolling".

Quote:
Do you only watch your single favorite movie and never watch anything new for the fear of a new movie not being as good as your favorite?

Pretty much, just movies from the past, new movies just don't look right to me. To me there is enough (too much) great material pre 2000 that I would rather watch than anything made today. I'm being serious here, not trolling.

Page 2 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next