It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:08

Page 1 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 19:17 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Who else has seen the new Blade Runner and what did you think?

I've seen it twice and I can honestly say I love it almost as much as the original. I felt it captured the feel and design of the original while adding to it. Plus the story was engaging and expanded on the world of Blade Runner nicely. Can't wait to pick it up on BD.

Oh and seeing the new film convinced me to finally get a copy of the original on LD. Can't wait to check out the CC version when it arrives!

Last edited by dunerider on 14 Oct 2017, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Blade Runner 2049
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 19:31 
Site Admin
Site Admin

dunerider wrote:
Who else has seen the new Blade Runner and what did you think?

Saw it few days ago at the TCL Chinese Theater, was quite a treat (right before the new Thor movie premiere).

Visually stunning, respect for the original BR, some obvious references, some less obvious.

Even the people who didn't see the first BR enjoyed it.

Be careful: it's not an action-type movie and the pace can be quite slow.

But I liked it. That's 2 good movies in a short span of time: Baby Driver and BR 2049!

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017, 19:33 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I enjoyed Baby Driver as well. Overall for being one of the worst seasons in recent movie history, there were some good films that came out.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 03:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Premier at Showcase Winnersh / Reading Thursday 05, 21:50pm

Review of Blade Runner 2049 movie by benmbe, Oct 6, 2017.

I had the good fortune of Watching the original Blade runner on the big screen, and so when I heard that the follow up was coming along, I knew I had to watch this in the Movie theatre once again.

After a long time in the making I was really getting excited about this long overdue follow up Blade Runner 2049.

Around 2 1/2 Hours viewingtime: I was pleasantly surprised at the opening sequence, the expansive ATMOS theatre sound struck my senses like the first Movie, the steady pace of this movie unfolded with good character building, of which drew the viewer in.

Don't know if others who viewed this movie would agree, or maybe not as each movie is subjective for each viewer However, I would highlight the silence and stillness when looking at each of the character's faces with each scene, had the ability to draw you in............ It was a pleasing change from the usual action / explosions throughout other movies.

It gave a sense of space and Led ones mind to contemplate, reflect yes the audience were given the opportunity to work along with the whole experience.

The music score although not Vangelis, was however very respectfully conveyed with equal aplomb & conjured up memories of the original movie experience. The sheer expansiveness of the bass clout impacted the viewer, One connected with Blade Runners craft flying over the vast city and landscapes.

I could mention so much more here, and I shall leave the rest of the movie details for others to fill in what I have neglected to mention here.

In summing up the Movie I would express the following:
To all those who experienced the first Movie, and left the theatre with a feeling of satisfaction, having recognised that such an experience was rare and satisfying. 2049 holds it's own as an equally unique experience, and although what I have conveyed here is mentioned above subjective, I am confident that others (but not all) will be equally pleased.

I shall look forward to owning this on 4K Blu-Ray.

This movie will be a good test disc for Video Files.

Kind Regards to everyone

Pros

I was pleasantly surprised by the Elvis Presley / Frank Sinatra Holographic performances
The Pace and silence whilst focussing of facial expression was involving.
Harrison Ford's performance was a pleasure, and other surprises were welcome.

Cons

To be honest for me personally there were no negatives or / cons.

Last edited by benmbe on 16 Oct 2017, 03:21, edited 4 times in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017, 16:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Denis has created a visual masterpiece.

Benmbe's review is very telling and spot on.

Intending to see this film on more then one occasion to grasp a deeper insight into the experience of BR 2049.

Weak sales in the states will hopefully be overshadowed by the European and Asian fans responses in the next few months.
Perhaps a sequel to this movie is in order........ hopefully sooner then the 35 years it took for this second installment.

THE WORD ON THE STREET IS DENIS IS DOING DUNE AS HIS NEXT PROJECT..........
Could this lead to a long dreamt of GOD EMPEROR OF DUNE being manifested for cinema ?
Time will tell.....

Hopefully facets of Alexandro Jodorowsky's interpretation of DUNE will be revisited and incorporated into Denis's
masterpiece .............
This development is most welcome if indeed on the horizon !
Denis is the man with the talent and patience to create a Dune universe .............

THE SPICE WILL FLOW ........

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 01:00 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Agreed on all points benmbe. I thought it measured up to the original in every way (well except maybe the soundtrack).

Harrison Ford also had one of his better performances, especially when looking at his recent films.

As for Denis Villeneuve directing a new Dune, that would be interesting. Dune is a difficult book to translate to the screen, but I think he would be better equipped to handle it.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017, 01:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Saw it yesterday. I was very happy how well it turned out. I'm a huge blade runner fan and was scared that they wouldn't capture the "soul" of the original. I think they really did an excellent job overall. The pacing was slow but so was the original. It never got to be boring and I always felt that things were happening. It just shows that you can have an entertaining sci-fi movie without shaky cam.

I think casting Gosling was a great choice. Without him, I don't think the movie would have been as good.

I also thought they did a good job with the music. Original but still meshing well with what Vangelis did in 82.

Can't wait for the blu-ray to be released so I can do a couple of viewings for more easter eggs and study.

If you haven't seen it yet, I would highly recommend it.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 18:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Amazon has a listing for 2049; but, there is no release date. The prices are $28 for the BD and $45 for the UHD. The DVD is not listed.
CED
934-54780150, 934.54810350, SJT-200, CED-1, 3-VIP1000, VIP201P

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 23:58 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I heard this movie is a bore fest, watched Battle: Los Angeles yesterday, now THATs a modern sci fi movie done right!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 00:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
I heard this movie is a bore fest, watched Battle: Los Angeles yesterday, now THATs a modern sci fi movie done right!

I would recommend you see the movie for yourself. I did not find it boring whatsoever. Just because a movie is non-stop shaky cam does not make it boring. The pacing is slow but things are happening and the story is always moving forward. The cinematography is beautiful. It has an amazing soundtrack. Check it out while it is still in the theatres and make up your mind after.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 01:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

invenio wrote:
forper wrote:

I would recommend you see the movie for yourself. I did not find it boring whatsoever. Just because a movie is non-stop shaky cam does not make it boring. The pacing is slow but things are happening and the story is always moving forward. The cinematography is beautiful. It has an amazing soundtrack. Check it out while it is still in the theatres and make up your mind after.

I agree with invenio ....
The 160 minutes went seamlessly ....... Bladerunner 2049 is an epic that does justice to the Ridley Scott original ... CHECK IT OUT ! ! !

Denis is a genius at storytelling and mostly utilizes physical sets vs CG constructs. In my opinion this man is "THE MAN" to do DUNE correctly ......
Screenplay phase for Dune currently in progress as of this writing. Keep your fingers crossed mates ........
My dream of GOD EMPEROR of DUNE brought to the big screen is nearly tangible ! ! !

Cheers to the membership .....

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 02:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

invenio wrote:
forper wrote:

I also heard it lacks the visual depth, no Frank Lloyd Wright inspired interiors or exteriors, none of that LA 80s come future art deco feeling.

I also heard Gossling is out of place in the movie.

Hope theres a sequal to Battle: LA, it's what Mars Attacks should have been, a war story and the advisors on set got the Marines perfect for equipment and tactics.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 02:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Sounds like you've "heard" a lot of stuff that may not be true. It has not done great at the box office, but reviews are actually very good. Both by critics and viewers: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/blade-runner-2049

My personal opinion of why it is not doing well is because it's not mainstream Michael Bay, huge explosions, shaky cam,... sci-fi. It's for a more mature audience. The original Blade Runner did not do well at the theatres at its release and now it is considered one of the cinematic masterpieces of the last 50 years.

Again, I recommend you see it yourself and form your own opinion.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 04:26 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Recently watch at a matinee where I was the soul patron, they had the volume so loud it was rattling the speakers. I enjoyed the movie, I did feel though that they were just trying a little too hard.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 05:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Like everything these days, I'll wait for the Bluray. I am curious though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 05:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

The orignal Blade Runner was criticized for being a bore fest too, if you only go by what you hear (from a vast minority no less) than its your loss.

Also the best cut of Blade Runner 1982 by FAR is the Final Cut.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017, 16:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:

forper:

10-4 on the Battle LA.

I watched it on a DirecTV channel and found it very good. I have the DVD of it that I will watch some time in the future.

Did you ever watch Battleship? (Another Scifi flick) The story is about an alien invasion that is stopped by old technology,
CED

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 09:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

dumbchemist wrote:
forper wrote:

forper:

10-4 on the Battle LA.

I watched it on a DirecTV channel and found it very good. I have the DVD of it that I will watch some time in the future.

Did you ever watch Battleship? (Another Scifi flick) The story is about an alien invasion that is stopped by old technology,

Is it stopped by the USS Missouri? If so I might watch it but I think the appeal of Battle LA to me was the Marines, I'm a big fan. The CGI on the aliens was pretty average but could have been worse. I liked some designs like the alien tank.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017, 16:16 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

forper wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
forper wrote:

forper:

10-4 on the Battle LA.

Is it stopped by the USS Missouri? If so I might watch it but I think the appeal of Battle LA to me was the Marines, I'm a big fan. The CGI on the aliens was pretty average but could have been worse. I liked some designs like the alien tank.

i do not remember which battleship it was. I checked the DVD case and there is no mention of the ship's name.

I bought my copy from Walmart for$3.74 USD.
CED

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 18:22 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I saw this film in a cinema in Indonesia last month. I have to say that I thought though the film is visually stunning that I thought it was a bit too long. It didn't have to be that long. And one thing that really irritated me is that Harrison Ford had such a small part in it. The promotion made it look as if he was the no 2 protagonist in this film next to Ryan Gosling but he barely had any screen time ! I kind of felt cheated. Yes it was visually stunning but I was a bit irritated by the excessive use of CGI. I still like the original Blade Runner's style way better and it will always be my no 1 favourite sci-fi film of all times. The street scenes in the original film are just so fantastic and so full of wonderful details. The soundtrack in this new film wasn't anything special. I think they should have tried something entirely different instead of trying to emulate Vangelis' style. Overall I think it was a worthy successor to the original however the original will always be the better film of both ( to me ).

Page 1 of 3 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next