It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 14:37

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 300W Step Down Transformer with LD player and iScan Question
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 08:50 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Hi guys

I want to be able to use my CLD-59 Laserdisc player WITH my iScan HD+ video processor. Only trouble is I need a 220V > 110V Step Down Transformer Voltage Converter since I'm from Austarila. In other words I want to have both devices connected and running at the same time.

My question is: would this one work for both my iScan HD+ and CLD-59 Laserdisc player hooked up to it? Will it be safe to use? -https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300W-Step-Down-Transformer-Voltage-Converter-With-Output-2-Plugs/391026446129?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

At only $23 is it very affordable, but something tells me its too good to be true. What do you guys think? Would 300W be enough?

Thanks!

Last edited by alien on 29 Oct 2017, 02:20, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 300W Step Down Transformer & Voltage Converter Question
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2017, 09:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Should be fine. :angel:

Post subject: Re: 300W Step Down Transformer with LD player and iScan
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 03:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Still have only a 100VA transformer which was purchased way back when I got my first 100V player. It runs an LD player, two Muse decoders and surround processor fine. If I try to run a second player only then does it get a little warm; so I don't do that.

So you should be fine with 300W for your needs (for the purposes of rating a transformer VA/W are basically the same - I think VA is more correct; it's a technical thing to do with resistive vs non-resistive loads). I do plan to upgrade, so in my case will jump right up to 1000VA so then on that overkill I can then run multiple players without issue or worry! Easiest way to check is to add the power ratings of the equipment you're using and allow a little headroom too.

Also what I'm using is a fairly good quality one; a toroidal isolation transformer from Tortech here in Australia. I think a lot of the cheaper ones might be autotransformers? https://www.gstransformers.com/technical/difference-between-isolation-transformers-and-autotransformers.html Personally after spending the money on equipment I'd rather invest the bit extra in the transformer for a cleaner/safer supply and peace of mind.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 12:38 
are PRO mainsblocks fitted with surge protection dangerous to use with a stepdown converter?
I have a Supra mainsblock with SP where I have connected my Tacima stepdown converter when I use my LD player.
Is there any risk of electric fire using a mainsblock with surge protection?

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2017, 17:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

So earlier today I respond to a question about transformers here, which included doing a google search to find the link I posted.

Only a couple of hours later I notice this ebay ad in my FB feed:
Attachment:
transformers.jpg
transformers.jpg [ 68.4 KiB | Viewed 2493 times ]

Never ever seen a transformer ad there before.

Hate how these corporations conspire in their 'marketeering' efforts. No doubt some 'simple' cookies information or similar let them exchange all the necessary information legally. George was right.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]