It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:30

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skipping Demo Disc
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 04:16 
Hello all! I'm new to this forum and to Laserdiscs all together. I collect automotive memorabilia with my main focus being the Chevrolet LUV. I recently found a laserdisc that was created by GM to demonstrate the vehicle to salesmen. Its a discovision disc with side 1 being the LUV pickup demonstration and side 2 is the full size pickup demonstration. My issue is that when playing side one it will only play roughly 4 seconds and then continually skip without end. Side 2 plays just fine. There is only one small scratch on side 1 that i can see, and it is in the middle of the recorded area. Could this be why my disc won't play? My player is a Pioneer CLD 909. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Skipping Demo Disc
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 16:59 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

While I have little experience with GM discs, I have had some and there is a lot of info out there to give you an idea that you can play them on regular players but
they will play slightly differently than regular LDs.

Also if you are skipping and repeating then I would say it could be that scratch as discs play from the inside out, and also there could be some other type of dirt on your disc.

Older DV discs do have some trouble playing on all players, so it could be perfect in another player.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2017, 18:26 
Thanks rein, A friend of mine has another player somewhere i will try my disc on his. I appreciate the info. Also i had no idea they played from the inside out, good to know!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 23:09 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yup... the 909 wouldn't be my first choice for Discovision. I'd go with either a gas tube player (hard to find these days, they're ~35 years old now!) or a later player. I've actually had pretty good experiences playing all but the worst DV with the last generation players... however some disks are just really hard to work with.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]