It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:35

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rare LD player with DVD (DVL-700)
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:31 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I was watching this guy on youtube sometimes and he gets things off Craiglist and resells him.
Anyway at the end of the video it shows off a LD player but it wasn't just an LD player it was a rare one with DVD compatibility. I didn't think those were that rare.
I don't know how to do the timestamp so its toward the end of the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmGk70gY5C4

Post subject: Re: rare LD player with DVD
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 23:45 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Since DVD arrived in about 1997 in most territories it's probably a fair comment that there aren't that many players out there that play both LDs and DVDs. Most LD players don't play DVDs although any of us on the forum know it's not worth the hassle of searching one that does out other than for curiosity sake since they are usually inferior to most LD only players.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 00:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

you might be right though I never saw anyone until the web so I guess they were kinda rare. I saw mainly DVD only players.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 01:33 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The number of models with DVD compatibility...not many. However the DVL-909 and 919 were very popular players (as far as LD players go) and were available until 2009 I think. If you were buying a new LD player anywhere from 1997 on up it was probably a 909 or 919.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 02:26 
True fan
True fan

It's a DVL-700, it's the first gen DVL made in 97. I wouldn't call it rare, atleast no more then any other LD player The Elite version is the DVL-90.

In the last year I picked up 2 DVL-90s locally where I live, so for me, its one of the most common LD player I've seen.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 09:17 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Possibly relevant to refer to this former thread:
What years was Laserdisc in its prime?

Shows some figures on the general decline in LD hardware and software over time which of course ties in with availability in shops. If you stop seeing something for sale in most shops you might well start to assume it is quite rare.

Most people were not interested in laserdisc by the late 90s. That was well past it hey day so the idea of a player that played some obscure format like Laserdisc plus some new format called DVD would not have had mass appeal, clever though it was. Most people would have just bought a regular DVD player a few years later at a fraction of the price. That's what I did.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 17:13 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i saw a 909 or 919 at a hock shop once about a decade back. at $200 or so, i was a bit much for me then,
and i was far more interested an 80's model, deliberately trying to stay away from 90's gear of any sort.

after getting my dream player a few years later, -1988 PIONEER CLD-3030- i stopped looking for any other model of LDP,
outside of strongly considering the ELITE LD-S1 several times...

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 18:15 
tasuke wrote:
i saw a 909 or 919 at a hock shop once about a decade back. at $200 or so, i was a bit much for me then,
and i was far more interested an 80's model, deliberately trying to stay away from 90's gear of any sort.

after getting my dream player a few years later, -1988 PIONEER CLD-3030- i stopped looking for any other model of LDP,

what's so spezial with CLD-3030?

there are also models CLD-3070 and CLD-3080
are these very much better than yours?

are the above players strong long life players like industrial players?

there was a seller gonzo maher on eBay selling lots of brand new factory sealed industrial players CLD-V2600 the last 2 years 2014 - 2016
a few months ago I won one of these players on gonzo's auction as he had the very last one of them.
out of nowhere this schmuck gonzo maher cancelled my winning auction because idiot gonzo maher forgot to activate ticking options box for eBay global shipping.
seller blamed he made a mistake to have an excuse to cancel.
what a bogus fraud! :thumbdown:

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 18:33 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

van-dammage wrote:
tasuke wrote:

there was a seller gonzo maher on eBay selling lots of brand new factory sealed industrial players CLD-V2600 the last 2 years 2014 - 2016
a few months ago I won one of these players on gonzo's auction as he had the very last one of them.
out of nowhere this schmuck gonzo maher cancelled my winning auction because idiot gonzo maher forgot to activate ticking options box for eBay global shipping.

Dekki, can't others make mistakes??
I'm sure you ended up giving him a negative feedback.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 20:21 
rein-o wrote:
van-dammage wrote:
tasuke wrote:

Dekki, can't others make mistakes??
I'm sure you ended up giving him a negative feedback.

no I did not give dumba$$ seller a negative feedback!

it was not a mistake from his side, seller cancelled on purpose coz he always ticked for eBay global shipping in his previous auctions, this time he forgot therefore he cancelled with a lame excuse not to ship!
what a fake! :wtf:

Post subject: Re: Rare LD player with DVD (DVL-700)
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 23:57 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I recently picked up a DVL-700 in very good condition and was surprised that the image rivaled my CLD-59. I have to view playback on both players via composite through one of those inexpensive AV to HDMI upscalers as my wireless projector cannot accept a composite signal(have to use HDMI). Given how fast the 700 switches sides(it just blows the 59 away) I was tempted to make it my number one LD player.

Unfortunately, the sound from the 700 is nowhere near as robust as the 59. I have to crank up my receiver to about 45 to get the same punch I get from the 59 in the high 20 range.

Not surprisingly, the dvd player is average at best but it does have a distinction, and not a good one, that other players I own don't have. It is the only dvd player I have successfully region hacked but still cannot play my dvds rom the UK or Austrailia. This is because it cannot handle PAL discs. Not sure why it would be capable of selecting different regions if the discs cannot not be played, :?: but it does. That was a new one on me.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 01:13 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

There are a lot of LD players that are underrated and the DVL-700 is one of them.

People get into "wanting to get the best player" mentality but they forget that the best player is only a fraction better but the price is 10X on some models.

Right now the best players are the ones that are working, I'm glad you took a risk and picked up a good player.
As for audio, I didn't think there would be that much difference unless it had some different chips etc. You may have to adjust your amp settings for the different player??

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 16:42 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Yeah, the DVL-700 actually does give a pretty good picture for LD playback. I would say it's somewhere between a D60x and a D703/4.

Just never use it for DVD.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 21:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
Just never use it for DVD.

Ahahahahahahahaha. For real.

Too many good DVD players available (with hdmi out even) to want to use it for that. DVD might be the most high variance video format I've seen. Watching a bad dvd on a bad player is so completely different than watching a well mastered dvd on something like an Oppo player.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 23:35 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have shared some messages with jgdragov. He is comparing the 700 audio to an Elite CLD-59 and I have told him that the Elites used higher quality audio decoupling capacitors. They definitely have better dynamics as the cheaper decoupling capacitors are high end filters. This is totally independent of video quality.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 03:07 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

rein-o wrote:
Right now the best players are the ones that are working, I'm glad you took a risk and picked up a good player.
As for audio, I didn't think there would be that much difference unless it had some different chips etc. You may have to adjust your amp settings for the different player??

Agree wholeheartedly about working LD payers. As the years go on, the'll get more scarce and more expensive. Laserdisc may not make a comeback but the $700-$1000 price tags just might. When that happens, Kurtis will be able to sell all his players and retire to Bermuda.

An embarrassingly easy solution for the audio by the way. I just recently got a remote for my 700 and noticed there was volume control on it(a feature not always on a LD or DVD remotes). Turns out that the volume on the player was set at -14. Full volume is actually 0. Needless to say the audio finally has it's punch. I'm going to do a side by side with my 59, probably this weekend, and see how the 700 stacks up.

Kurtis has sobered me up about replacing my 59 with the 700 but I don't think I could truly consider myself a true member of this community if I didn't have at least two LD players in my collection. ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]