It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 11:29




 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 04:01 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3781
Location: United States
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 215 times
I recently was given a model kit of the Benetton B187 and in it was a flyer where you could win a bunch of stuff by sending in your answer card. One of the items was the Sony MDP-9.

Since I didn’t know this model I looked it up and it seems to have two pickups...but also two spindles, audio sections, drawers, etc. Like most LD players it can play CDs but for a change this one can play one of the each at the same time. It’s two players in one case with serial link built in.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/sony/sony_mdp-9/sony_mdp-9.htm

Does anyone have better pictures? Has anyone ever seen one?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 04:14 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 5889
Location: United States
Has thanked: 106 times
Been thanked: 142 times
That is a very interesting looking player.
Thanks for posting it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 15:55 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 30 Aug 2005, 15:38
Posts: 3091
Location: Pennsylvania
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 31 times
What an odd player. Especially since the audio for the CD portion isn't as good as the LD portion!
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 18:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan
User avatar

Joined: 02 Apr 2006, 21:20
Posts: 1574
Location: United States
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 19 times
weird find. Hopefully there are better pics out there but who knows it could be kinda of rare or something. never knew sony to do this.
_________________
DVD&BDs | LD/DVHS Collection | Criterion
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 22:31 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3781
Location: United States
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 215 times
elahrairrah wrote:
What an odd player. Especially since the audio for the CD portion isn't as good as the LD portion!


I’d assume that the CD section is cribbed from one of their cheaper CD players. Building an LD player was expensive enough so I guess there wasn’t much budget left over for the CD part.

Think of the Laseractive. It plays games! But basically every aspect of it sucks to keep the price down to merely ridiculous. :)

Of the two pics shown one seems to have wood side panels like Sony’s fancier VCRs. It seem more like an industrial use machine though, for bars and shows and stuff.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 00:35 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 686
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times
signofzeta wrote:
I recently was given a model kit of the Benetton B187


Hi,

was it the GUNZE SANGYO B187 1/24 Scale model?

Just curious (or perhaps nosey) but how does it compare to the usual suspects from Japan?

Cheers.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2018, 01:07 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2010, 09:44
Posts: 3781
Location: United States
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 215 times
je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I recently was given a model kit of the Benetton B187


Hi,

was it the GUNZE SANGYO B187 1/24 Scale model?

Just curious (or perhaps nosey) but how does it compare to the usual suspects from Japan?

Cheers.


It was that very one, yes.

It’s like other kits in the series. It’s nowhere near Tamiya 1/20 quality. The control arms are thick and like a lot of old Gunze kits it’s made so you can motorized it easily. Detail-wise I’d compare it more to a slot car.

It’s molded in the blue-green color and has large decals for everything including the driver’s helmet and visor. If I can get a nice deep clear on the plastic and I can get the decals to work I think this may turn out really well. After all...it’s this car, right? If the colors are right you won’t see the rest. The other cars in this series with more simplistic livery might be pretty sad though.

I’ll let you know when I get to building it.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sony MDP-9
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 01:32 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 13 Sep 2012, 23:14
Posts: 686
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 32 times
signofzeta wrote:
je280 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
I recently was given a model kit of the Benetton B187


Hi,

was it the GUNZE SANGYO B187 1/24 Scale model?

Just curious (or perhaps nosey) but how does it compare to the usual suspects from Japan?

Cheers.


It was that very one, yes.

It’s like other kits in the series. It’s nowhere near Tamiya 1/20 quality. The control arms are thick and like a lot of old Gunze kits it’s made so you can motorized it easily. Detail-wise I’d compare it more to a slot car.

It’s molded in the blue-green color and has large decals for everything including the driver’s helmet and visor. If I can get a nice deep clear on the plastic and I can get the decals to work I think this may turn out really well. After all...it’s this car, right? If the colors are right you won’t see the rest. The other cars in this series with more simplistic livery might be pretty sad though.

I’ll let you know when I get to building it.


Thanks for that & only saw a few of the GUNZE SANGYO kits years ago now, as soon as you described them I did recollect the type that they were - battery box in the base etcetera if my memory serves me.

Got a few TAMIYA kits away in boxes but have not looked at them for years, perhaps time to dig through some boxes again. A few are started, a couple almost finished so time to look out the modelling tools & clear the space perhaps.

Enjoy the build when you get round to it.

Cheers for now,

John
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: