Pioneer  84%  84%  [ 474 ]
 Samsung  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Sony  3%  3%  [ 17 ]
 Technics  0%  0%  [ 0 ]
 Theta  0%  0%  [ 1 ]
 Toshiba  0%  0%  [ 2 ]
 Yamaha  1%  1%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 567

Post subject: Re: What brand is your main LD Player?
PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 08:42 
True fan
True fan

disclord wrote:
Sadly DVD recorders didn't exist in 1997 when I had my DVL-700 modified, so I have no way of showing a before and after picture from my particular player. One thing I did learn from a Pioneer tech was that the 700 was a better LaserDisc player than the Elite DVL-90... The 90 was designed first and the 700 done a bit later with some improvements. It's DVD performance isn't too good but even in its unmodded state, it's LD performance is better than the later DVL players... And there is a lot of player to player variation in quality, even within the same model, so one could be great and another of the same model looks like junk. I think I got a good basic model because other 700's I've seen look worse than mine did in its unmodded state.

Player to player variation was one of LaserDisc's big problems... Since the system was analog, it was totally dependent on everything being adjusted and performing perfectly. Only Pioneer and a few Panasonic models (LX-900, LX-600 and LX-H670) could produce players that were truly good, and both companies had their share of clunkers, like the Panasonic LX-1000u or the Pioneer CLD-95 and CLD-3090. Other companies players always looked like junk, even when working perfectly. And then there were the true junk players like the Zenith or Carver or Radio Shack. Oh, and Sony.

Ah, that makes sense, thought you had upgraded it recently =) I have a dvl 700 my self, but compared to my other players, it doesn't get the job done, check the laserdisc picture quality thread, i have posted some pictures.

PostPosted: 22 May 2012, 19:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

cpix wrote:
disclord wrote:
Sadly DVD recorders didn't exist in 1997 when I had my DVL-700 modified, so I have no way of showing a before and after picture from my particular player. One thing I did learn from a Pioneer tech was that the 700 was a better LaserDisc player than the Elite DVL-90... The 90 was designed first and the 700 done a bit later with some improvements. It's DVD performance isn't too good but even in its unmodded state, it's LD performance is better than the later DVL players... And there is a lot of player to player variation in quality, even within the same model, so one could be great and another of the same model looks like junk. I think I got a good basic model because other 700's I've seen look worse than mine did in its unmodded state.

Player to player variation was one of LaserDisc's big problems... Since the system was analog, it was totally dependent on everything being adjusted and performing perfectly. Only Pioneer and a few Panasonic models (LX-900, LX-600 and LX-H670) could produce players that were truly good, and both companies had their share of clunkers, like the Panasonic LX-1000u or the Pioneer CLD-95 and CLD-3090. Other companies players always looked like junk, even when working perfectly. And then there were the true junk players like the Zenith or Carver or Radio Shack. Oh, and Sony.

Ah, that makes sense, thought you had upgraded it recently =) I have a dvl 700 my self, but compared to my other players, it doesn't get the job done, check the laserdisc picture quality thread, i have posted some pictures.

I've taken some pics off my TV screen of my MSB modified DVL-700's picture playing Physical and Soul Kiss. Please excuse the poor quality, I've not done this before and don't have a capture card.
here's the link:
http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?p=13322#p13322

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 01:22 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

What did you pay for the msb upgrades if you dont mind me asking. I went onto their webpage they ask a thousand to a few thousand for upgrades of current cd/bd players. Maybe they were more reasonable back then,given even a cheap player was a thousand or so. Now you can buy a already super good oppo bd player for $500. I dont know how many people would pay 2-3k on top of that to upgrade. Then I know lexicon bd playet is oppo rebadge with 2500 markup or theta rebadge with some mods with 2k markup. You never know

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 02:14 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
What did you pay for the msb upgrades if you dont mind me asking. I went onto their webpage they ask a thousand to a few thousand for upgrades of current cd/bd players. Maybe they were more reasonable back then,given even a cheap player was a thousand or so. Now you can buy a already super good oppo bd player for $500. I dont know how many people would pay 2-3k on top of that to upgrade. Then I know lexicon bd playet is oppo rebadge with 2500 markup or theta rebadge with some mods with 2k markup. You never know

The mods were done back in 1997 and cost me just about $400. They were much cheaper for everything then. Now their prices are outrageous for what they provide. They are still willing to add am AC-3 output to an LD player but want more than 500 for it.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 05:16 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

$400 is more than reasonable for a ld player since they are very complex. Analog machines the smallest touch can make difference. Today not much can be done on bd players other than adding quality analog audio out. Most of the new media playets have so many bugs on their fw. Sw tweaks could be more benefitial to todays bd players than adding larger heavier chasis.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012, 05:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

substance wrote:
$400 is more than reasonable for a ld player since they are very complex. Analog machines the smallest touch can make difference. Today not much can be done on bd players other than adding quality analog audio out. Most of the new media playets have so many bugs on their fw. Sw tweaks could be more benefitial to todays bd players than adding larger heavier chasis.

Yes, but the tweak companies try to sell digital as if it were analog, where vibration and such does make a difference. They rely on the fact the the vast majority of users don't understand how digital works.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 04:38 
The player I use most frequently is a Pioneer LD-S9. I had purchased the player from N.Santini in Japan in
September, 08. He had the player reconditioned at Pioneer as part of the sale agreement. I had been
using a CLD-79. which is now in another room. When I connected the LD-S9 to my Panasonic 46 inch Plasma
for the first time I had used an S-Type cable which I had been using for years. The picture was not what I
had expected. Changing to a composite cable made the difference. An excellent player both in performance,
and appearance (champagne Gold) I would like to have a demodulator in the same color.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 14:31 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

steed1 wrote:
The player I use most frequently is a Pioneer LD-S9. I had purchased the player from N.Santini in Japan in
September, 08. He had the player reconditioned at Pioneer as part of the sale agreement. I had been
using a CLD-79. which is now in another room. When I connected the LD-S9 to my Panasonic 46 inch Plasma
for the first time I had used an S-Type cable which I had been using for years. The picture was not what I
had expected. Changing to a composite cable made the difference. An excellent player both in performance,
and appearance (champagne Gold) I would like to have a demodulator in the same color.

Try to track down this reciever then . . .

Yamaha RX-V1

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 15:27 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Pioneer VSA-D8EX really doesn't want to die (it's 12 years old now, the reason I bought it is that it had internal AC3RF) but it has the advantage to come from the same product line as the X9, making them neat brothers on a shelf:

Attachment:
File comment: VSA-D8EX
8EX.jpg
8EX.jpg [ 22.39 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: HLD-X9
X9.jpg
X9.jpg [ 18.24 KiB | Viewed 6538 times ]

Julien

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2012, 17:18 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I had the Denon AVC-A1D back in late 90s. First receiver with Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 and THX Ultra 5.1. US version was AVR-5600 I believe, it was in black and had tuner. EU version is in Gold and no tuner. It still works. Sound better than many of the new AVRs.
It has 7.1 analog input and 7.1 analog outputs, RF input. Its amp section was 5 seperate(mono block) amps stack together for 140watts x 5 in 8ohms.
Its so heavy I couldnt bring it to the US. I gave it to my mom. its been in mfg box for 10+. I play music on it time to time when I visit here.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2012, 22:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Does anyone else think we should be able to change our vote? I used to use a Mitsubishi, then some Pioneers, now a Panasonic, but I'm still listed as Mitsubishi.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 00:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

naiaru wrote:
Does anyone else think we should be able to change our vote?

Good point.

Allow re-voting -> ON

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 04:33 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
naiaru wrote:
Does anyone else think we should be able to change our vote?

Good point.

Allow re-voting -> ON

Julien

Thank you Julien!

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 04:40 
admin wrote:
My Pioneer VSA-D8EX really doesn't want to die (it's 12 years old now, the reason why it had internal AC3RF) but it has the advantage to come from the same product line as the X9, making them neat brothers on a shelf:

Attachment:
8EX.jpg
Attachment:
X9.jpg

Julien

That's sweet looking. Is it a strict amp (vsA) or receiver? Around here that would be vsX.....
Looks very pretty (hope that's not too girly sounding)....

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2012, 14:19 
Well the pioneer reciever's look nice from that era but pioneer sucks in making recievers the sound qual is sheit! (my opinion) :)

Better take a marantz,nad,meridian etc etc

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 12:22 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well I have a Denon LA-2300a but I couldn't find Denon in the above list - I know it is just another brandname for the Pioneer CLD-D515 ;-)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2012, 14:25 
jep it s a pioneer clone, average player :) (not bad)

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 19:08 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I'm happy to have at least this one ;-) players are rare here in Austria :-(

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2013, 06:33 
True fan
True fan

Panasonic LX-900U here, but that's no secret... :-)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2013, 00:17 
I have a Pioneer CLD-S350 and I seem to be the only one. How does it stack up to these other models? (My first post and I'm no techie when it comes to LD players...)

Page 3 of 13 [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next