It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:50

Page 5 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Choose my first LD player
PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 03:17 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Obviously not a model made for the US market (it is NTSC & PAL capable) so that's probably why the model is an unknown. Also, it appears to be capable of playing VCD's.

Any idea where the player is located as it appears to be somewhere in Asia? Not sure I would ever be comfortable buying an LD player that has to be shipped from anywhere knowing how fragile just about all players can be.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 12:42 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

discolaservision wrote:
I just found another one player on sale it's Panasonic LX-V810 which I never heard you guys talk about it.
There's a video of the seller demoing it on youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTAAXkMMDWo
He asked a bit over $100 for the player.
I just called him and he suggest I have to pick it up at his room 30 min from my home,he suggest a pick up and test the stuff in person that's a good sign right there at least I don't have to worry about frustrated underpaid post officer throwing and slam stuff on the table or a shipping carrier that runs on scam.

Well it seems like you either get this player or you don't get any player.
For your location and monetary situation this is your best option and if you do plan to take the risk then this is it.

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 19:53 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Seriously;

At some point you just have to take the chance and do something about getting some player.

I can barely believe this thread has gone for 5 pages already. No one here can give you the 'ultimate' advice that the player you happen to choose will be all ok and work perfetly when you receive it.

If you can't cope with this reakity then maybe LD isn't for you.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 03:57 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Wow man I think my reluctance really starts to annoy some people here but hey I'm not asking for the best player just any player that still works and my situation are that bad,it's that hard to find a working player here.
I finally made up my mind I'll get the CLD-2070 instead.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 04:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

discolaservision wrote:
Wow man I think my reluctance really starts to annoy some people here but hey I'm not asking for the best player just any player that still works and my situation are that bad,it's that hard to find a working player here.
I finally made up my mind I'll get the CLD-2070 instead.

You will be happy with that player, I'm getting one and I own a 3070.

You also aren't the first person to get 5 pages asking which or if you should get a player, so that's the real issue, we've all read it before.
Good luck and enjoy LD :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 22:12 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I figured I'd come in here since the DVL-909 I bought previously turned out to be DOA and I'm in search of another player...

I found a Sony MDP-455 selling for $40 and free shipping, as-is. Is this a known troublesome player or would it be a safe choice? It's in good physical condition, only a couple scratches.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 22:21 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Sonys listed as “as-is” are probably broken.

Never buy an LD player with free shipping. Shipping an LD player properly simply COSTS MONEY. If they’re shipping for free they are either losing money or they are breaking the player.

I’d imagine whoever pulls the trigger on that sale will end up with a sack of parts.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 22:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Good to know, I'll be skipping that one then.

If only my 2 year search locally for a player would finally turn up something...

EDIT: How is a Pioneer LD-V4200 reliability wise? It's pretty basic but there's a bunch of fairly cheap working units out there.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 08:12 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

itsvince725 wrote:
Good to know, I'll be skipping that one then.

Good decision. :clap:

I once had an MDP-455 and although I don't think everyone of them was junk, mine was a nightmare to deal with. It stared out fine and I even performed an AC3 mod on it. Anyway, soon enough I started to have issues with it in respect that it stopped reading discs and thus took it to a shop to get an analysis. They sort of got it working for a short time but then it went out again and they couldn't figure out the problem.

I quickly junked it after removing all the AC3 hardware that I had put into it (the AC3 RF mod never really worked well in this player anyway as the mute circuit did not exist in it).

Anyway, always stick with Pioneer or any of the clones that Pioneer made for other manufacturers. An LD-V4200 should be fine. And if it's cheap, even better just to get started w/ some player. Can't be too choosy these days.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 01:23 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Well I ended up picking up a LD-V4200 for $34 shipped...granted, it does need a belt, but it's sold as a working player so if it doesn't play discs I can get my money back.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 02:02 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Most LDV (industrial players) are super reliable. I’ve never used that specific one but it’ll probably work fine.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 18:13 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I finally got a working (though not 100%) player.
It's the Pioneer CLD-1070 I got it for 30 bucks from a folk that ran a bit of repair shop across the city the guy was very enthusiastic about the deal even more than me and when I send him my address he said "hey that's not far I can personally bring the player to you" (actually he lived like an hour from my home so not "far" to him)
And he did come with the player in his truck parked in front of a mall near my house he seemed to be in a hurry but looked pleased to see me somehow as a bonus he actually threw in a remote with the player!
It works well will finished all sides but it was a picky around CD some will not play at all and LD playback will skip around 7-9 minute mark runtime a 1 or 2 second skip but will play through normally after that but when I tried to fast forward it seemed like the player struggle to keep up with the command but nonetheless after I FF'd it the skip no longer happen in that playing side.
By the way this model produced in March 1990 with voltage selector.
Now while this player still works I'll be focusing on scoring some LD movies.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 18:54 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Gratz on getting this player.
Sounds like it could need grease or even belts?

Have fun collecting LDs.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 21:32 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

rein-o wrote:

Ditto on that.

I would first check to see if the skipping issue is always @ that same time mark on every disc you play. If so, check to see if there is any accumulated dry grease and see about wiping away. Might even be a focus issue you can check on that is affecting both CD and LD playback. Lastly, a belt replacement is always a high possibility considering the age of the player.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 02:36 
Honest fan
Honest fan

ldfan wrote:
rein-o wrote:

Ditto on that.

I would first check to see if the skipping issue is always @ that same time mark on every disc you play. If so, check to see if there is any accumulated dry grease and see about wiping away. Might even be a focus issue you can check on that is affecting both CD and LD playback. Lastly, a belt replacement is always a high possibility considering the age of the player.

No,it's not at the same mark,three disc it skips at around 7:35,8:07 and 9:44 mark respectively but if any disc play past 10 minute mark then no more skip after that.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 03:46 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

discolaservision wrote:
No,it's not at the same mark,three disc it skips at around 7:35,8:07 and 9:44 mark respectively but if any disc play past 10 minute mark then no more skip after that.

Just remembered something from a past experience.

Open up your player to observe the issue you are having at the same time points you mentioned. Observe what happens in respect to checking the laser pick-up track for any obstructions (that would also include dry grease) and also look at the ribbon cable that connects the laser pick-up to the main board to see if there might be some sticker on it that is coming off.

My CLD-D701 had an issue of skipping always in the same area and I noticed over time that there was a sticky residue on my laser pick-up’s ribbon cable from some old sticker. After I cleaned off the residue with a combination of alcohol and baby oil (make sure to be gentle with the cable and don’t crease it), I never had a problem again.

Page 5 of 5 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5