It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:54

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is wrong with people? Some people mental or what?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 03:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The only Hong Kong discs I would be interested in obtaining are Hong Kong films, especially lesser known titles that never made it to DVD or Blu Ray, only Laserdisc or VCD.
Why pay 880 $ for Matrix is beyond me. First of all, Hong Kong covers are usually quite ugly and the picture quality is way beyond what you would expect from a standard Japan release.
The only Hong Kong disc that I regretted not buying is the AC3 release of Air Force One. I could have bought it for 10 Hong Kong $ and I didn't. Now that was stupid but this ???

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 10:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I plan on owning 0 copies of The Matrix in any format.

Speaking of rare Hong Kong movies on LD, would love to get my hands on Made in Hong Kong (1997).

Taped it off SBS TV in the day but don't have a working VHS deck anymore, the HK DVD is loooong OOP..There's a French DVD or something but don't want that..

The listing on LDDB for the LD is pending validation..hope it's real..

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 11:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
It's also a pan & scan version. Now that is mental!

Should be open matte. Its negative aspect ratio is 1.33:1 so giving it a P&S treatment would be pointless. The broadcast version is open matte (shown in 1.78:1).

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 12:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan

i guess the person who started this discussion didnt saw this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/X0-HI-VISION-laserdisc-The-Reference-HLD-X0-The-Light-Explores-Japan-MUSE-LD-/162905603937

1025 dollars for a promo gave away disc when buying x0 player
At least matrix is full frame and there isnt any home video release of matrix in full frame except maybe vhs
At a certain point when a collector have reached 2000-3000 lds obtaining titles that are rare is means spend some real money not buying crappy lots wishing you would find that one rare title you are looking only to get jurassic park for the 70th time.
It makes me wonder how come a real collector thinks that someone shouldnt spent this money on ld cause
A) it might develops rot (you should know by now that if so far it hasnt developed chances are it wont ever)
B) he dont like the movie matrix
C) its pan scan (or full frame its diffecent than the known releases with alternative cover)
i guess laserdisc fan you wont bid your house when madonna ld shows up right?????????

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 12:15 
i did see the X-0 LD but did not follow auction.

i only collect movies i like on LD, don't buy specific movie coz it's rare with a steroid inflated price tag

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 12:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

well someone might actually like matrix
did that thought crossed your mind?

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 17:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nissling wrote:
takeshi666 wrote:
It's also a pan & scan version. Now that is mental!

Should be open matte. Its negative aspect ratio is 1.33:1 so giving it a P&S treatment would be pointless. The broadcast version is open matte (shown in 1.78:1).

Oh it was shot in Super 35! I was confused by all the technical specs on IMDB and only noticed the printed format which uses anamorphic widescreen.

Well getting the movie in open matte makes a heckuva lot more sense.

...but still not $800 of it!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 19:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

A lot of people think LDs should be $1 because they’ve been around forever and nobody wants them.

Then there are the guys (%99.9 of which are noobs who started collectarding after LD died) who think the entire reason LDs exist is so that they can be expensive and increase in value forever.

Both of these camps are going to fight. I consider myself in the middle as I would gladly pay $1000 for an LD if I had to but I don’t actually SEEK OUT expensive LDs for their expense alone and start my own gouging eBay store to help make sure LD is expensive forever. I don’t have an ideology that desires LD to be expensive. It was already expensive, when it was new. I don’t want to relive the thrill of blowing my entire paycheck on one movie. I already did that a lot.

So if you payed a grand for a disc, yeah, I’m going to ask why. If your reason is just “shut up, so rude, leave me alone, don’t you love LD?” then...we’ll, I’m afraid you’re what they call “stupid”. You don’t love LD, you love high prices. And if you think my questions are uncomfortable, just explain to that guy down the street that you blew $1000 on a movie. I’m *far* more sympathetic to your stupidity that he would be. :)

The thing speculators and collectors don’t understand is that you can broker stuff all day, but if there ain’t an actual scene the bottom will fall out. Maybe you don’t want to drive that Ferrari or read that baseball card but if a Green Hornet decoder right is really worth $700 it’s because somewhere there is an actual Green Hornet fan who wants to play with this ring because he loves Green Hornet. If you don’t have that guy somewhere, then you’re market is %100 speculator and it will die. That’s why sane people say “who would want that?” and aren’t satisfied by “it’s a collectable” as the only answer. See: the collapse of any economy ever.

Since it’s The Matrix, a barely above average movie who’s own creator did more to discredit it with terrible sequels and dumpsters of green merchandise than I ever could, I’d assume the buyer is some American mouth breather with his first credit card and not Steven Spielberg or the NYT film critic.

That being said, I am a midwestern American mouth breather. I don’t think it was a good idea to bring Greece into this. That’s a very complicated issue and frankly I don’t see how it relates to LD at all.

I don’t want this guy kicked off yet. I think he adds more than collectards do. Obviously he needs to understand that Julian runs a clean ship here. If I can keep it in check here (barely) then he can.

Oh, and as to original question, yes, lots of mental issues in the LD world. You better get used to it.

Last edited by signofzeta on 25 Feb 2018, 19:19, edited 1 time in total. _________________
All about LD care, inner sleeves, shrink wrap, etc.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 04:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Confederate, Signofzeta, Takeshi666, Giannis, Van-Dammage, Nissling, Forper, Rein-o, Firehorse_44, Laserdisc_fan, Je280, Xtempo & Blam1

I hope that you are all well and taking good care of yourselves and your Families,

The subject of expensive, extortionately priced beyond 99% of peoples reach is something that I have an issue with regardless of any viewpoint.

On the Lddb Sellers Shops there are titles such as TITAN A.E & THE SIXTH DAY that are ''with an asking price of $5000'' and when I enquired about one of these, the answer was to the effect of (and I shall try and be as accurate here as I can.) the seller replied by mentioning that it's not for sale but they leave this on view just to see if someone is crazy enough to pay and then they may think about it if someone does.

My answer to that is this and please forgive me here but I am just expressing my own personal view: Are you Kidding me! / and I don't think I would ever do business with such people I mean that, just for the shear front and greediness / Call it arrogance / Call it such a Front and so on and so forth..........

If people say they are not selling and are playing games, then they should not have such titles on display PERIOD!

The majority of the membership who are active on this forum come across as fair unique individuals, whose viewpoints that are worthy of reading, weather I agree with what is shared here or not, and that's the beauty and joy of visiting this forum.

As I read the members replies / Comments I am feel honoured in getting to know a little insight into each person's personality Thoughtfulness, care, balanced or unbalanced views, partial or impartial Comments or views.
Reading between the lines with each message read, one discovers that each member is conveying as best they can (myself included) the way they see things at any particular time, or frame of mind.

I reasonably consider each individuals views and why they have posted a comment in such a way, & consider others personal concerns that maybe going on in their personal life, and some show this more than others and I appreciate each that.

Now here is my point Guys with all balance intended here;

I have mentioned the following words before on previous posts, and for those who have not read them I shall try my best to convey here.

I have spent up to $456 for around 6 Laserdisc titles each in my collection, and some I have 2 of, not for profit or to sell one at some point it's just personal.

I do not have money to throw away ''However Laserdisc is a collectors market'' When I personally mention collectors market I personally mean I cherish this format ''it's personal to myself ''

I have been doing business with Nicholas Santini for the last 'let's say' for around 15 years now.

He moved from France to Japan in 2000-2001 roughly and then around three years ago moved to Australia and is still unpacking 10,000 Laserdisc's and with a good deal of Hardware back in Japan in storage.
funds
Nicholas reserved many LD Titles for me around 12 years ago and I sent available funds when I could afford it every few weeks / months and in recent years available funds have become less.

This has been mostly due to other matters going on in my life, The loss of my mother being the one in charge of her savings, then I equally shared the Mums savings to each member of my Family (still settling my twin who has a long time drug related unhealthy dependence,) / car Repairs, Cut in wages and so on.

It's not about me here understand, but for the sake of the subject matter in question so bare with me and thank you for reading.

When I communications with Mr Santini I expressed my apologies for not being able to pay him any quicker than I am able, of which he doesn't have a problem with, and that we have over time garnered ''TRUST'' between us.

Mr Santini knows the kind of person I am and that we understand each other well enough, he has informed me that due to his other business activities and travelling from his Country of dwelling to the next, that I am the only Customer at this time who he is doing LD Business with, due to his priorities with other business ventures.

So here is my Point sorry I will now finally mention, I just thought by giving some personal background we can all find some common Ground on a united front;
I have spent a lot of money on Laserdisc's because I love the format, this has for the most part not been easy.

I have invested heavily into the Format and worked up to 120 hours in the past years from 1998-2003, in order to acquire the software and hardware that one desired of which has also been a journey (one cold write a book, ''no really'' and humbly I mean this, as it's been a journey.)

There is a Title ''Titan A.E'' £100 imported to the UK at the time, to be honest I cannot see myself owning but, came so close just before release However, the seller in London at the time would not take a deposit to reserve of which was sad....... Literally a week or two before release: I purchased The Phantom Menace / Star Wars Remastered box set and then drove home 26 miles away.

A good number of people who have purchased TITAN A.E paid a handsome price, and so they want some profit understandably but not $5000 that to my mind is just Hideous sorry it is.
Truth be known I own this title on US DVD, but has not been released on Blu-Ray as yet I have searched and it has not so on Blu-Ray.com I have registered my interest and for them to inform myself when it may become available if they get enough interest in this title.

I want this title on Laserdisc it's not complicated.

So regardless of any movie weather widescreen or pan and scan, if sellers are trying it on with ridiculous Pricing ''I personally find it hard to ever trust them sheerly because of the greed aspect.

Like Signofzeta has most eloquently mentioned, that Laserdisc was already expensive when in production ''especially but not exclusively coming from Japan''

My desire to spend $1000 on a Laserdisc has in recent years diminished due to the this being ridiculous and certain titles have become unobtainable I have had enough sadly to say but true.
I currently have a new sealed ''The Sixth Day'' reserved at $456 and another approximately 15 titles, of which includes new sealed A Man Like Flint and In Like Flint James Coburn box set around $150?.
Young Indiana Box set x 2 price to be finalised.
T2 with a Black OBI $175? Squeezed I already have the other squeezed T2
There are others to be purchased and mostly 1940-1960's black & white and colour Japanese versions as I love the way the Japanese packaged Laserdiscs / the gatefolds are superb.

Sorry for going on but just wanted to convey a selfless account that we can relate to here Guys.

Thank you for reading my rant and also sharing in my own way your thoughts in some way ''I hope''

Sincerest Regards to everyone

:wave: :thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

Last edited by benmbe on 25 Feb 2018, 09:53, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 09:17 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

benmbe wrote:
Good day Confederate, Signofzeta, Takeshi666, Giannis, Van-Dammage, Nissling, Forper, Rein-o, Firehorse_44, Laserdisc_fan, Je280, Xtempo & Blam1

I hope that you are all well and taking good care of yourselves and your Families,

I don't have a family. Or at least any members of it that I consider to be anything more than worthless, selfish, scum-sucking trash. They might as well be dead.

I'm well though, thanks for asking. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 09:26 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

benmbe wrote:
Cut in wages and so on.

Tell me about it brother, it's the decline of the Western World. I'm still in debt for $40,000 for my uni when I was 20 at 40 years old, my wage still barely breaks the average for a fresh graduate.

My Dad got free uni, a job for life, a cheap entry to the housing market. Money for golf and toys and supporting a family on one wage. I can't afford a car let alone a family. Literally didn't earn enough for my girlfriends parents so she left me. Her family were gonna disown her and they were too important to her. I told her I didn't want her to give up her whole family for me and it wasn't that hard to convince her, secretly she thought I was a loser too I think

If you own a house or are paying it off and don't have to deal with the stress and cost to move all your laserdiscs and other stuff every few years be very very grateful, hang on to it, never lose it. You don't know how fortunate you are..

Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Feb 2018, 09:33, edited 1 time in total. _________________
SONY MDP-355GX, DVDO iscan VP50, SONY KVHR-M36

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 09:30 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good morning from these UK Shores Forper,

Good to read from you....... Understood & I mean that.

We cannot choose Family but we of course can choose our Friends, and we should of course choose very wisely for sure.

I think there is a glitch on this forum as I wasn't able to make changes, spelling or punctuation corrections to my message.
I have just checked again and can now correct some grammatical errors.

If you ever need to share them please feel free to send a pm, I am trustworthy and of course given the opportunity and time it would be a privilege and an honor.

Keep in touch but of course no pressure at all Sir

Kindest Regards

:thumbup: :wave:

Last edited by benmbe on 25 Feb 2018, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 09:33 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks Benbe

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 16:39 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

giannis wrote:
i guess laserdisc fan you wont bid your house when madonna ld shows up right?????????

The Madonna title was in a different league to the Matrix HK title for sale.
The condition of the Madonna LD was pristine. The cover was still completely sealed when I bought it with absolutely no wear at all to any part of the sleeve whereas the Matrix title was clearly an ex-rental with substantial wear as indicated by the seller.
The Madonna LD also had a thick Japanese constructed dovetailed sleeve - it even said Made in Japan on the back, unlike the flimsy sleeves produced in Hong Kong that are no better than standard USA sleeves.
There was no foreign text anywhere on the Madonna sleeve to ruin the lovely artwork. It's actually one of the best looking sleeves I've ever seen when enlarged to LP size.
It also had no hardcoded subtitles in the picture as it offered switchable closed captions.
I've covered in great detail elsewhere about the exclusive content on the Madonna LD which no other version of the same title offered in that same form.
Most importantly of all though the final bid price was $250 so over 3.5 times cheaper than the Matrix.
Madonna was an utmost bargain at $250, Matrix HK at $880 was most definitely not.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 17:28 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
benmbe wrote:
Cut in wages and so on.

Tell me about it brother, it's the decline of the Western World. I'm still in debt for $40,000 for my uni when I was 20 at 40 years old, my wage still barely breaks the average for a fresh graduate.

My Dad got free uni, a job for life, a cheap entry to the housing market. Money for golf and toys and supporting a family on one wage. I can't afford a car let alone a family. Literally didn't earn enough for my girlfriends parents so she left me. Her family were gonna disown her and they were too important to her. I told her I didn't want her to give up her whole family for me and it wasn't that hard to convince her, secretly she thought I was a loser too I think

If you own a house or are paying it off and don't have to deal with the stress and cost to move all your laserdiscs and other stuff every few years be very very grateful, hang on to it, never lose it. You don't know how fortunate you are..

I can't agree more with this.
Good luck and hang in there.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 18:12 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Laserdisc fan I didn’t compared matrix with madonna...I thought that you would understood my point.for someone it’s the matrix for other it’s madonna that gives them the kick.there are ofcourse people who like both.my point was that either way you can’t say that matrix hk it’s not rare even more than madonna one cause the demand for it it’s 1000% more than the madonna one.proof of this is that whenever matrix hk had showed up on eBay had been sold for top money and this has happened no more than three times.on the other hand madonna showed up once and you only bid on it.as far as condition goes when you bid on madonna you bid blindently cause this auction had only one picture and wasn’t clear about condition.bottom line is that when you bought madonna you didn’t even knew what you will get so ....your bargain was a pure luck product

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 18:17 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I mean I like the Matrix and all but give me rare Madonna over P&S Matrix any day......

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 18:38 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

giannis wrote:
as far as condition goes when you bid on madonna you bid blindently cause this auction had only one picture and wasn’t clear about condition.bottom line is that when you bought madonna you didn’t even knew what you will get so ....your bargain was a pure luck product

I didn't know of its existence until I saw that auction, but I had checked LDDB.com before I actually bid and did know of an unverified possible entry for it - it was actually listed with the wrong title but correct catalogue number. I'd also checked discogs.com and knew there was no standard Madonna LP vinyl sleeve with this cover so I was very confident this really was a laserdisc. Remember I spend way more time on discogs.com than lddb.com because of my love of music. The seller's pictures weren't very good but there was enough shown to see it looked nice condition and it was also described as sealed. That was enough info for me to take a chance and bid. I didn't want to draw the seller's attention to it unduly by asking additional questions since he might change his mind about selling it or increase the price. I figured worst case I could return it for a full refund if it didn't turn out to be a laserdisc if he had described it in error. All in all it was one of the best decisioins I ever made.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2018, 20:15 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
I mean I like the Matrix and all but give me rare Madonna over P&S Matrix any day......

Well, like already mentioned before, it's open matte, not P&S.

Although that really should be irrelevant since that's not how the movie was intended to be shown. It's why Kubrick and probably Cameron preferred an open aperture; they knew their movies were gonna wind up on home video and television eventually, and showing more better than showing less and ending up with a really cramped shot, especially when it's a wide scope movie, but it's still not how it's supposed to be seen; a perfectionist like Kubrick surely would've never deliberately left the shadow of the helicopter in the opening credits of The Shining!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 11:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

To be fair, we don't know the circumstances - it could be the last Hong Kong LD release these bidders needed to complete a collection. In itself it obviously isn't of a value anywhere near the amount paid but to the person who bought it, it's obviously worthwhile.

it's looking at a snapshot and not knowing the full picture that makes it look crazy.

VHS/betamax collectors do the same thing...

Things like stamps and coins tend to have intrinsic value and don't tend to show this craziness - but then, if it's a specific expensive stamp, it will always be that expensive - whereas at least here, there are still bargains to be had.

Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next