It is currently 12 Jun 2021, 12:50




 Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 19:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 21:02
Posts: 72
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
When the laser goes to read the disc or get a reflection you can actually see the red light turn on inside the lens. What am I missing here ?
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 19:20 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 05:57
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 49 times
primetarget wrote:
When the laser goes to read the disc or get a reflection you can actually see the red light turn on inside the lens. What am I missing here ?


Are you talking about the CLD-1010 specifically, or all LD players?

I personally cannot see with my naked eye, a 780nm IR laser. I can see the 632nm and 650nm red lasers on the HeNe player and DVD player.

As I said before though, there is a little red light near the pickup on the CLD-1010, but that is not the laser.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 19:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
User avatar

Joined: 03 May 2004, 19:05
Posts: 7169
Location: Dullaware
Has thanked: 720 times
Been thanked: 488 times
I just want to add a disclaimer here for all.
It really isn't the best thing to look at lasers.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2018, 22:50 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 05:57
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 49 times
rein-o wrote:
I just want to add a disclaimer here for all.
It really isn't the best thing to look at lasers.



thanks rein-o, that is 100% true. You should where special glasses. I should have said that in my posts initially.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 02:06 
Honest fan
Honest fan
User avatar

Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 21:02
Posts: 72
Location: Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
9954tony wrote:
primetarget wrote:
When the laser goes to read the disc or get a reflection you can actually see the red light turn on inside the lens. What am I missing here ?


Are you talking about the CLD-1010 specifically, or all LD players?

I personally cannot see with my naked eye, a 780nm IR laser. I can see the 632nm and 650nm red lasers on the HeNe player and DVD player.

As I said before though, there is a little red light near the pickup on the CLD-1010, but that is not the laser.


To clarify all players. Also to further clarify I am not looking directly into the laser :)

You can see it at a slight angle.
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2018, 03:04 
Serious fan
Serious fan
User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2015, 05:57
Posts: 186
Location: United States
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 49 times
primetarget wrote:
9954tony wrote:
primetarget wrote:
When the laser goes to read the disc or get a reflection you can actually see the red light turn on inside the lens. What am I missing here ?


Are you talking about the CLD-1010 specifically, or all LD players?

I personally cannot see with my naked eye, a 780nm IR laser. I can see the 632nm and 650nm red lasers on the HeNe player and DVD player.

As I said before though, there is a little red light near the pickup on the CLD-1010, but that is not the laser.


To clarify all players. Also to further clarify I am not looking directly into the laser :)

You can see it at a slight angle.


Okay, i personally can't see that wavelenght (780nm) at a side angle or anything. When referring to the "red" laser of the cld-1010, it is referring to a red-orange wavelength of ~630nm which is very visible, hurts your eyes to look at it from any angle without glasses.

the cld-1010 laserdisc archive says this:
Quote:
The laser uses the Accu-Focus system, and achieves a .55 micron laser spot for 420 lines of resolution. In addition, the LaserRF amp is attached directly to the pickup, for RF-noise rejection. The player also incorporates Video Noise Coring, that eliminates video noise (snow) in dark parts of the picture. This helps tremendously with imperfectly pressed CLV/CAA Extended Play titles. One extra special aspect of the CLD-1010, and what sets it apart from all other Solid State LD players, either before or since, is its Laser Diode uses a RED laser of 6228 Angstroms. No other LD player or CD player with a Diode Laser has used a red laser.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laser ... d-1010.htm

That statement on laserdisc archive, contradicts the service manual for the cld-1010, that specifies 780nm for the laser (you can google angstrom to nm to convert, but 780nm is 7800 angstrom, 6228 angstrom is 622nm). Further, the link to the history of lasers I provided earlier clearly indicates that a diode laser of that wavelength (<670) was still in R&D in 1987.

That is what I am trying to say, that the information on laserdisc archive, and subsequent references to the same, contradict the manual and other sources about lasers. Using the word "red" is probably too vague or ambiguous, because as rein-o pointed out earlier, they are all "some kind of red".
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: cld-1010 mythbusters
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2018, 17:11 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan
User avatar

Joined: 25 Jul 2010, 19:45
Posts: 583
Location: Canada
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Just something to add regarding manuals. I have 2 cld-3030 players, and my manual for it says the RCA jacks are gold coloured. Neither of my 2 players have gold coloured jacks, and I have seen many other 3030 players pics on ebay with no gold jacks either.
So the manual is not accurate they probably changed that idea, after the manual was already printed.

I remember them saying the cld-1010 being the first to play the new 5" cdv was a fast addition and something about putting a extra piece of paper in the box explaining how to play the cdv as it was not printed in the manual. I don't have my cld-1010 anymore, but the red laser (if true) could have been added after the manuals were printed.
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: