It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:14

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Future
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 10:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I've started reading about Ultra HD.

Things that appeal to me about it:

-The first region-free format since Laserdisc.
-Seemingly good takeup with a good chance of continuing with stock of players and new titles for a decade or more.
-Quite a few decent, non-dumbed down releases already under it's belt.
-The ability to have a single universal 4.72inch disc player (CD, SACD, DVD, UHD, USB HDDs for me)
-Decent looking packaging.
-Cool Japanese scenery discs.
-The increasing amount of Japan market anime releases with English subtitles.

This looks more and more like a potential "forever format" as it becomes less and less likely I can continue to rely on laserdisc players as my main video transport.

Don't get me wrong. I will NEVER give up on laserdisc. However it can't realistically be a daily machine for the next 20 years or more for me. The idea would be to occassionally use my LD players for my beloved music collection and those special box sets.

Drawbacks of joining the modern world:

-Will my future HDR TV contain a nice analogue comb filter for my LD player? I have to roll the dice or bring my LD player into the store before purchase? Subjective reports from online only go so far, I mean it's "good" or "bad" compared to what? I'm very happy currently with LD to a Sony wide CRT. Would I be dissapointed by LD on ANY flat screen? OLED?

-Lack of current "really nice" UHD player on the market. The Pioneer BDP-LX88 (solid build, good looks, presence) looks "really nice" to me but doesn't do native 4K. I guess I'd have to wait for Pioneer's new flagship. The Sony players are uninspiring flat bars, even their ES model. Just don't excite me. I know only what comes out of it should matter, but the machine's looks DO matter to me.

-Is "increased colour gamut" really weird on old movies? Could I turn it off?

I'm only even considering this because I'm selling off a few things and may have some cash to make the entry. Or I can continue to pay and pray for ancient LD equipment I have little expertise in maintaining.

Blu Ray never appealed to me in the same way UHD does. I tried it but never considered seriously following it. Due to bad looking packaging and too many poor releases, bargain bin effect.

I might add more here as it comes to me. Any thoughts on The Future (tm)?

Post subject: Re: The Future
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 15:50 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

From the gents who already have upgraded to 4K, they say that plugging their LD players into the displays via just composite have yielded very good results:

What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K TV's

I am thinking of jumping into 4K too, once I get my finances in order (moving again soon), and like you I want to get one of those play 'em all players with 8-channel output. One of the Sony or Oppo's on this site (because their 4K players are also region free for DVD and standard blu-ray):

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-f ... ayers.html

I probably won't completely abandon LD, but I might start thinning the collection out of titles I have gotten on blu-ray and 4Kbr. So long as there aren't supplements or edits that make keeping the LD release worth holding onto.

I find myself doing that with even some DVD releases that have supplements that later releases don't have.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2018, 20:48 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
From the gents who already have upgraded to 4K, they say that plugging their LD players into the displays via just composite have yielded very good results:

What are you using to upscale your LD Player on New 4K TV's

Again you have to know what they were coming from, were they going LCD to 4K? Then they're probably going to be impressed anyway. The only person coming from CRT in the tread seems to be Zeta. I asked him about his experience. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
I am thinking of jumping into 4K too, once I get my finances in order (moving again soon), and like you I want to get one of those play 'em all players with 8-channel output. One of the Sony or Oppo's on this site (because their 4K players are also region free for DVD and standard blu-ray):

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-f ... ayers.html

Those are seriously cheap. Great value no doubt but I want a "serious" deck if I get into it. Hopefully Pioneer does a serious player. We have a few sellers in Australia on ebay that mod the DVD and Blu ray sections for all-region as well. I really like that UHD is region free from the start though. Less BS. More like you actually own the movie. I wonder how menus and warnings are? I would be real happy if it went straight into the show from the start just like LD.

Quote:
I probably won't completely abandon LD, but I might start thinning the collection out of titles I have gotten on blu-ray and 4Kbr. So long as there aren't supplements or edits that make keeping the LD release worth holding onto.

I find myself doing that with even some DVD releases that have supplements that later releases don't have.

No that's pretty similar to what I'm thinking. Some LDs (and even some DVDs) are irreplaceable and I never want to lose that LD feeling. So a UHD deck wouldn't be a total replacement. More like the central workhorse. If the performance was good enough it could replace my planned CDP and SACD player upgrades as well.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 10:36 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Quick update. After preparing to move and sorting through my old school stuff I realise I was high.

The truth is still wide CRT and a solid, good looking modified DVD player like my Sony DVP-S7700 backed up by a few LD players. Media in future will be R2 DVD only..

Also sticking with the original dream of vintage Sony ES audio. Nothing else compares in the end.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 16:41 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

forper wrote:
a UHD deck wouldn't be a total replacement. More like the central workhorse.
If the performance was good enough it could replace my planned CDP and SACD player upgrades as well.

i wouldn't recommend quadruple-duty on a modern-day optical videodisc player, that is, if you want it to last you as long as possible.
nothing beats a set of dedicated players for each individual media format, on the strength of that longevity factor alone, if nothing else...

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 10:00 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

tasuke wrote:
forper wrote:
a UHD deck wouldn't be a total replacement. More like the central workhorse.
If the performance was good enough it could replace my planned CDP and SACD player upgrades as well.

i wouldn't recommend quadruple-duty on a modern-day optical videodisc player, that is, if you want it to last you as long as possible.
nothing beats a set of dedicated players for each individual media format, on the strength of that longevity factor alone, if nothing else...

Yeah I've been thinking about that too. I mean my trusty 1989 Sony CDP-991 has a nice deep tray, super fast loading and has been in operation for almost 30 damn years! Sounds very nice still. I operate it about 7-8 hours a day on average.

I doubt I could get that performance and reliability out of a modern machine. Even the shallow tray of todays machines would no doubt crush a few discs with the rate I change them out. I doubt the load time on an LX88 could beat a 991.

Everyone talks about the build quality of the LX88 but I can't find any info on load times and tray looks shallow.

Yeah guess I'll just get my brain back in focus and aim for what I always want in the end, Sony ES CD player and amp, backed up by nice Sony video decks..Already have my dream TV and speakers (SS-AL5 Mk II), just got to keep following the dream..don't get sidetracked by modern gadgets and "convenience"..

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 16:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i do like my 2008 PIONEER BDP-05FD BD player, and it plays every BRD i throw at it flawlessly,
but i'd LOVE to replace it with a BDP-LX88/88FD. probably the last old-fashioned, overbuilt, no-holds-barred A/V source component anyone will ever field;

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 10:31 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yep those analogue outs sure are tempting on the LX88 but I'm now at peace with my decision to stick with vintage ES Sony for life! :angel:

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 13:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Future still long live for vhs LD and CRT....remember the rest are files you can play anywhere anytime

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 16:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

This is the reason to get a good quality video processor now while they are still available, regardless of what display upgrades I do my LD system travels with me...

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 16:16 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades 8-)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 18:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

pbiancardi wrote:
This is the reason to get a good quality video processor now while they are still available, regardless of what display upgrades I do my LD system travels with me...

the good quality video processor will break before your Panasonic VHS mechanics :)

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2018, 19:26 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

ertoili wrote:
pbiancardi wrote:

the good quality video processor will break before your Panasonic VHS mechanics :)

Seriously? I have video processors that are 20+ years old that look and work like new.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]