It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:39

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Let's Have a Real Discussion About Laserdiscs and BluRay
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 19:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Alright, all. I want to have a discussion… it involves Blu-Ray, so let’s all take a deep breath. In all seriousness, I want to ask everyone what they do about ‘modern day movies.’ We are obviously all here in part because we enjoy and appreciate films. So my question for you is where does Laserdisc fit into your life?

When I think about other formats I collect like vinyl records, it is quite clear that I enjoy the physicality of the format and the artwork - BUT, it is incredibly high quality, and for only $10 a month additionally, I have a portable service (Apple Music) with all my content on my smartphone.

Laserdisc is different here. I would picture myself purchasing Laserdiscs for older movies and BluRay for more recent year 2000+ content (or stuff that was only in P/S for LD). But, then it pulls me into the thought… the discs are becoming cheaper and despite me having multiple copies of Alien… should I buy the Blu Ray also - but once that happens why I would spin the Laserdisc anymore?

I think if there were a digital service that had EVERY movie for a set price a month, then this would be an easy question and collecting LD would just be my ‘for giggles’ enjoyment.

I think you can see my thought processes here. I love collecting laserdiscs, but mainly because I don’t buy current day movies. However, with the price of many movies dropping in price on BluRay (BR), I’m not sure what to do. For example, I recently made a purchase of the Back to The Future trilogy, which cost me about $40, but buying the BR with special features on Amazon would have been $15.

Not to mention that I dropped about $400 on Laserdisc equipment when this could go much further with a more modern format. This makes me scratch my head a bit, wondering if I am going too far. I used to tell myself that there is content on LD that doesn’t exist on BR, and there is… but in truth, it’s all there on BR for the most part.

How do you fit different movie formats into your life? Do you just collect Laserdiscs or do you dip into modern movies - how and what formats? For those of you who purchase Blu-Rays too, do you repurchase your older LD movies in the BR format or once you have laserdisc - are you set with that film?

Remember, I LOVE Laserdiscs, and the community is rad - one of the reasons I love being a part of it. When I started with a $50 player and paid only $3 a disc it made sense, but times are changing ($400 for a player and $5-15 a disc), and I realize that with my entire collection, I could sell it and go out to purchase around 60 HD films for the same price.

Not to mention that I enjoy my entertainment on large screens and it seems a good number of people here keep their TVs quite small which is ideal for the older content. Does anyone blow up the pictures for 75-inch screens?

I look forward to hearing your honest thoughts about why YOU collect the format. How do you fit Laserdisc into your life? Be honest, is it practical at all or is it all fun and the desire for higher HD images just doesn’t exist for you?

Again, calm and real discussion to be had. Thanks, all.

Post subject: Re: Let's Have a Real Discussion About Laserdiscs and BluRay
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 20:56 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I can kind of barely be bothered but best friends sometimes describe me as a khunt :-) so here we go! All things being equal (or even somewhat unequal) BD PQ s**ts on LD. The bigger the screen the more noticeable it gets; simple really. We love and collect LD for other reasons. The length of your post doesn't excuse the inability to figure that all out. Neither do we all necessarily need to jump up and defend our personal reasons.

Your whole post while seeming genuineish also basically tends to read as comment bait; kind of more so than a genuine enquiry. Sorry if it's not meant to be but it does. This isn't Facebook (thankfully). "Not to mention that I dropped about $400 on Laserdisc equipment when this could go much further with a more modern format. This makes me scratch my head a bit, wondering if I am going too far."

LOL I've blown way much more money on outdated irrelevant formats. Can''t work it out? (despite saying how you love LD)? Oh poor dear, just get/wait for the 4K HDR release (or perhaps some counselling as needed???).

Sorry for sounding somewhat harsh, but if you don''t have your reasons for collecting LD then why are you? and if you need our validation to do it.........

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 22:25 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you watch all old movies on LD and only new ones on BR you’re missing out on a LOT. The fact that you even make that distinction on purpose makes me feel you put too much thought into this kind of thing. If you aren’t enjoying LD then please sell your stuff to someone local and move on.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:03 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Well he does have a sweet looking cat in his pic.
I've got to update my picture with both our girls.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:21 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I did contemplate on the point of spending enough money on a Laserdisc player to also get me a new region A bluray player, but the thing is, nothing's really stopping me from buying the latter anyway (except having been burned by the garbage tech that doesn't even last a year, so it was a matter of a whole new experience vs a negative past one), plus I obviously didn't get a Laserdisc player because of the picture quality.

To me, the Laserdisc player and the blu-ray player are for completely different kinds of content. The stuff I've bought on LD so far haven't even been released on DVD for the most part, let alone blu.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2018, 23:32 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

My main reason for continuing to buy Laserdiscs during the DVD years was that DVD wasn't the huge upgrade that it was supposed to be. LD still compared well to it, and sometimes the LD package was the better release.

Now that true HD formats have come along for the past 12 years or so, I find it hard to find a reason to keep LDs of movies that are out on blu-ray (or HD-DVD in some cases) since the HD version is superior in every way 99.9999999999999999999999% of the time. Of course, for my favorite movies, I tend to keep all formats that I have it on--just for my idiotic collector mentality.

I also didn't jump into blu-ray until region-free players became more affordable. So glad I did, because the UK's Arrow Video pretty much puts out the definitive versions of the movies they release.

And yes, I do buy new movies too, so of course I get them on blu-ray.

But there are still a good amount of titles that haven't made the leap to HD (the list is getting smaller, but they're still there), so I'll definitely hold onto LD for that.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 04:21 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Oh Dear, how brutal am I?

(Mental note to self - don't post after a friend insists on helping them finish all the sangria they made! :twisted: )

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 12:25 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Reasons I have LDs by Forper:

- Aliens or Blade Runner or Predator or Star Wars or Robocop or 2001 etc etc wasn't supposed to look like RESOLUTION and PIXELS > They were supposed to look like MOVIES. They still look like MOVIES on LD, on Blu Ray: NO. Saying movies look better on Blu Ray is like saying the Mona Lisa would look better with some smoothing out and some more vibrant colours, as well as some extra CGI tie fighters in the background.

-LD was made in a time that I remember when the world wasn't dumb. Products were better and people were prepared to pay more than $5 for a movie. Stuff was actually valued. Liner notes were added, boxes were made that actually look good on the shelf. Now you get a crappy transparent blue piece of crap case for $5 or a tacky tin box that rusts for $10. And fu cking idiots buy this sh it. I mean the lowest common denominator. That's where distributors have figured out where the profits are, with the masses of drooling idiots who leave their TVs on "motionflow 200hz" mode because it looks "just like real life". To suit studios now master their movies for idiot consumption. LD was out of my reach until I was about 30 due to being a kid then a lot of unemployment, homelessness and poverty but it was always and will always be the grail format for me.

-I don't really care about any new content this century, a few documentaries about war but that's about it.

-I have quite a few music LDs that aren't out on any other format.

-I am completely satisfied with the sound and vision on almost all the LDs in my collection, why would I "upgrade"?

-That said I know the LD players are dying and one day I won't be able to afford to repair or replace my two functioning ones so I'm looking at a universal UHD player to play my DVDs (Just try getting Pee Wee's Playhouse or Get A Life on LD!!) and possibly get a few UHD 4K discs of scenery for interest. Maybe if there's actually some authentic releases of older movies I don't have on LD too as it seems more geared at serious people? with pricing and I really like the no region coding just like LD, also the better looking packaging than BD. So I'd have that and use my LD players sparingly.

-Maybe the people that scoff at LD actually having a more authentic picture than BD for old movies have never seen my setup of S-video LD to Sony wide HD CRT with Super Fine Pitch turned on and my DVDO scaler to finely adjust the aspect ratio to actual. Nothing beats it now or ever. The ultimate way to watch movies. No macroblocking, no menus, no clipped sound, no compression, no worries :cool:

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 15:49 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
with the masses of drooling idiots who leave their TVs on "motionflow 200hz" mode because it looks "just like real life".

Oh man, is that what its called.
I went over to some idiots house once and he was all excited about his new bluray and TV, I kept asking why it was all gittery and choppy.
He said it was the fact that it was adjusted to get the 60FPS or something like that.

I couldn't watch it without feeling sick or feeling that the film was choppy, he said you get used to it :wtf:

Now I own a newer TV set but have enough sense to not put these settings on for films that do not take advantage of the situation.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2018, 21:41 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I can think of thousands of reasons why Laserdisc is the best format ever!

Here's just 10:

The Blue Nile - Downtown Lights
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Red Light
Roachford - Kathleen
Berlin - Like Flames
Survivor - I Can't Hold Back
Bad English - Forget Me Not
Beastie Boys - She's On It
Bass-O-Matic - Fascinating Rhythm
K-Klass - Rhythm is a Mystery
Duran Duran - Breath After Breath

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 16:40 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I think this question, like all things, come down to the individual. I have asked the very question to myself as I have expanded my collecting over the last 6 months.

For me, I simply enjoy the technology and nostalgia aspect of the format. I enjoy watching movies on a format most people don't know exists. I bought my MDP600 brand new in 1993 from Circuit City and I still use it today. So for me personally, the nostalgia piece is a big part of this. As everyone here knows, LD was "the" standard for movies back then. I remember that and still have a fondness for it. I enjoy that experience.

I also look at LD the way audiophiles look at vinyl. I grew up in the cassette era and was in my mid-teens when CD first came out in the mid-80s. I had some 45s through the 70s and early 80s but I didn't have a collection of vinyl albums. I wasn't in to vinyl because I was too young. I bought cassettes. When CD came along, I immediate went there because, in my opinion, CDs were far, far superior to the cassettes I was buying. I still prefer buying a CD today over a digital download if I can.

However, a lot of audio purists, to this day, feel CDs suck when compared to the "warmth" of vinyl. We now see vinyl making a comeback in the face of digital music. It amazes me how many vinyl albums are being released and re-released. For the audio guys - I get it. It's an analog vs digital argument an dit makes sense to me why some people prefer to listen to music on vinyl. It's a different experience.

Just like a vinyl album, LD presents movies how they were back in that era. Depending on the transfer source there at nicks, spots, noise, imperfections and reel markers in the presentation - just like it was in the theater. Side changes on LD are just like side changes on a vinyl album. For me - I really like those things. It reminds me of what the movie experience was really like (except for the side change, unless you consider that an intermission) in the theater during that era.

For newer movies not available on LD, there's no choice. I'd go with BD only because it is the only option. But as I began to re-build my LD collection, I did stop and ask msyelf several times: am I being stupid for buying a 20 year old LD version of a movie if a BD version is out there?

The answer I came to was no. It's not stupid. I enjoy the LD format so if something is on LD and it is not a crazy amount of money I'll buy the LD version. My only real criteria for buying something on LD versus BD is letterbox. There are some movies I really want on LD but they are only available in P&S. I can't bring myself to buy a P&S version of something unless the original material was P&S to start with.

I guess the bottom line is this: if you enjoy the format, enjoy the format and go get some movies and watch them. I enjoy LD because I like the LD experience and what it represents and what it reminds me of.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 18:40 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

i happened across an LD player at a FUTURE SHOP back around the mid/late-90's,
bored stiff wandering about while my parents were busy choosing a new TV and VCR.

i had no idea what it was, and as a stupid kid, i was only distantly curious about it.
even so, i managed to get the disc tray open and inside was the biggest CD i'd ever seen!!

some years later, i found out about LD in earnest during my first internet surfings,
(mostly thanks to hearing about the old DRAGON's LAIR LD coin-op game in a retro video game site)
and that led me to EBAY's LD player listings and the PIONEER CLD-3030,
the first "heart-throb, must-own" A/V component i had ever seen in my life.

a few years later, -about 2005- my grandma takes me around to some thrift and pawn shops for my B-day,
picks me up my first LDP, -a PIONEER CLD-1080- for $50 and 20/30 discs at $2/7.00ea. at a video shop.

a couple years later, -around 2007- i finally acquire the 3030 i fell in love with, off of the BAY, for about $60 shipped...

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 20:26 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

So my question to have a real discussion is: Where did our OP go, he started this topic and is that it, is that what he was trying to accomplish??
Very odd. Is he reading these posts?? And everybody is posting what they have posted in numerous other topics.
I know why I collect LDs but does anybody else know why they collect them, and should it be common knowledge as to why we collect things.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 21:01 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

randyv wrote:
It's not stupid. I enjoy the LD format so if something is on LD and it is not a crazy amount of money I'll buy the LD version.

I guess the bottom line is this: if you enjoy the format, enjoy the format and go get some movies and watch them. I enjoy LD because I like the LD experience and what it represents and what it reminds me of.

Well put.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 22:38 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Good day Gentlemen ie,

Marcham93, Audioboyz1973, Signofzeta, Rein-o, Takeshi666, Elahrairrah, Forper, Laserdisc_fan, Randyv, Tasuke & Je280,

Laserdisc_fan: The Blue Nile - Downtown Lights Love Blue Nile that band produce great musical works (Thank you for sharing.)

Guys I have just read all of your posts, and to be honest my pennies worth is quite redundant However, as a fellow member who appreciates the company here, and as words of thanks for each view point and comments conveyed by all of the above.

Marcham93 Thank you for starting this Subject;
Each person here is an individual who's right it is to freely express, and equally by taking the time (in fact I am at work but I Made the time to read all of your comments.) I used this time wisely as Contractors carrying out their duties meant that I had to stay where I was..... So here I am.

Each one' weather (and from) the initial intro, and there afterward I Genuinely enjoyed and reflected upon and thought of my own experiences with the formats I have: CD / MD / LD / DVD / HD DVD / BLU-RAY & BLU-RAY 4K ........ I love this hobby and all that it brings.

A level of civility here is to be maintained at all times, otherwise this forum will fade in it's appeal to all those who cherish coming here and contributing with each unique angle.

I could convey many things here ''that for all intents and purposes have been covered in my previous posts''

Due to the many hours I work, when coming off shift it takes time to clear ones mind, I haven't watched a laserdisc on my new TV for many months, I need more cables analogue to HDMI converter and other items are in need of purchase and completion........ Available disposable income after bills and so on.

The latest TV's have less Legacy inputs and this poses what can be obstacles....... Laserdisc is a format that I shall never part with, and my aim is to get all of these connections and other connections sorted, however it has been slow.....I invested heavily into the Laserdisc Format and for good reason ''I am so glad I did at the time''

I still have around £1200 worth of laserdiscs to pay for from a trusted seller who reserved and I shall see this through........Hopefully by end of this year 2018.
After this my laserdisc collecting will be 99% complete apart from the odd title here and there.

To be honest it's been a long arduous journey, a downright struggle if I am completely honest....... But Remains the best Format for me personally.

However I only purchase 4K Blu-Ray discs now, unless one of the studios only releases the Blu-Ray version of a title I like.

I have The MATRIX on DVD / (LD Preferred) and HD DVD (Warners rotters Damn it) and so with the announcement that this is coming out on 4K pleases me greatly.

I have been informed that Star Trek Voyager will not be released on Blu-Ray, as The Next Generation re-mastered onto Blu-Ray box sets did not sell as well as hoped
So it looks like I shall purchase the above on DVD, sometimes you go with what is available, it can be disappointing at times but that's the way it is, and we all know that.

Guys as mentioned above I am grateful for reading each of your viewpoints and passion of such.

I enjoy 4K for what it offers and when done right is superb, and when Purchasing from the USA can cost up to £42-50 inclusive of postage & taxes, and if I have the funds to do this then I do so with joy knowing that I have purchased something exclusive for me personally....... It's personal that's all.

I prefer physical media, however there is room for both and shall be looking at the purchase of a media Hard drive for my music needs as I am a member of a numerous specialised online retailers.
There is so much music 24bit studio masters that I have listened to that are superb, but around 20% that I would like to own on CD is not on offer, so download it will need to be.

My Point is this and we can all relate to this I am sure: I want quality in music and Movies and so, if it's available I will go with what is shall purchase the necessary in order to obtain....., It takes time with all of these things as we all know.

The main thing is that we enjoy our purchases and enjoy the experiences that accompany such fruits of our labours.

I for one appreciate: Marcham93 viewpoints of which are Genuinely valid...... What ever your needs are go with it and enjoy, and I look forward to the reading from you on any subject that you may have.

One of the reasons why I like this site ''especially to post on like no other'' is because it's quite a unique experience here......... I like that and hope with all seriousness that you all do to, and if not then that's ok also.

Sincerest Regards to everyone and take good care of yourselves,

Kindest Regards

:wave: :thumbup: :wave: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 06:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

rein-o wrote:
So my question to have a real discussion is: Where did our OP go, he started this topic and is that it, is that what he was trying to accomplish??
Very odd. Is he reading these posts?? And everybody is posting what they have posted in numerous other topics.
I know why I collect LDs but does anybody else know why they collect them, and should it be common knowledge as to why we collect things.

The same question word for word was posted on a certain LD facebook site. My feeling is the OP got what he wanted there, reams of the same old responses to the same old question. This why thing has to be the most done to death topic with LD. Phrasing it in the most long winded way doesn't change that. I'm sure no-one gets onto classic car sites and starts questioning why keep some old thing when you can go get the latest model with so much better performance.

Seems my narky first response born of this frustration set a different tone here!! Apologies to the membership for that. Not so much the OP for asking the same silly question yet again!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2018, 16:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

audioboyz1973 wrote:
The same question word for word was posted on a certain LD facebook site. My feeling is the OP got what he wanted there, reams of the same old responses to the same old question. This why thing has to be the most done to death topic with LD. Phrasing it in the most long winded way doesn't change that. I'm sure no-one gets onto classic car sites and starts questioning why keep some old thing when you can go get the latest model with so much better performance.

Every message board has it's staple of cliche posts like this; new posters who always ask the same, obvious, questions.

Honestly, I wish the biggest offenders would just be turned into stickies so new posters would be forced to think of something else to post about :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 10:22 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

It seems like the laserdisc honeymoon is over for marcham93 and he is wanting a quick divorce from the format!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2018, 19:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
It seems like the laserdisc honeymoon is over for marcham93 and he is wanting a quick divorce from the format!

That gives me an idea.

Hey marcham93, you're absolutely right, this is a totally silly hobby! I'll help you get rid of your player for 20 bucks. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2018, 10:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

For me, it has always been about collecting films (often very rare ones), not formats.

Nowadays I have films on the following formats:
DVD (ca. 3300)
VHS (ca. 720)
Video CD (ca. 550)
Blu-Ray (ca. 530)
Laserdisc (ca. 250)
Betamax (ca. 20)
Super-8 (ca. 20)
HD-DVD (16)
VHD Videodisc (ca. 15)

On EVERY of these formats, I own at least one film (in most cases, significantly more than one!) which can't be substituted in EQUAL (or better) quality on ANY of the other
formats.
That being said, there are always plenty of other reasons for a film collector to buy a film on an older format (open matte; minor differences of the print used, e.g. reel changes, print damage, different colour grading, whatever; great cover; sense of nostalgia; interest in older/other technologies; great players; etc.).

The fact that my home cinema set-up supports so many formats these days also gives me the opportunity to seek out each format's hidden treasures. Take the best of all worlds.
Of course it would be nice to have a Criterion blu-ray or even UHD blu-ray quality release of each and every film in my collection, but since this is without the shadow a doubt never ever going to happen, I don't need to ask myself why I'd still be in need of older technologies.

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next