It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:26

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cool LD Find + A Couple Noob Questions
PostPosted: 18 May 2018, 23:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So as I've been expanding my LD movie library I've been wanting to at least get a second player in good working order. There was a posting up on my local CL for awhile for a CLD D504 and I finally bit. Turns out the owner was the founder of the original "The Singing Company" in Kansas City. Long since retired and a really nice guy. We had a pretty long chat about his history with the business, how it was the first karaoke place in this general area etc... He actually got away from singing for a bit but reignited his passion for it some years back at a concert, and digitized this whole LD collection. Ended up getting the player, all his karaoke LDs (some pretty cool ones too, even Japanese discs with songs I know, about 90 all together) and a couple of 30 capacity LD holding cases (never seen anything like them before but I assume they were sold at retail, they have a wood frame and the holders that come out are gray plastic) branded the "The Singing Company" on the side.

I'm wondering a couple things.

This is the first time I've ran into actual discs with visible physical wear and tear. Some have some edge chips, inner ring cracks etc... Are these safe to put in a player?

It didn't come with the remote. Running into the exact remote might be a little tricky so I was wondering what other remote models would have good compatibility with this player.

Post subject: Re: Cool LD Find + A Couple Noob Questions
PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 00:00 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Off the top of my head I can’t think of any special features on the 504 that you can’t use with other decks. The D/A and L/R buttons may be the “new style” (ie: one button instead of two) or old but that’s the only potential issue I can think of.

The 504 is a nice machine. The video is just OK but from my experience it’s a tough machine and it has all the “must” features like Both Side Play and digital audio but without a high price.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 00:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks.

Yeah I'm happy with the picture, now I just need to get a demodulator for the audio.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 16:24 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was wondering if this remote would work with my 504: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-CU-CLD ... SweBFar~EC

My only main concern is being able to switch audio tracks for commentary. Thanks in advance to anyone able to answer.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 20:01 
True fan
True fan

That remote should work for you, it's for the slightly older 503 model, most of the pioneer LD remote codes are the same with a few exceptions.

As for the audio that remote has the audio channel button and the separate d/a switch button, I think that's the same setup as the 504, it should work fine for your player.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 05:44 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

If the 504 has a picture anything like the 505, I thought the picture was a bit on the noisy side, but still pretty good.

I do wonder if that one mod one user posted about making a composite output from the IC before the video hits the comb filter would work on this player too?

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 05:54 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Here's the thread with that mod I was talking about if anyone is interested.

CLD-D606 and Video Essentials

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 13:37 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

elahrairrah wrote:
If the 504 has a picture anything like the 505, I thought the picture was a bit on the noisy side, but still pretty good.

I do wonder if that one mod one user posted about making a composite output from the IC before the video hits the comb filter would work on this player too?

Yeah it's not perfect for sure. Watched Arsenic and Old Lace last night and it can be hard to tell if things are on the player or the disc. I know a few things were just film issues from the old transfer. Overall the picture quality is good enough. So far I've only watched very old movies, but I have some anime on the way which will be a more interesting test. Also Ugetsu and Sunrise, a Song of Two Humans but those are both quite old. I like how old movies look and feel on LD.

@sjoerg: I ended up ordering the remote, I think it should work with both of my players.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 14:32 
True fan
True fan

I would say the 504 is a decent player, although IMO not as well made as the 503 series also as mentioned the picture output is not the highest, but still very watchable.

My main gripe with these players is that there is no PCM out, so if you're not playing an ac-3 disc you're stuck with the analog jacks, I do own a Proscan ps46 which I believe is clone of the 504, however Proscan decided to add in a toslink jack, which I think is a nice upgrade.

I hadn't read that link elahrairrah posted, makes me want to have a go at giving an extra upgrade to my proscan player.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 14:43 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Yeah I don't have a player with optical audio out yet. I've got my eyes peeled and given the area I am in, I am prepared to go a ways for a good player. I was willing to drive like 70 miles to get this lot, but the guy was nice enough to meet me in the middle (maybe actually a bit longer drive for him).

In the mean time, I'm looking at audio demodulators.

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 22:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

The remote works great. The only thing it can't do is eject on the 504. I would assume this is because the player has 2 trays it can eject, the LD tray and then a smaller cd tray. It ejects on my other player just fine.

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 23:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

That’s weird. There’s still only one eject function, it just ejects whatever door is selected (if it’s in Direct CD Mode or not). I guess most of the players I’ve had were dual tray except for older pro models (no eject on remote) and the LD-W1. I’ve never heard this mentioned before though.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 May 2018, 23:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I thought it was quite odd, but honestly not a big deal since I have to go up to the player to put the disc in/take it out anyway. I got what I really wanted out of it, which was the ability to change audio tracks. Mainly for Criterion commentaries which are pretty excellent.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]